• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Express Rumours

fireman1867

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello All,

In the past two weeks I have heard a number of rumours surrounding the purchase of Globals to replace the Aurora's. Has anyone heard anything?

Pure speculation....I guest the Global Express could be used in a ground surveillance role like the ASTOR or the failed US ACS  program.  The airplane has be "militarized" for the Brits but I think the important part would be senors and mission equipment.  I would hope they have a open bidding for a program like this.  Do we care if the aircraft is a Global Express or G5 so that Bombardier can a sell few airframes. 

How would the Global Express be used in anti-sub role?  No Bomb bay?  MAD? The cost to develop this platform would be huge and for a very small run of aircraft for Canada.  Would it not be better, cheaper to sign up for the P-8 program? 

thunderchild said:
I read CASR proposal of a hypothetical RJ MPA but I dont thenk its real.

STOP.............in the name of everything that is good and pure in this world.........STOP

thunderchild said:
I read CASR proposal of a hypothetical RJ MPA but I dont thenk its real.

Just because i can.....

Pictures i took at the RNLAF open day in Leeuwarden last June. I'm going to let you determine what the aircraft is, what is pictured and what it does. Chew on that for a bit and then tell me if an MPA version of an RJ is a stretch.

Well, seeing as how nobody else has jumped on this -

One of three Bombardier Challenger 604s sold to the Royal Danish Air Force as Multi-Mission Aircraft.  Quick Change Kits for VIP, Medevac and Maritime Patrol in support of Fisheries and Economic Exclusion Zones.  Apparently it uses the same radar being considered for the Aurora upgrade?  Is that correct Aviator?

Kirkhill said:

One of three Bombardier Challenger 604s sold to the Royal Danish Air Force as Multi-Mission Aircraft.  Quick Change Kits for VIP, Medevac and Maritime Patrol in support of Fisheries and Economic Exclusion Zones.  Apparently it uses the same radar being considered for the Aurora upgrade?   Is that correct Aviator?

OK.  Let's get realistic here.  How large a Patrol Area does the Danish Air Force have?  Is it realistic to even think that their requirements would match ours?  Would that also not include A/C types?

Kirkhill said:

I was really hoping that "thunderchild" would chime in.......but thanks though.

George Wallace said:
How large a Patrol Area does the Danish Air Force have? 

That is neither here nor there. I simply posted these because thunderchild brought up a maritime patrol version of the RJ with skepticism. If it can be done to a Challenger, it can be done to an RJ or Global Express.......It is just a matter of deciding what missions you want to do with it. The Danes have a huge area to cover as well since they not only patrol home waters but Greenland as well. It is important to note that the Danish AF also has P-3Cs.

CDN Aviator, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Auroras missions are generally flown at low altitude right?

SupersonicMax said:
CDN Aviator, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Auroras missions are generally flown at low altitude right?

The CP-140 has many missions, with varying flight profiles.

I know that, but a typical fishery patrol or ASW is conducted at low altitude?

If it's the case, I really can't see how could any jet be efficient in these conditions (low density altitude).  The lower you are, the more you burn, the slower you are, reducing your range and loiter time.  I personally think a turboprop is ideal for that kind of operations.

SupersonicMax said:
I know that, but a typical fishery patrol or ASW is conducted at low altitude?

ASW is generaly conducted below 1000 feet after a medium or high altitude transit.........generaly speaking. Routine patrols of the AOR are handled differently.

The lower you are, the more you burn, the slower you are, reducing your range and loiter time. 

Quite right.

That being said, you are assuming that a patrol mission is continuous, with one takeoff and one landing. The Danes do it differently. The aircraft takes off, covers and area, lands at a second location, refuels, takes off, covers another area........etc,etc,etc until the day's mission is completed.

I see the different way of operating.  However, why not choose a more efficient airplane rather than something that burns more and costs more in fuel?

SupersonicMax said:
why not choose a more efficient airplane rather than something that burns more and costs more in fuel?

Well, in the Danish AF case, the aircraft has more than the MPA mission to carry out thus the compromise in aircraft type.

ringo_mountbatten said:
Just for the record the Danes do not have any P-3s. 

Correct, i was thinking of Norway.

Yes, I understand why the Danes may have choosen something like that, but do we have any ambition of doing the same (multi-role for the aircraft) or are we going to use them solely for MPA missions? 

Any aircraft could do MPA, provided we strap the right gear on!

SupersonicMax said:
Any aircraft could do MPA, provided we strap the right gear on!

The problem is what do we want MPA to mean for the CF ?

CDN Aviator said:
The problem is what do we want MPA to mean for the CF ?

Doesn't that also apply to the Search and Rescue mission?  It seems that many platforms can supply "eyes on", ie conduct reconnaissance.  The question becomes what do you want to do once you have found a "target" and how quickly do you need to react?  And with what?

Do all of our patrol aircraft need to be helicopters so that they can all conduct extractions?  Do all of our patrol aircraft need to be armed so that they can all conduct interdictions?

I think that we can agree that any weapons would have to be carried on the wings as electronics and crew would fill the cabin.  Thoes wings would have to be either rebuilt or built new to carry weapons and sensors to support the extra weight  and stress of manouvering at all altitudes.  This would add weight to the airframe which means more powerful engines but it could be done.  It may restrict how many weapons you could use or limit the weight of sensors you could carry.  Lift, Weight, Thrust and Drag all need to be ballanced out for stability in all 3 axis, assuming you want a stable aircraft.  (I learned that in flight school over 26 years ago)

Back