• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GBAD - The return of 'FOBS'

I don’t know how many recruits you netting with the call to defend the Winnipeg Airport. Contrary to your assertion, the time we actually did have a surplus in recruits was when we were engaged in combat operations in recruiting - young people want adventure not to be used as security guards. Now for my next point.
Tangentially, haven't seen much being made of Latvia in recruiting material. "Hey 20-somethings, want to do Army Stuff™, GTFO of Nanaimo, and get to go to Europe while you're doing it? If yes, then (trades) are for you!"

As far as BDF but for civil sites... it's probably something that should be sandtabled in cooperation with everyone else likely to be involved once in a while, along with aid to the civil power, disaster response, etc. Not sure that, given ~40 training nights and ~10 weekends, that it's the highest training priority, and doesn't seem like a particularly compelling role to highlight for recruiting or retention.

Can't see, absent a real threat, airports being keen on air defence sites all over the place, especially if those sites are being used for training.

Last edited:
Except in this case the threat was from terrorist attacks, which various regiments were tasked to deter. Heathrow's been through similar incidents since the 70s.

We don't have a domestic threat to airports like that, and likely never will.

Woah woah woah - are you suggesting that 1970-1990sUK had a different security reality than 2020s Canada ?

Give me some indication that Canada is preparing for any security threats.

Note that the Government's priorities have not changed since 1945

Canada
North America
The North Atlantic
The World.

The Air Force got the memo a while ago.

If one gun can be acquired for dual purposes then what happens if.....

The RRCA equips all militia regiments with 6 gun 155mm Air Defence Batteries (Archer type self loaders on wheels). The same batteries can also supply General Support.

Similar rationale for infantry and cavalry to acquire 30/35mm cannons for local air defence - but the calibre is sufficiently well developed with a large variety of fuses and warheads to supply counters to personnel and vehicles of all sorts.

Beating the National Defence drum again - trying to sell the need for good equipment to Canadians that perceive no threat.

I believe that the UAS threat is not only real but can be demonstrated to the lads at the lake as real.

Disruptions to air travel are a civilian concern.
I'm reading the article on the hyper-velocity rounds being tested for the 155mm cannon very differently than you.
The service is pursuing such a capability as a potential munition for eliminating cheaper targets, rather than using high-end missiles for the same mission, Rasch told Defense News at the Space and Missile Defense Symposium.

Hypervelocity projectiles are “an order of magnitude cheaper than its equivalent missile,” Rasch said, “but can go really fast to close on the target.”
You seem to be making the assumption from your characterization of an Archer-type system potentially being a "155mm Air Defence Battery" that these hyper-velocity cannon rounds are intended for shooting down incoming missiles/drones/aircraft, etc.

I don't read it that way at all. To me they are simply testing a long range, very fast, indirect fire cannon round that can hit distant targets on the ground much cheaper and faster than a missile. The guidance systems they are talking about are to allow precision strike - possibly even against moving ground targets - not for taking out aerial targets.

Give me some indication that Canada is preparing for any security threats.

Note that the Government's priorities have not changed since 1945

Canada
North America
The North Atlantic
The World.

The Air Force got the memo a while ago.
The Royal Canadian Air Force? At the direction of the Canadian government, elected by the people of Canada would seem to me to be an indication of Canada’s policy. That’s why we participate in NORAD.

Now if you excuse me me and the other barooom layabouts have to get ready to swan around Latvia.

Back