• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to wash a Beret?

Sounds like someone should be doing their own durned laundry!!  >:D

If your going to wash it with shampoo or detergent make sure you are using something safe for colours. Especially Navy and Army , showing up with a faded Beret just doesnt seem too appealing . Especially if you want to wash it weekly , monthly etc ( Also good for Combats... faded out uniform in general looks bad ).

Apple Mango Tango doesnt help with Color but hey , least your beret smells nice  ;D

Now if I can just figure out how to wash a Peak Cap...  :-\

osjesso said:
Now if I can just figure out how to wash a Peak Cap...   :-\

Officially called a "Hat, Woman's, SD, Sea, Black and White", aka boler , is what you will have.  A peak cap is for the guys.

So its sorta like the winter CF "Bear Hat" for the army, commonly known as...

"Cap, Fuzzy, Ridiculous"

which is not to be worn with Combat Overboots, commonly known as...

"Boots, Rubber, Clumsy"

;D

Gotta love the way the military names kit!

Mud Recce Man said:
Gotta love the way the military names kit!

Whole scene about that in the comedy Privates on Parade where they issue shoes, dancing, Fred Astaire

Hmmm....
You want to do what?
wash your beret?
that manly musk your beret has developed is something you should prize ;)

Wash a beret?  Whadda concept....I think my old one, (which has sat on a shelf now for almost 12 years) still has dirt on it from Wainwright '83.  I think the closest mine ever got to TLC was getting tossed in the washer with the sock load once in a while. The first good rainstorm tended to return it to its proper form.

better yet, unless you are so attached to the one you have, and are afraid that you wont be able to recreate the shape, just buy a new one. 

osjesso, as for your Hat, Womans, SD, Black and White, etc, I am curious as to just why it would need cleaning already?  been doing pushups in DEU on your head? man, basic courses are getting a lot tougher these days. ;)
In my experience, avoidance is the best way for those hat, gender, SD, b&w.  If that doesnt work, your cleaner will depend on the stain - experiment ----- coxn's love multi coloured hats......

Hmm not sure when we will see OSJesso on here all...HLs reports she seen her in the Mess Hall in St Jean last Sunday, so she is probably a weeeeeeeeeee bit busy to get on the computer there.  I think kit-issue is Thursday, and that means the "Spike TV Weekend Sewing Marathon" IIRC from my Basic... ;D

ahhhh, but she is a self confessed internet addict, so if she can lay hands on a machine, im sure she will check in and chat a bit.

In my case...
when my current "good" beret gets ratty, it gets "seconded" to the "field cap" division
and previous "field cap" division beret gets retired to the bottom of the ole barrack box

Got a bunch in there now, still a chance for a few more to find their way there........

geo said:
In my case...
when my current "good" beret gets ratty, it gets "seconded" to the "field cap" division
and previous "field cap" division beret gets retired to the bottom of the ole barrack box

Got a bunch in there now, still a chance for a few more to find their way there........

Geo

This brings a thought to my feeble mind...

Could we, then, not guage how long a soldier/sailor/airman-woman been serving, based on the "amount of said berets" in their ole barrack box?  Sort of how we could the rings on a tree that is cut down????

;D

Mud

(also guage on the old hair line)
(but I digress)
(as the hair distresses)
8)

Back