• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G-Wagon Gets Tested

Y

Yllw_Ninja

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/03/05/371007-cp.html

Canadian soldiers test new jeeps

By LES PERREAUX

A Mercedes G Wagon sits on the tarmac at the Kabul airport on Friday. (CP/Les Perreaux)
KABUL (CP) - A company of Canadian soldiers backed up by new armoured jeeps swept through southwestern Kabul on Saturday night in a major "surge patrol" designed to keep down crime in the neighbourhood.

The seven-hour mission by dozens of Canadian soldiers was among the largest operations by Canadian forces since they arrived in Afghanistan in August.

The mission was also the first for the G-Wagon, the beefy four-wheel drive vehicle that is replacing the much-criticized Iltis jeep.

While Saturday‘s sweep was completed without incident or arrest, the mission was a good proving ground for the G Wagon as it negotiated Kabul‘s rutted and sewage-filled streets.

The strengths and weaknesses of both the new and old vehicle were quickly apparent to a small group of soldiers from Bravo Company of the 3rd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment as they launched their part of the mission.

The plan for the patrol was to have about a half-dozen soldiers on foot trailed by a pair of G Wagons for a rapid evacuation in case of trouble. However the G Wagons could not fit down a narrow street where the patrol was to start.

Two of the smaller Iltis jeeps were sent down the same street. However they soon ran into a ditch that cut off the route and the rest of the patrol was done on foot without a vehicle nearby. One Iltis became temporarily stuck in a hole. Its engine had to be revved up to a screaming pitch to move again.

"We had to have a change of plan," said Lieut. Dave Roussell, who then led his section on a quiet seven-kilometre walk.

"Each vehicle has its strengths and weaknesses," he said.

Maj. Claude Langlois, commander of Bravo Company, said he conceived the "surge patrol" after hearing from local residents and the Kabul City Police that Saturday night is a bad time for crime in his area of operation.

While the operation was completed without incident, a couple of Roussell‘s troops caused a stir when they accidentally walked into the courtyard of a house, startling a woman inside.

Soon a dozen men from the household came out to confront the troops. After an explanation and a few handshakes, the men seemed to realize the soldiers had taken a wrong turn.

A few hours later, the troops assembled at an intersection to be picked up by the G Wagons and a handful of Iltis jeeps. One rattling Iltis struggled to make it up a short incline, its driver racing the engine to move it uphill.

"Listen to that. You can hear it coming from a mile away," said Sgt. Emile Deschamps, one of Roussell‘s men. "The Iltis has done its time."

After Roussell and Deschamps returned to camp early Sunday morning, Langlois described how the new vehicle will change the way his company patrols Kabul.

He said he expects more foot patrols now, with the G Wagons following nearby in case of trouble.

"We‘re going to use it as a kind of a bunker - a mobile bunker," Langlois said.

"It (the G Wagon) offers a lot of protection and gives us added confidence," he said. "The old vehicle gave us a lot of worry because we were so exposed. The new vehicle will almost allow us to take the first hit, because we are so well protected, and then react."

The first 18 Mercedes G Wagons arrived in Kabul on Friday. Another 42 of the jeeps will arrive in Afghanistan over the next week. A total of 802 G Wagons with various types of equipment and armour are being delivered to Canadian troops over the next year.

"We‘re going to use it as a kind of a bunker - a mobile bunker," Langlois said.

"It (the G Wagon) offers a lot of protection and gives us added confidence," he said. "The old vehicle gave us a lot of worry because we were so exposed. The new vehicle will almost allow us to take the first hit, because we are so well protected, and then react."
???

Michael,
I agree. I‘m not sure where he‘s coming from with the comment. Unless they have the armoured ones that will give them SOME protection against small arms fire. Maybe that‘s it.

Yes, they are getting a number of armour kits for the G-wagon in Kabul.

Judging from the article it seems that most of the actual recce work is going to be done on foot.

In that case aren‘t the dismounted troops going to be the most likely target of the "first hit"?

Maybe the G-wagen will make a good expedient ambulance.

A better utility/staff vehicle than a recce vehicle?

Will the add-on armor protect from 7,62 mm rounds? Because if not, it won‘t provide any advantages over the Iltis.

they sound like a good vehicle but I dunno I agree with Kirkhill in regards to the "first hit" if more of the troops are on foot.

They are refering to the "first hit" when they are sitting in the vehicle, compared to the soft top iltis. Just like advance to contact, before you advance, you need to locate the enemy and then win the fire fight. The add on armour will give them some extra protection from people taking shot‘s at them from an unknown location.

FUBAR

I believe I saw one of the articles mention that the armour kit is NATO level 1 which I think is 7.62mm ball.

Kilty

I think the problem might be in phases 4 and 5, locating the enemy and winning the firefight while enclosed in a vehicle facing forward. No opportunity to return fire unless and until you dismount. Together with the larger dimensions of the vehicle that will require the patrol commander to dismount more frequently, slow down the rate ground is covered and reduce the amount of area dominated through patrolling.

Seen from the sidelines anyway.

Kirkhill

Perhaps it‘s not best to speculate or confirm what level armour is on the Wagons on an open net. Yeah the press has made thier speculation, but as was proved on another thread, the press is more often wrong than right. Remember OPSEC, we still have guys on the firing line.

Kirk,

Sidelines is right. Rather than waiting for someone to be hit from effective fire, now they we will have the advantage of armour. The armour will potentially stop or slow down the first round, buying the patrol commander more time to give his orders (speed off or dismount or what ever). And yes, as a last case senerio, rounds can be fired the G-wagon. If the rifle is large to return fire, the machine gunners or at the least the patrol cmdr should have a side arm that can be fired from the windows.

I‘d just like to add about the G wagon that I haven‘t rode in a Canadian one however i have been in a German one when i was in germany and i will say they are an improvment to the iltis by far! the only thing is because they are mercedes i can see them beeign a little pricy on parts too but thats not my problem from a preformance point of view i liked the german one its a mercedes i eman what more can u want lol

The windows of the G-Wagon are incredibly well built, very thick and protective, from an article that was on here earlier.

One of the guys who was commenting said it would take about 7 rounds in roughly the same spot, just to finally go through? Prett good...

....I just don‘t wanna get dead if I‘m ever sitting one when the **** hits the fan...lol

OK,
anyone who wants to ge shot at while in a frigging truck raise your hand....

ok, now you stupid people who raised your hand, pls leave the room!

ITS A TRUCK for gods sake, armoured or not.
Its NOT a Bison, LAV, Coyote, or tank. You DO NOT do advance to contact with it, and you Definately DO NOT use it in an offensive role. And it is NOT a mirace veh that would save everyones lives if it all goes bad. It is just another tool which gives the commanders a option in how to work.

Having said that..
In Bosnia, the Dutch have used the G wagen fr a couple yrs. As a vehicle they like it, didn‘t se any up armoured versions, but did see the Ambulance version (of course) and found the box well layed out inside, but a bit too large for the body/wheel frame and not good for Xcountry work.

Back