• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

New West's turn...

Police watchdog orders review in case of New West officer who sexually harassed colleagues​

An unnamed sergeant in the New Westminster Police Department (NWPD) who sexually harassed lower ranked female employees has had his discipline decision put under review.

In a posted notice, British Columbia Police Complaint Commissioner Clayton Pecknold said there are questions about whether the punishment facing the unidentified man — a reduction in rank — fit the level of his misconduct.

"I have concluded that there is a reasonable basis to believe that the disciplinary or corrective measures proposed do not adequately reflect the seriousness and circumstances of the member's conduct; namely that the member used his rank and position of power within the NWPD to engage in an ongoing pattern of non-consensual behaviour of a sexual nature toward junior and vulnerable employees of the NWPD," wrote Pecknold.

The man is described as holding a supervisory rank and leadership role within the NWPD.

An investigation by the Vancouver Police Department found he made inappropriate sexual advances toward lower ranked female employees that were "very serious," "predatory in nature," and amounted to a "high-range level" of misconduct.

And yet I know some really good people who are wanting to get into law enforcement - who are fit, sharp, genuinely kind hearted, emotionally mature, and have the desire to be a source of good in the community - that can't get hired on for whatever reason...

Then they read things like this, and see a seasoned member of a service preying on younger female officers in a way that's described by ANOTHER police service as "predatory in nature" and all he gets is a rank reduction...

and I honestly don't know what to tell them...

This is what they have now,

There should also be directionally-illuminated signage/arrows on the side of the trailer, ie if the trailer is swing out 22° for a 2-lane closure, then have LEDs/etc. pivoted back 22° so they point directly back towards oncoming traffic and light up the entirety of the span of the second (outboard) closed lane.

This is what they have now,

I wonder how many are in actual service? Outside of major urban areas and their well funded and equipped fire and EMS services, highway response is the responsibility of the local municipality.

There should also be directionally-illuminated signage/arrows on the side of the trailer, ie if the trailer is swing out 22° for a 2-lane closure, then have LEDs/etc. pivoted back 22° so they point directly back towards oncoming traffic and light up the entirety of the span of the second (outboard) closed lane.
I vote for turret gunners. No effin' around.

I wonder how many are in actual service? Outside of major urban areas and their well funded and equipped fire and EMS services, highway response is the responsibility of the local municipality.

From the Original Post, "Then a fourth fire truck also came to the scene."

What's that? A couple dozen firefighters?

Perhaps sending one "Mobile Barrier" to block, instead of four fire trucks, would be more cost effective.

Fire trucks would be more expensive to take out of service and repair, when vehicles crash into them while parked blocking scenes, than a Mobile Barrier - which is designed to take hits.

It would only require a highway maintenance driver, as its only function is Blocking.

Blocking is also often done by highway maintenance trucks

With so many 400-series highways in and out of Toronto ( as you would know, the 401 is 18 lanes ), QEW, spagetti junctions, Allen, Gardiner, DVP etc., the traffic volume would keep it pretty busy.

I go back far enough that we all worked behind a line or cones and/or flares.

Me too. But, as you say, those days are long gone. Fortunately.

I'm not sure the 'who is responsible for what' has ever been formally worked out between the agencies in Ontario.

They can argue about lane blocking. But, not patient care.

I vote for turret gunners. No effin' around.

Used to be a TV commercial / cartoon showing tail-gunners on snow plows. :)

From the Original Post, "Then a fourth fire truck also came to the scene."

What's that? A couple dozen firefighters?

Perhaps sending one "Mobile Barrier" to block, instead of four fire trucks, would be more cost effective.

Fire trucks would be more expensive to take out of service and repair, when vehicles crash into them while parked blocking scenes, than a Mobile Barrier - which is designed to take hits.

It would only require a highway maintenance driver, as its only function is Blocking.
Or block with this?
1706096184718.jpeg
Photo credit: Wiki - Hillelfrei

They can argue about lane blocking. But, not patient care.
That is the context of the discussion. I'm not aware of any legislation that puts the authority for traffic control onto anybody except the police and highway maintenance crews.. The one exception is firefighters can direct traffic if they use one of those 'slow/stop' signs. MTO and their contract companies already have barrier trucks. I don't see the benefit or willingness of municipally-funded fire services buying, storing and maintaining a single use vehicle to perform a task that really isn't theirs to perform.

That is the context of the discussion. I'm not aware of any legislation that puts the authority for traffic control onto anybody except the police and highway maintenance crews.. The one exception is firefighters can direct traffic if they use one of those 'slow/stop' signs. MTO and their contract companies already have barrier trucks. I don't see the benefit or willingness of municipally-funded fire services buying, storing and maintaining a single use vehicle to perform a task that really isn't theirs to perform.
I would think the lane control would be an asset under highway management- who place barricades in consultation with the scene management.

I don’t know anything about that structure in Ontario. But out west there are agencies/companies for that- the police taking care of it until they are activated/ arrive,

Really in any healthy ecosystem it shouldn’t really come up- everyone should be rowing in the same direction. Because believe it or not- all the first responders have the same goal. Even if their are outlier personality issues

I would think the lane control would be an asset under highway management- who place barricades in consultation with the scene management.

I don’t know anything about that structure in Ontario. But out west there are agencies/companies for that- the police taking care of it until they are activated/ arrive,

Really in any healthy ecosystem it shouldn’t really come up- everyone should be rowing in the same direction. Because believe it or not- all the first responders have the same goal. Even if their are outlier personality issues
And it does work out, more or less organically. Everybody generally gets along - nobody is arresting firefighters that I am aware of. No doubt local agreements and protocols exist, but the province is too large and varied for anything more centralized or formal. It goes all the way from the 401 through Toronto with large, professional, multi-service emergency service partners, to the 401 going through a rural township with a volunteer department and their couple of trucks to a northern Ontario highway going through unorganized territory (no municipal government) with no service at all. A lot of the time, especially up north, your best traffic control and scene protection is the transports caught it the backup. They're not going anywhere anyway.

Unclear what the matter at hand is, but it's going to be complex to address when the accused officer is married to the chief.

That's why they move matters to arms-length. The investigation of the complaint was done by the OPP, the adjudicator is an independent retired (OPP) police officer and I believe the prosecutor is in private practice in Ottawa.

Imagine being this clowns rep when all you really want to do is punch him in the face??
Right, but you know that if you do a good job ensuring procedural fairness, then when the shitbird gets drummed out you know it’ll stick and set a proper standard for the larger profession. Everyone deserves due process, but we deserve that process to work when it needs to.

Maybe not "behaving badly" but probably some explaining to do......it was a "Colt C 8 rifle" from what I saw on another news post.

OPP is investigating the theft of a police-issued rifle from a police vehicle on Sunday.
According to the Nottawasaga OPP Detachment, officers have been stationed along the Brentwood Road area in Angus most of Sunday.
OPP is reminding the public to avoid the area as the search continues, and if an individual encounters suspicious activity or observes someone with a firearm, to not approach the individual.

Instead, police say to call 9-1-1 immediately to report any sighting.
Anyone with information is asked to contact OPP or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).

Back