• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

Terrorism financing is actively investigated by the RCMP, and indicators of it are sought and reported on by FINTRAC. Basically the entire financial services industry is mandated by the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act to watch for and to report to FINTRAC suspicious transactions that may fit terrorist financing indicators. There are a combination of regulatory (PCMLTFA) and criminal offences that can be in play.

Note that freezing bank accounts may not always happen immediately. As soon as you freeze an account, you’re tipping your hand that you’re aware of there being sufficient grounds to do so. I.e., you may burn an investigation. Identifying bank accounts and following money flows is often an intermediate step in a criminal investigation. Action to block money flow (freezing accounts, seeking forfeiture etc) may not take place until an investigation is ready to hit its conclusion phase- overt search warrants, takedowns etc.

Simply freezing bank accounts as a standalone and premature act may hinder larger and more meaningful investigative processes.

All that to say: an absence of visible enforcement measures as a point in time does not mean active investigation is not taking place.

When do you stop the hunting and go in for the kill?

When do we switch from pursuing evidence for a conviction to acting on available intelligence?

Seeing a lot of fighting age males preaching hate against Israel from the safety of the West. Time to start booking them 1 way plane tickets back to Gaza so they can back up their words with actions.

When do you stop the hunting and go in for the kill?

When do we switch from pursuing evidence for a conviction to acting on available intelligence?

I’ve never worked terrorism stuff myself obviously, so I can’t say with certainty. But I have done a bit of financial investigation/money laundering work on one project, and a couple things come to mind:

You mention evidence and intelligence in the same breath. They can, but often don’t overlap. Intelligence may not be usable as evidence. A criminal prosecution must be built on sufficient admissible evidence to establish criminal offences. This is a tough nut to crack. The movement of money on its own is only part of the picture, and you generally need quite a bit more to establish intent. I would guess that if we’re talking about terrorism, there may be security intelligence information that sheds further light, but can’t be introduced as criminal evidence.

“Acting on” available intelligence may mean things other than a domestic criminal prosecution. It may be that intelligence agencies would bypass police entirely, and quietly advise banks that certain customers have a pattern of activity consistent with terrorism financing, and those customers might get demarketed. I’m speculating, but I could see that being a threat reduction measure.

In Canada at least, while CSIS can take measures to reduce a threat, they can’t throw someone in jail or get a citizen kicked out of the country. So it may be that it’s necessary to do the more comprehensive legwork needed for a criminal prosecution if you want to get anything really meaningful done at all.

I definitely don’t think there are easy answers.

Seeing a lot of fighting age males preaching hate against Israel from the safety of the West. Time to start booking them 1 way plane tickets back to Gaza so they can back up their words with actions.

The left would cry racism, even if one of those turned out to be a terrorist holding a knife to their throats.

Ok lets play that game.

Who is to say the any of the Jews currently in Israel were ever there originally? Its a religion not a ethnicity. Someones family could have converted in 1700 and still be Jewish.

If Islam came later but it was Jews who converted to Islam that now are in the region is it not still their lands (or ancestral lands?).

Your also assuming that all the people around Israel/Palestine were Jewish originally, which they were not. Zoroastrianism etc. was big in that region. Should the land not go back to the Greeks or Persians?

Your arguments are fairly flawed. At the end of the day we moved a large group of people into the area in the late 40s who proceeded to evict the people actually living in the area based off some questionable land claim from 2000 years ago. Sounds pretty stupid when it gets phrased like that.

Should you be evicted from your home because someone who claims to be part of the tribe that once owned that part of Canada demands it?

Keep going back

The Greeks and the Persians were both newcomers.

You want to try Nebuchadnezzar's Babylonians ca 600 BC?
Philistines 1100 BC
Moses 1300 BC
Abraham and the Canaanites 1700 BC
Then you are into the era of Hammurabi.
Or Sargon of Akkad 2400 BC

This patch of dirt is the home of the original Forever War.

Kind of like chunks of Canada where in the spirit of reconciliation we offer thanks to five different nations....

Cheers, :)

The reason I love history is that it demonstrates the unchanging nature of man everywhere.

From
I’ve never worked terrorism stuff myself obviously, so I can’t say with certainty. But I have done a bit of financial investigation/money laundering work on one project, and a couple things come to mind:

You mention evidence and intelligence in the same breath. They can, but often don’t overlap. Intelligence may not be usable as evidence. A criminal prosecution must be built on sufficient admissible evidence to establish criminal offences. This is a tough nut to crack. The movement of money on its own is only part of the picture, and you generally need quite a bit more to establish intent. I would guess that if we’re talking about terrorism, there may be security intelligence information that sheds further light, but can’t be introduced as criminal evidence.

“Acting on” available intelligence may mean things other than a domestic criminal prosecution. It may be that intelligence agencies would bypass police entirely, and quietly advise banks that certain customers have a pattern of activity consistent with terrorism financing, and those customers might get demarketed. I’m speculating, but I could see that being a threat reduction measure.

In Canada at least, while CSIS can take measures to reduce a threat, they can’t throw someone in jail or get a citizen kicked out of the country. So it may be that it’s necessary to do the more comprehensive legwork needed for a criminal prosecution if you want to get anything really meaningful done at all.

I definitely don’t think there are easy answers.

You mention evidence and intelligence in the same breath.

I did that knowingly and intentionally because within that sentence is the dichotomy between peacetime and wartime.

And I agree. It isn't easy.

Back