• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

No, but if you could prove in court that they were being funded by certain people, organizations, or business, could they not also be liable?
I'm not sure. My first reaction would be 'no' if those others weren't included in the action and judgement. If I win a judgement against Bob the Plumber, I don't get to go after his customers to fund the judgment.

Winning and collecting are two separate processes. My one and only experience in this area was small claims court years ago and I recall I had to win the judgement then go back and get another order to have judgement enforced.

I'm not sure. My first reaction would be 'no' if those others weren't included in the action and judgement. If I win a judgement against Bob the Plumber, I don't get to go after his customers to fund the judgment.

Winning and collecting are two separate processes. My one and only experience in this area was small claims court years ago and I recall I had to win the judgement then go back and get another order to have judgement enforced.
Right, but if you can prove that “acme foundation” or “smith industries” funded protestors with the full knowledge that they were going to blockade and otherwise cause harm to a competitor or to an entire industry (oil & gas, forestry leap to mind), could they not be found liable in civil court for the damages “their” protestors caused (I acknowledge the counter-argument, unless you find a clear smoking gun directing protestors to act in a certain way, their criminal actions are their own).

Unions acting against their own employers in a legal labour action I don’t think any court would touch- unless someone could prove that the union itself ordered its members to throw bricks through windows.

I am not a lawyer and am just spitballing, here.

Not sure if it's still there, but there was over $6M of donated funds put in escrow after a lot got returned.

The $300M figure is ludicrous, but if that money is still there and their suit is successful expect they would claim against that. I suspect lawyer fees would eat up a huge chunk of it.

Most funds raised for 'Freedom Convoy' protest were returned or confiscated

Unions acting against their own employers in a legal labour action I don’t think any court would touch- unless someone could prove that the union itself ordered its members to throw bricks through windows.

I am not a lawyer and am just spitballing, here.
There would never be a union that was created by the employer, where the workers paid fees to the union that went back to the company and the union heads were actually employed by the company to control the workers. (Actual case my sister adjudicated)

I think it was exactly the free ride that particular protest had for three weeks or so that has led to this civil case.
They were very clear of their intentions to stay until the met with the PM. They were in constant talsk with the Ottawa Police and were going to move to the park, but city council interfered and caused more problems then they solved.

Well where do we start.
the BC pipeline protests, acts of actual terrorism.
Blm protests.
Fairy creek and other logging protests in Bc. Been going on for decades.
The numerous protests in Montreal, Quebec.
Current hamas Israeli protests currently going on.
Vancouver protests/ riots. Hockey, G8 etc.
Many many more.
Or collect. Not a lot of money in being a professional social activist. The 'win' might be a document you can frame at Staples and mount on the wall.
I would beg to differ, those travelling around the world protesting are getting paid pretty well. Look up paid activists. See where they are comming from its a bit surprising to many.
The northern gatway pipe line protest had a few interesting members who were paid very well for their activism.

unless your supported by the government, they can help your case along.
Not sure if it's still there, but there was over $6M of donated funds put in escrow after a lot got returned.

The $300M figure is ludicrous, but if that money is still there and their suit is successful expect they would claim against that. I suspect lawyer fees would eat up a huge chunk of it.

Most funds raised for 'Freedom Convoy' protest were returned or confiscated
It will be interesting, that money was to pay for food, fuel and lodging of the protesters.
I can see the government being sued about the money being held.
They said it was proceeds of crime. Especially since the Supreme Court ruled that the emergency act was unconstitutional. I can see some movement on demanding the money be returned to the donors.

Well where do we start.
the BC pipeline protests, acts of actual terrorism.
Blm protests.
Fairy creek and other logging protests in Bc. Been going on for decades.
The numerous protests in Montreal, Quebec.
Current hamas Israeli protests currently going on.
Vancouver protests/ riots. Hockey, G8 etc.
Many many more.

I didn’t say “name any protest”, I’m talking about some hypothetical case where a crowd took over a downtown core for three weeks (or even three days) and were given a freebie. There is no such thing though.

Many of what you’ve referred to have had various criminal investigations and prosecutions; some but not all successful. Some were utterly normal, peaceful, lawful protests. For instance I was at the BLM one; to compare it to convoy is utterly farcical.

Last edited:
It will be interesting, that money was to pay for food, fuel and lodging of the protesters.
I can see the government being sued about the money being held.
They said it was proceeds of crime. Especially since the Supreme Court ruled that the emergency act was unconstitutional. I can see some movement on demanding the money be returned to the donors.
Even if released expect the lawsuit requesting the money be held in escrow for the potential civil liabilities (especially if they took it on the terms where they would get paid out if there is a settlement, which I can't remember the specific term for).

Even if the EA was unconstitutional, the protest itself was still illegal, so doesn't exempt them from civil liabilities anyway. Given that businesses were shut down for a while and a state of emergency was declared, pretty easy for them to demonstrate loss revenues.

At the end of the day though expect the only people that will really win will be lawyers that collect the fees.

I didn’t say “name any protest”, I’m talking about some hypothetical case where a crowd took over a downtown core for three weeks (or even three days) and were given a freebie. There is no such thing though.

Many of what you’ve referred to have had various criminal investigations and prosecutions; some but not all successful. Some were utterly normal, peaceful, lawful protests. For instance I was at the BLM one; to compare it to convoy is utterly farcical.
I'm repeating myself, I think, but on the day of the big BLM march, during the COVID lockdown, I made my way, comme d'habitude, to the National War Memorial. I noticed two well dressed young black men, wearing some sort of vest for armband (can't quite remember) and after I had aped my respects and stepped back one said to me, something like: "This is quite an inspirational place ... makes you think a lot." We chatted for a bit, I explained a bit to him about the dedication of the monument in 1939 and the importance of King George VIs' visit to Canada, to "ginger us up" for the war which even Chamberlain knew was certain and to Washington to remind the Americans of "ties that bind" and all that.

Anyway I asked him if he was a parade marshal and he said yes and he and his friend were there to make sure than marchers who approached the Memorial did so in an appropriately respectful manner. He explained that they couldn't;'t control who joined the march but they should ensure that whoever was there obeyed the rules.

Quite a change from the "truckers" and other less than welcome visits (Mr Topp) to what should be a place for quiet contemplation.

I think the trucker convoy is comparable to the 1919 Winnipeg general strike.

I'm repeating myself, I think, but on the day of the big BLM march, during the COVID lockdown, I made my way, comme d'habitude, to the National War Memorial. I noticed two well dressed young black men, wearing some sort of vest for armband (can't quite remember) and after I had aped my respects and stepped back one said to me, something like: "This is quite an inspirational place ... makes you think a lot." We chatted for a bit, I explained a bit to him about the dedication of the monument in 1939 and the importance of King George VIs' visit to Canada, to "ginger us up" for the war which even Chamberlain knew was certain and to Washington to remind the Americans of "ties that bind" and all that.

Anyway I asked him if he was a parade marshal and he said yes and he and his friend were there to make sure than marchers who approached the Memorial did so in an appropriately respectful manner. He explained that they couldn't;'t control who joined the march but they should ensure that whoever was there obeyed the rules.

Quite a change from the "truckers" and other less than welcome visits (Mr Topp) to what should be a place for quiet contemplation.
In fairness to the BLM organizers, they had lots of people who knew how to organize a protest. The Convoy didn't, so they make rookie mistakes, like not predicting that some people who tagged along would be idiots.

In fairness to the BLM organizers, they had lots of people who knew how to organize a protest. The Convoy didn't, so they make rookie mistakes, like not predicting that some people who tagged along would be idiots.
Fair comment, but not an excuse for what they (grownups) could and should have anticipated.

Back