• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Express Rumours

I think that we can agree that any weapons would have to be carried on the wings as electronics and crew would fill the cabin.  Thoes wings would have to be either rebuilt or built new to carry weapons and sensors to support the extra weight  and stress of manouvering at all altitudes.  This would add weight to the airframe which means more powerful engines but it could be done.  It may restrict how many weapons you could use or limit the weight of sensors you could carry.  Lift, Weight, Thrust and Drag all need to be ballanced out for stability in all 3 axis, assuming you want a stable aircraft.  (I learned that in flight school over 26 years ago)

You make it sound like a weekend job, souping up a 57 Chevy in your garage.

What you propose is not even close to as easy as you make it out to be...

I didn't mean to make it sound that easy because it wouldn't be ,  I discussed this with family that work a De Havilland..According to my 2 sources the wing could be strengthend as they did with the global express.  The wing root  and main spar would be much bigger as would be  the flight controls  to deal with the stresses required.  It would require redesigning the fuselage at that point  as well as the tail assembly because the weight and stress of more powerful engines.  I asked if they had been approached by the government about such a project but he didn't know or wouldn't tell me. What he did mention was that Brazil had a patrol version (P-99) and a AEW&C using a Swedish Erie eye radar set (R-99) on an aircraft of a similar class. I got a lot more details that I have mention her like changing the camber of the wing, stronger landing gear etc it was about a 2hr phone call but he seemed to think it was very possable with either the RJ or Q series aircraft.

Here's an heretical proposal at a Torch post:

A civilian maritime patrol aircraft fleet?
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2007/11/civilian-maritime-patrol-aircraft-fleet.html

Mark
Ottawa

And then you can do what the Danes and Norwegians do and put what are essentially civilian assets operated by the Coast Watch under the Department of National Defence.  In peace time they operate under Union Rules.  In war they operate under Navy Rules.

thunderchild said:
Lift, Weight, Thrust and Drag all need to be ballanced out for stability in all 3 axis, assuming you want a stable aircraft.  (I learned that in flight school over 26 years ago)

Actually, CoG and Centers of Lift are more important in the stability of an aircraft...  That's from my 12 years of flying and 4 years mechanical engineering degree. 

Yes you are right the CofG is key and it is one of the things we discussed, a fuel management system could keep the CofG within limits by moving fuel automatically or manually between tanks in the fuselage.  We also discussed having to add a fuselage plug forward of the wing to compensate for the added weight aft.

thunderchild said:
...We also discussed having to add a fuselage plug forward of the wing to compensate for the added weight aft.

...or a fuselage plug aft of the wing to compensate for hungry pilots.  ;D

Back