• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gaining British Citizenship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ropetech, you state that you wouldn't have to revoke your Canadian citizenship. Is that based on fact, or hope?

As well, does anyone know anything for certain reference the sponsor? I think that would be the biggest stumbling block for someone that doesn't any relatives (or friends) in the UK.

Al

Thats for certain. However they are unwaivering on the requirement of a sponser. Which is different than a year ago. But it is a requirement now. One of the first questions I asked was regarding the citizenship. Thats based on fact Alan. Anyways Shortbus- my first letter back from the RM took about 10 days...the information isnmt really ahrd to come by. Good luck. Im sorry you dont find the CF challenging enough.......Im assuming you have both your jump wings and your assaulters course then as well as your bosnia baseball trophies..... ;D

Just a quick comment not pointed at Shortbus.

As for the the RM and FFL I think the allure is this. The ability to bypass the "regular" military bullshuit and go straight to "space ninja" status. You dont have to earn it. Like with Delta, SAS, Seals, and JTF2 where you have to prove yourself before you get to try on the Jersey(and obtain a CO recommendation). thats why the boards are flooded with questions about the FFL and RM's because you just apply and take your crack at it. Ill admit it. Thats why I've looked at both. I could skip pat platoon, kitchen duty and all the least desirable stuff and be "special forces". But I think it boils down to this for me. If I cant be trusted to do my best at the little things than why should I be trusted with the big? Food for thought......Im pretty sure most of the guys on JTF werent talking about "going JTF" before even joining the military. All the RMs Ive met are quiet guys. My cousin whos on Marine RECON never talks about it. So if your out there yelling it odds are its not for you. Airborne too. My airbourne buddies are proud of the unit. but you'd be hard pressed to find one that talks about how "elite" they are.

Men do it and dont have to talk about it

IM DONE ;D

Australia has a direct entry to the SAS and SF units now. From civvy to SAS. This is very frowned upon by serving soldiers, and its all new this year.

Here one needs to be a resident too, and getting that status is a real hard climb, but once you have it, the world is at your feet.

My advice to the FFL, is stay away from it. I know too mant exCF guys who have tried it. All came back thin, and looking malnurished. All left fit and motivated, and AWOL'd their way out, and currently still 'wanted', and thats going back 15yrs or so.

Anyways, thats just my view, but joining a foreign army who thrives on hardcore abuse of its troops to get their loyality is just insane, and, well thats not how its done.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Cheers,

Wes

Wake up call. Earth to sHoRtbUs - the British Army does pretty much the same thing the Canadian Army does - peacekeeping. You are romanticizing the Royal Marines. It's not like they are overseas fighting multiple wars, for the most part they are doing peacekeeping missions - patrols and the like. It is no more intense or enjoyable than the CF. It is the same.

If you think all our soldiers do is play baseball in Bosnia, you are seriously misinformed. Thousands have shed their blood for this great country, hundreds of thousands more now have to bear the trauma of seeing combat in the name of freedom.

I don't know what Britain has done for you that you feel so compelled to want to sign on the dotted line and accept that you may have to give all to protect their land.

But if your idea of fun is having bullets and RPGs whiz by your head (I think you may reconsider your definition of fun once the bullets start flying) and you think you have a better chance of seeing combat in the RM, then good luck to you.

Military Brat said:
Wake up call. Earth to sHoRtbUs - the British Army does pretty much the same thing the Canadian Army does - peacekeeping. You are romanticizing the Royal Marines. It's not like they are overseas fighting multiple wars, for the most part they are doing peacekeeping missions - patrols and the like. It is no more intense or enjoyable than the CF. It is the same.

If you think all our soldiers do is play baseball in Bosnia, you are seriously misinformed. Thousands have shed their blood for this great country, hundreds of thousands more now have to bear the trauma of seeing combat in the name of freedom.

I don't know what Britain has done for you that you feel so compelled to want to sign on the dotted line and accept that you may have to give all to protect their land.

But if your idea of fun is having bullets and RPGs whiz by your head (I think you may reconsider your definition of fun once the bullets start flying) and you think you have a better chance of seeing combat in the RM, then good luck to you.

You are talking out of your ass. The royal marines are elite and they are fighting all over the place. They are tasked by governments in south America to fight smugglers and coke plantations......they are FIghting in Iraq. They are in Africa. And the FFL is in those places as well.  I had a buddy who died over in Iraq who was a green beret and he had seen some wild stuff.

In the Royal Marines you WILL see combat. I have another buddy who is a former green jacket and he saw more combat in the central africa than I ever care to see. Make no mistake they are elite.

But I really think that we tend to downplay the danger of peace keeping as well. Its not baseball and smiles. You can ask the men whpo had to pull dead babies off spikes while being fired at. Peacekeeping can kill you too.

Military brat, yes you're right to a degree. but sit back and look at britains envolvment in global conflict, U.N. Missions..etc. As of now, the British Forces are operating in over 80 countries around the world. The opprotunity to serve abroad are far more plentiful than here in the CF. And do refrain from putting words in my mouth, I never said it was fun to be shot at. Im not some punk looking to go to war and shoot everyone up and ear medals. I want to do my part. As Wes said, Canada is where my roots are, but that doesnt mean I cant serve with the British Forces. Im not abandoning my country, and until you're in the military, you wont realise how much of a difference the CF has in relation to other countries forces, and particular units, which includes Britain. Im aware of what was done for my country, but im focusing more on what I can do now.

The RM are not "elite". They are a standard fighting force. It isn't special forces, it is basically an army using amphibious means to get into battle - like the USMC  in the USA pretty much. Iraq is really the only place the Brits are that is a "hotspot". Sure, there might be skirmishes in South America, but for the most part it's calm.

I don't think you should join any military seeking only to see combat though. If you are then you are joining for the wrong reasons. The army isn't about killing people and putting metal to target - it is about making a difference in the world. Full out combat is only the last resort and I doubt very many modern day soldiers have seen it. It is only the battles and casualties you see in the news often times, very seldomly do you see the humanitarian work done by militaries worldwide.

Canada has been on many UN missions as well. Most of them infact.

P.S. How do you know how the CF compares to other militaries?

We have one of the best trained fighting forces in the world.

Military Brat,
Please look up Mr. Bobbit's post in the admin section about "qualifing information".   I'm not even going to get into your last load of kife but many are-a-sick of it.
Bomb em...., combat as a last resort..not elite....the best....etc.
My troll-a meter is starting to go off......

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Military Brat,
Please look up Mr. Bobbit's post in the admin section about "qualifing information".   I'm not even going to get into your last load of kife but many are-a-sick of it.
Bomb em...., combat as a last resort..not elite....the best....etc.
My troll-a meter is starting to go off......

Sorry I have an opinion.

Your problem, not mine. Seek councilling.

Military Brat have you in your vast military experience ever worked with the Royal Marines or any other military?

Ex-Dragoon,

Nope, but I never claimed to.

Anymore brainbusters?

Yeah the RM arent elite ::) They are the original Commando unit. Your talking out of your *** AGAIN. As is usual on these boards. First off its a 2 phase 32 week course. Maybe you should look up the term commando-

"A small fighting force specially trained for making quick destructive raids against enemy-held areas.
A member of such a force.

An organized force of Boer troops in South Africa.
A raid made by such a force."

I dont want to get in a pissing contest but you're truly retarded. I have the utmost respect for the Canadian military, if I wanted to leave I would have. Doors open. I know a tonne of people over there. but I love where I am. You're disrespecting a friends   memory now. No part of the south american jungles are calm. Also you forgot the brits are also in Afgan which is still dangerous. Read up on the SAS and you'll see how they are the green jackets see each others as equals. Course your the authority right? You arent even in the military yet and your talking about combat. Nobodyis attempting to take away from the CF. Shortbus made one dumb comment and he retracted it. Theres crap going on all over the planet you don't know about. The USMC is not like the RM. Besides the obvious of course. ALSO the USMC are the tip of the spear. First in. They should be spoken of with respect. The same respect that we should afford to our own soldiers.

Military Brat said:
The RM are not "elite". They are a standard fighting force. It isn't special forces, it is basically an army using amphibious means to get into battle - like the USMC   in the USA pretty much.

Well that to me seems to indicate you have personal knowledge on how they train and what they do. If it was an opinion please state it such. Otherwise you are just indicating about how little you know of the subject...again.

Further more Id like to know what makes a unit elite forces according to Military Brat? What were the Airbourne? If they werent elite what were they? If they were than by God so are the RM's.

Military Brat said:
The RM are not "elite". They are a standard fighting force. It isn't special forces, it is basically an army using amphibious means to get into battle - like the USMC   in the USA pretty much.

I like this as well. It shows your complete lack of knowledge regarding the USMC as well as the RM's. Thats why there are 200 MOS's. And all of them ride in a higgins together. So when Canadians do any Amphibious assaults we're considered Marines right?

goto www.specialoperations.com and read about the special boat squadrons

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk_politics/1687064.stm heres an article where the Americans praise "British Special Forces" and lo and behold- its a Royal Marine in the picture......

Besides what I say above about that article......I am describing the RM's as Elite. ELITE. You cant dispute that.

RopeTech said:
goto www.specialoperations.com and read about the special boat squadrons

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/uk_politics/1687064.stm heres an article where the Americans praise "British Special Forces" and lo and behold- its a Royal Marine in the picture......

Besides what I say above about that article......I am describing the RM's as Elite. ELITE. You cant dispute that.

Yes I can dispute that, I already have. They are not elite, they are ordinary soldiers. Now wake up from your wet dream. My definition of elite soldiers are squads like JTF-2, SAS, etc.

P.S. I dont think CAR was elite.

I am curious militarybrat, but do you know how the CAR trained, what their tasks were, etc...   Have you ever hard of the 1st Special Service Force?   They are one of the units that the Canadian Airborne Regiment claims as its predecessors - they are also the unit that the JTF-2 officially claims to be similar too, from their website.

Historically, paratroopers were responsible for jumping behind enemy lines, and fighting in small, disorganized bands to take objectives.   In my opinion, that makes them better than average soldiers.   According to commando.org, the CAR even was formed from a Cdn SAS coy, which dispanded in the late 1940s.

With this info, your last comment seems very tacked on, and degrading to those who may have served in the unit, your opinion or not.

No worries I am sure the former members of the CAR and present day jump companies will point out how wrong Military Brat is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back