• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Houthi Red Sea Blockade

More specifically- they don’t have that type of ammo.

I guess I should have been clearer. A missile, drone or other target has to be somewhat close to be within effective range of CIWS, which gather is not more than 2000 metres, probably less. The RN doesn’t stock any specific anti air ammunition for the Mk8 Mod1, so they also do not train for it.
Paradoxically, the Iranian frigate in the Red Sea has the same gun, and they have AA rounds but likely no radar system to guide the mount properly.

The T45 also has 2x DS30B 30 mm gun mounts which could very well have been quickly and quietly replaced with DS30M, which is a crew served 30mm gun and missile system designed for drone engagements. I don’t know how it is guided or what the means of target acquisition are. These have a slightly longer effective range. Would really like to see these on the CSC but very unlikely.

Edit: the reason I brought this up is (1) the surprising proximity to the aerial threat and (2) the USN is using its 5” guns on top of all the other projectiles being flung into the air.

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    681.6 KB · Views: 4

I guess I should have been clearer. A missile, drone or other target has to be somewhat close to be within effective range of CIWS, which gather is not more than 2000 metres, probably less. The RN doesn’t stock any specific anti air ammunition for the Mk8 Mod1, so they also do not train for it.
Paradoxically, the Iranian frigate in the Red Sea has the same gun, and they have AA rounds but likely no radar system to guide the mount properly.

The T45 also has 2x DS30B 30 mm gun mounts which could very well have been quickly and quietly replaced with DS30M, which is a crew served 30mm gun and missile system designed for drone engagements. I don’t know how it is guided or what the means of target acquisition are. These have a slightly longer effective range. Would really like to see these on the CSC but very unlikely.
The Type 45 also has Aster 15 and Aster 30 missiles that can detect and engage the full spectrum of Air threats...

Who knows though, maybe based on missile trajectory, position of the ship relative to the threat, other ships, aircraft, etc in the area... the combat system spewed CIWS as the recommended engagement plan?

I believe they now also have 24 Sea Ceptor, but not sure if they are the ExLS that we have ordered.

The Type 45 also has Aster 15 and Aster 30 missiles that can detect and engage the full spectrum of Air threats...

Who knows though, maybe based on missile trajectory, position of the ship relative to the threat, other ships, aircraft, etc in the area... the combat system spewed CIWS as the recommended engagement plan?
I have to believe that 90 percent of these intercepts are done by missiles and not guns.

I guess I should have been clearer. A missile, drone or other target has to be somewhat close to be within effective range of CIWS, which gather is not more than 2000 metres, probably less.

Hence the name, Close In Weapons System ;)

The goal is 100%. Everything after missiles is a back up.

Having said that, how economical is it to spend a multimillion dollar missile taking down at multi hundred or thousand dollar target ?
you would feel rather sheepish if your missiles didn't take the shot and your ciws failed. If you can guarantee your guns will stop incoming go for it.

My thought was simply that they had run out of missiles. If the Houthis keep throwing rounds in the air the ship's magazines are going to be exhausted meaning the ship needs to go back to port (Musqat?) to reload meaning more ships have to be put on station to keep the conveyor belt loaded.

you would feel rather sheepish if your missiles didn't take the shot and your ciws failed. If you can guarantee your guns will stop incoming go for it.

It's the value of your target's target you should assess. Iron Dome doesn't hit everything, just those rockets that will impact somewhere of consequence.

My point is we have finite amounts of all types of munitions. And perhaps we should be smart about what we expend our best capable munitions on. This is a specific issue the RCN would run into.

My thought was simply that they had run out of missiles. If the Houthis keep throwing rounds in the air the ship's magazines are going to be exhausted meaning the ship needs to go back to port (Musqat?) to reload meaning more ships have to be put on station to keep the conveyor belt loaded.

Bingo.

Possibility, as I said, maybe there is some other reason they opted for guns.

As an aside, The British Main Base for the region is in Duq'm, Oman. They've put quite a bit of money in to the place.

It's meant to provide an alternative to Al Jufair in Bahrain, which is increasingly vulnerable due to the Iranian presence in the Gulf.

Al Jufair is also too shallow to handle the larget British Ships.

Possibility, as I said, maybe there is some other reason they opted for guns.

As an aside, The British Main Base for the region is in Duq'm, Oman. They've put quite a bit of money in to the place.

It's meant to provide an alternative to Al Jufair in Bahrain, which is increasingly vulnerable due to the Iranian presence in the Gulf.

Al Jufair is also too shallow to handle the larget British Ships.

This guy hasn't been 100% accurate in the last so I'm trying to corroborate but I wouldn't be surprised if this is true if only a bit embellished.

This guy hasn't been 100% accurate in the last so I'm trying to corroborate but I wouldn't be surprised if this is true if only a bit embellished.

He’s pretty sensationalist and prone to garbage. But, a lot of other people are saying the same. British government’s been having emergency meetings. I suspect that if it’s not already underway, it will be imminently.

According to the news report I read, Canada is sending staff officers to OPG (i.e. x2)

• Humorous
Reactions: ueo
Back