• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HLTA

Greymatters said:
I thought you had to turn in your blue one to get the green one as part of the DAG - or is that not done anymore?

It wasn't when I went.  I can't see how the military could make you turn in something you paid for anyway.  When I submitted my birth certificate for my passport, they lost that.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
It wasn't when I went.  I can't see how the military could make you turn in something you paid for anyway.  When I submitted my birth certificate for my passport, they lost that.  ::) 

Well, it was the way it was done that way back in the day.  Still, I can see why a person would bring both if not properly instructed in the procedure...

Greymatters said:
Well, it was the way it was done that way back in the day.  Still, I can see why a person would bring both if not properly instructed in the procedure...

When I went to Bosnia, I had a blue passport that the CF paid for.  When I went to A'stan, I had the green one but we were told to only bring that one.  If people don't pay attention, it's something that should be checked on the final DAG.  How hard would it be to ask "Do you have another passport with you?"  If they do, make sure it doesn't come with them.

Considering the "extra" stuff we DAG for now, due to stupidity lack of foresight (MFRC, SISIP, PMQ), I would think preventing the double passport issue would be easy.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Considering the "extra" stuff we DAG for now, due to stupidity lack of foresight (MFRC, SISIP, PMQ), I would think preventing the double passport issue would be easy.  ::) 

Im thinking that persons who travel on deployments in ones and twos, instead of with a deployed unit are, unfortunately, unlikely to get all the information they need or are supposed to get...

That is a possibility, considering some of the joining instructions I've seen are cut and paste from a multitude of sources and years out of date.

Not to mention every unit having their own DAG sheet when they should just use what's on EMAA or PeopleSoft.  It should be uniform across the CF.

stealthylizard said:
Yeah, I was looking at that site, but wasn't sure if there might be an exemption for serving military personnel.  I guess I should get started on it soon.

No exemption.My driver went there and needed a visa.He found out about it close to his travel date from the FOB...and also found out the HLTA crew in KAF didnt do visa's it was the members responsibility.

Blue passports are for regular folks (which includes most of us).  The only thing a green (Special) passport does is state that you are an official of the Government of Canada.  It confers no other special status other than in some places they have special lines in the Immigration Section for "Special Passports."  Note that Special Passports are not Diplomatic Passports (which are red and only issued to those with diplomatic status).  Having a Special Passport has only worked once in my life in my favour when returning to Canada through Vancouver at the same time as three jumbo jets from Hong Kong.  There was a separate line that day for Diplomatic AND Special Passports and I took great delight in using it.  Unfortunately, the guy I was traveling with only had a blue passport, so I had to wait for him anyway.  When I deployed last year I had to go to the Passport Office myself and I specifically asked whether I had to surrender my blue passport and I was specifically told, no.  You are allowed to have both a green and a blue passport at the same time.

Canada Customs didn't harass you more with the green passport? I used mine returning from an ex in the states, and they decided to be even bigger dicks then usual. Maybe it was the fact that we were on a military charter, in uniform, and had our ID's tucked into the passports  ::)

Just want to add that my experience with HLTA was very positive. These people having been doing this for what, 8 years now? They got it down to a science.

I found it easier and a lot cheaper to book my own flights and collect the travel advance. I just kept all my receipts and tickets, and no problems. I found that when I tired to book through the travel office, they were anything but cost effective. Overall, it depends what you want to do and how much time you have to plan.

Also, I required a visa for one of the countries I visited. They arranged a driver to take me directly to the consolate to get my visa. Excellent organization on their part.

Pieman said:
Just want to add that my experience with HLTA was very positive. These people having been doing this for what, 8 years now? They got it down to a science.

I found it easier and a lot cheaper to book my own flights and collect the travel advance. I just kept all my receipts and tickets, and no problems. I found that when I tired to book through the travel office, they were anything but cost effective. Overall, it depends what you want to do and how much time you have to plan.

Also, I required a visa for one of the countries I visited. They arranged a driver to take me directly to the consolate to get my visa. Excellent organization on their part.

Glad they have improved drastically from TF 03-08.We had guys going very high up my chain of command at one point to convince them I couldn't swing by their office in KAF.
Visas were the members problem.
They did not tell us we had options of where we wanted to fly.Suddenly half way through tour we heard of other guys getting pick between 3-5 options on how they wanted to get to their destination.
To add we also had one guy sitting elsewhere with no tickets,no hotel booked.Ended up waiting around for a day for it yo get worked out.
It was a added stress not needed.I'm glad there is a huge change between year 7 of doing it and year 8.Year 7 was horrible.

My experience with Canada Customs when traveling in uniform has always been very positive.  They've never given my declaration form more than a cursory glance and have always smiled and welcomed me home.  Mind you, this was when traveling by air.  There was the one time when my ship returned home and a team of at least ten Customs officers (normally they only send two) and dogs were waiting for us.  They went through the ship from stem to stern, but they were very nice about it.  BTW, they were fully justified in this approach as they did find some significant smuggling and a few charges were laid that day.

Back