• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

CHP has several arrests like that, another as a hospital of a EMS crew off the top of my head.

The authority exists but isn’t a fruitful exercise. The on scene authority/sme during an accident is fire, so they get to make the calls about placement etc. but the arrest authority comes from outside the fire scene- the remaining lane has an unsafe factor- like the speed of traffic vs the amount of the lane left open- so the cop is making calls on the lane and the captain is making calls for their scene.

Neither CHP officer or the captain of the fire truck should keep their job if between the two of them they can’t problem solve that without video and news stories.

I’ve always trained my folks to be support to fire on fire scenes and find a place to plug in. NCO attaches to the fire commander and let them make rescue calls. Generally speaking I’ve always had a good relationship with them.

edit you can see it in MMs link- CHP has authority to manage the highway and fire and EMS the casualty and scene. Looking at their codes this could be worded much better. In this case they determined the amount of fire response was creating an unsafe highway situation. It supposed to be made in consultation with the other services- but it’s CHPs call.

What can happen is, and it’s in several areas of several provinces- you have a strained relationship between leadership of the two different services- so the services don’t communicate well. Everyone gets their work done without interacting because they have their individual work- then when there is a disagreement at 3am it’s “they can’t tell me what to do”

These should be handled after the fact service to service. And any inflammatory behaviour should be addressed individually.

It’s not…”infrequent”. Usually a personality clash at the top that manifests at calls.

Last edited:
Readers with an interest in highway scene safety may, or may not, find Blocking Techniques for Roadway Incidents worthwhile.

Readers with an interest in highway scene safety may, or may not, find Blocking Techniques for Roadway Incidents worthwhile.

For a while in Alberta on the QEII, which had fatals constantly and large incidents- we actually shut down the section of the highway altogether and push the traffic out to adjacent roadways- it was just too much for distracted drivers going 130 on the highway to close off a section that was safe.

Not high ranking, but what was this officer thinking? Probably something to be dealt with after the fact on the sidelines.

He must be a riot at the annual First Responders picnic.

For a while in Alberta on the QEII, which had fatals constantly and large incidents- we actually shut down the section of the highway altogether and push the traffic out to adjacent roadways- it was just too much for distracted drivers going 130 on the highway to close off a section that was safe.
I go back far enough that we all worked behind a line or cones and/or flares. It was common to hold one lane and still have traffic whizzing by in the remainder, but those days are long gone. Traffic is too dense and too fast and drivers are too dense and too slow. It really became a matter of occupational health and safety. First responders can't be expected to focus on their task at-hand and still maintain traffic awareness. With collision reconstruction, scenes are held much longer now than they used to be. It's almost gotten to the point on the major highways now that even a traffic stop should have a blocker truck.

I'm not sure the 'who is responsible for what' has ever been formally worked out between the agencies in Ontario. There is a bit of an imbalance since a fire crew typically includes a supervisor (Captain at least) while the police will only have an NCO on scene if it is serious, and sometimes not even then. Blocking is also often done by highway maintenance trucks, particularly if the need for fire to be on scene has passed.

Booted, does Alberta have EDRs (emerg detour rtes) like Ontario has in the 400-series? The thought of vehicular morons whizzing past first responders on a main highway even with lane control, sounds dangerous.

In Quebec, nothing takes place on the highways (Autoroutes - the equivalent of the 400 series in ON) without a blocker truck from the dept. of transports.

Some sections do, it’s not the whole way- but there are always, if I recall correctly, adjacent rural roads- so you place cops on those roads controlling everyone’s speed until you can re-merge them on to the highway. It’s slightly slower but faster over all than crushing people into a single lane driving by workers. The perpetual movement of sending them away and remerging makes it smoother and slightly faster.
Booted, does Alberta have EDRs (emerg detour rtes) like Ontario has in the 400-series? The thought of vehicular morons whizzing past first responders on a main highway even with lane control, sounds dangerous.

Some sections do, it’s not the whole way- but there are always, if I recall correctly, adjacent rural roads- so you place cops on those roads controlling everyone’s speed until you can re-merge them on to the highway. It’s slightly slower but faster over all than crushing people into a single lane driving by workers. The perpetual movement of sending them away and remerging makes it smoother and slightly faster.
The 400-series Emergency Detour Routes are signed but usually not patrolled when in use. There simply isn't the staffing to do that. The biggest problem is trying to funnel the traffic volume onto an adjacent usually 2-lane road. The more savvy traveller will use their GPS to find another route. Southern Ontario is similar in the sense of numerous rural roads; northern Ontario not so much.

For the short time I worked traffic, the initial steps of shutting down the QE2 were always the most stressful (for me anyways) and thankfully I only had to do so twice.

Talk about feeling small all of a sudden, like..."Ooooohhhhhh boy, well, here it goes!"

That amount of traffic, where hardly anybody is going the actual speed limit, was daunting as heck the first time I saw how it was done & did my small part to assist.

(For those of you who haven't travelled it, Booter is right - the average speed is about 130km/h. Minus the folks in the far right lane who mostly just set their cruise control, it's a fairly fast moving highway)

For the short time I worked traffic, the initial steps of shutting down the QE2 were always the most stressful (for me anyways) and thankfully I only had to do so twice.

Talk about feeling small all of a sudden, like..."Ooooohhhhhh boy, well, here it goes!"

That amount of traffic, where hardly anybody is going the actual speed limit, was daunting as heck the first time I saw how it was done & did my small part to assist.

(For those of you who haven't travelled it, Booter is right - the average speed is about 130km/h. Minus the folks in the far right lane who mostly just set their cruise control, it's a fairly fast moving highway)
The nice thing about the QE2 is that there is an overpass about 10km, so you can realistically do a shutdown and route traffic onto the parallel rural roads.

Blocking is also often done by highway maintenance trucks, particularly if the need for fire to be on scene has passed.

When our town had six fire departments, unless there was a car fire, they weren't sent. That changed after amalgamation.

I’ve used maintenance trucks, tractors, plows and cranes to deal with all types of emergencies- as blocking or even including in place of an armoured vehicle.

I really appreciate those operators and their expertise. They are also agile when it comes to how they’ll use their equipment when the “police” ask… “you’ll pay and talk to my boss?” With a grin…, always a good story. Good folks.

New West's turn...

Police watchdog orders review in case of New West officer who sexually harassed colleagues​

An unnamed sergeant in the New Westminster Police Department (NWPD) who sexually harassed lower ranked female employees has had his discipline decision put under review.

In a posted notice, British Columbia Police Complaint Commissioner Clayton Pecknold said there are questions about whether the punishment facing the unidentified man — a reduction in rank — fit the level of his misconduct.

"I have concluded that there is a reasonable basis to believe that the disciplinary or corrective measures proposed do not adequately reflect the seriousness and circumstances of the member's conduct; namely that the member used his rank and position of power within the NWPD to engage in an ongoing pattern of non-consensual behaviour of a sexual nature toward junior and vulnerable employees of the NWPD," wrote Pecknold.

The man is described as holding a supervisory rank and leadership role within the NWPD.

An investigation by the Vancouver Police Department found he made inappropriate sexual advances toward lower ranked female employees that were "very serious," "predatory in nature," and amounted to a "high-range level" of misconduct.

I’ve used maintenance trucks, tractors, plows and cranes to deal with all types of emergencies- as blocking or even including in place of an armoured vehicle.

I really appreciate those operators and their expertise. They are also agile when it comes to how they’ll use their equipment when the “police” ask… “you’ll pay and talk to my boss?” With a grin…, always a good story. Good folks.

This is what they have now,

Back