• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Grievences, character references...stuff like that...

Elisha

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

Just looking for some information on grievences and military character references, any help would be great?!

Elisha

Grievance Manual - http://www.cfga.forces.gc.ca/pubs/griev_instruments/manual_e.asp

I know about that link but i'm looking for a little bit more information than that...but thank you..

Elisha

Perhaps if you specified what you are looking for that is not covered in the Grievance Manual, then someone may be able to provide assistance.

Hey,

Sorry...I am looking for what to expect once a grievence is submitted, what to do after an answer has been reached, what other ways are their to address the issues put forth in the grievence...what are the probabilities of getting a 'positive' response. 

If anyone needs any more specific details, feel free to private message me.

Elisha

If I understand what you are driving at, a character reference to support ones credibility as a greivor should not ordinarily be necessary. Greivances are supposed to be fact driven, not credibility driven. Once you put your credibility in play, it is then open to question, but if you stick to the facts of the sitaution, there should be no need.

It can be good idea to obtain a letter of reference in order to keep in reserve to refute any attacks on your character, but only in that instance.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

The grievence is based on fact, just wanting to get some more information about timelines...and that kind of stuff.

As for character references, I am just wondering how they are written for the military...I am looking primarily for examples if possible.

Thanks for the response...i'm just sitting right now between a rock and a hard place...and at the bottom of a hill...it can only go up right?!

Elisha

Elisha said:
Thanks for the response...i'm just sitting right now between a rock and a hard place...and at the bottom of a hill...it can only go up right?!
Elisha

Yep. Sometimes the hill can be steep. Good luck.

Grievances are supposed to be treated in a timely manner.
Going by the old book, once your superior has received your grievance, he's supposed to act on it within 48 hours......... but that does not mean that it will be resolved within 48 hours

It's not a perfect system

I believe it is 90 days as to what the response is to be...that is the normal wait time...

Elisha

90 days is what everyone is aiming for BUT..... some grievances take an awful long time (I had one that dragged on for 1 yr)

Oh I have you beat on that one...1 year and counting...like I said before...when your at the bottom you can only go up....right?!

I know grievences do take a long time but...again just looking for a little more info than that...but thanks

Elisha

Note that they do have an obligation to keep you apraised, periodicaly, on the status of your redress...
It is obvious that if it goes up to a ministerial inquiry then you've got your hands on a real bear of a situation...
If they don't feed you info - you still have recourse to the Ombudsman....

another alternative might be to try out "the centre" : www.forces.gc.ca/hr/thecentre/
I have a buddy there that has err..... put into plain language the status of files and kick started procedures that appear to have stalled - for whatever the reason.

Good luck

Chimo!

Thanks for that info...i'll take a look at it...ugh...the process and wait is what makes it stressful.

Elisha

Does anyone have a pre-writin greavence or know where I can get one, I need to fill one out and have never done one. I am not getting much help from my chain of command.

Hey Chop,

I gave you some suggestions as what to go about doing it as well in a private message.  Examples may be go to some extent but as for just filling your information for your particular case or anyones case may be hard as each is a little different from the next. 

I know with the case I am dealing with, it was done in the format of a memorandum and just put in the relivant issue relating. 

Elisha

I have all of the particulars, I just need a basic form in word so that i can just add my information, it could look like this.

PROTECTED B

MEMO

Private whats his face
1 army road
Army ville HOH HOH

0413-6 (Pers)

17 June 2005

Commandant
of army unit
Canada

Redresss

References : A. File (personnel) 17 Mai 2005
B. CFAO 11111 chapter 111111

D. some big book

1. I wish to grieve the lunch hour soup, blah, blah blah,blah, blah blah,blah, blah blah,blah, blah blah

Something like that so that I know how to fill it out. Any help in this mater would be really appreciated.

Note that there is a difference between a complaint and a grievance you want to have redressed.

Make certain that you clearly identify what it is that has been done to you and what it is about that action that is "unfair" and which should be corrected.

If the grievance sounds only like a complaint - you won't get past 1st base.......

Try this (for the right reasons of course)

PROTECTED B (1st line of page)

Memorandum

5230-1 (XXX Pers)   (note XXX = your last 3/the file # is correct)

XX Sep 05

Commandant

REDRESS OF GRIEVANCE FY 2004 ANNUAL PERFORMANCE
EVALUATION REPORT XXX CPL BLOGGINS DATED XX MAY 04 (Bold font) (or Regualr font with the bottom line underlined)

Refs:        a. Memorandum 5225-4 (Unit CO)
              b. CFPAS DAOD
              c. CF Grievance Manual Jun 2000
              d. CFAO 19-32
              e. Memorandum 1180-1 (XXX Pers)
              f.   Commander's Commendation dated XX Mar 04

1.        At this time, I XXX Cpl JD Bloggins, submit a Redress of Grievance pertaining to subj annual PER IAW refs b, c and d.

2.        I am convinced that the above-mentioned evaluation report, in no way, accurately reflects neither my performance nor my potential for the reported period. As outlined at ref a, Unit CO directed that all memos and Letters of Appreciation were to be taken into account during the preparation of all PERs for personnel for FY 04. In contradiction to to ref a, my PER is inaccurate in that:

a.   I have been awarded a Performance Factor 11 (Written Communication) Score
          of "NI' despite  the fact that I recd ref e Memorandum from the Base Comd recognizing
          my outstanding written  communication abilities while employed as the Base Routine
          Order Writer etc etc;

b.   I have been awarded a score of "N" in Potential Factor 6 (Dedication) despite the
          presentation of ref f Commander's Commendation for outstanding dedication to my
          community, trade and the CF as a whole; and

c.   No mention of refs e and f are made in the "new qualification and skills" section of  
          subj PER despite directives at ref a stating that these were to be included.

3.        In closing, I ask that all draft copies and other applicable paperwork used by my supervisor in preparing this PER be retained on file until the conclusion of my redress process.

4.        For your consideration, Sir.
(5 spaces)
JD Bloggins
Cpl
IC POL

PROTECTED B (last line from the bottom of your page)

Good Luck I guess

don't forget to omit the "good luck" message at the bottom (JK)

Certainly should fit the bill

Back