• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Explosion at Tim Hortons

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipperhead_cop

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Currently:

http://ca.news.yahoo.cbc.ca/cbc/s/02042006/3/canada-1-person-dies-blast-doughnut-shop-toronto.html

One person is dead after an explosion at a Tim Hortons outlet in Toronto on Sunday, while the resulting investigation has tied up traffic at one of the city's busiest intersections.
Media reports say the explosion happened at a Tim Hortons store very close to the intersection of Yonge and Bloor streets in the city's downtown core.
The explosion took place just after 1 p.m. local time.
There were no immediate reports of other injuries in the blast.
Details are still emerging about what happened in the incident.
Reports say traffic has been tied up throughout the area. Yonge Street, the busy north-south artery through the city, has been closed in both directions in the immediate area.
Emergency officials are on the scene.

Too early to say what really happened, but if this was a botched terrorism plan, they sure figured out how to strike at the heart of Canadians

(editted to take out  :p icon so as to not imply humor)

zipperhead_cop said:
Too early to say what really happened, but if this was a botched terrorism plan, they sure figured out how to strike at the heart of Canadians
If it was something of that nature, then this spin is not funny.

MCG said:
If it was something of that nature, then this spin is not funny.

I wasnt trying to be funny.  I use the smiley icons for that.  Tim's is a well known venue for all Canadians and people being afraid to attend one would strike a chord for many people.  It would be the same sort of thing if a Starbucks in the US got taken out. 

Further to my last:

CP - 38 minutes ago
TORONTO (CP) - A man died Sunday after an explosion in the washroom of a Tim Hortons doughnut shop in downtown Toronto, police said. They did not immediately confirm reports, by radio station AM-640, that a man had entered the washroom shortly before the blast with explosives strapped to his body.

CFL said:
If it was terrorism why detonate in the bathroom and not in the lobby?

He may not have meant to detonate in the bathroom...

There were reports in Israel of this happening, and they suspected the reason for detonating in the washroom was an accident. They were simply priming and working up the nerve in the washroom before making their way into the main area, but something went wrong and it went off premature.

Yeah I suppose but I think we are all jumping the gun here.  Could have been a kid with a M60 firecracker down the crapper for all we know.

Maybe it wasn't meant to be detonated in there. Maybe he was just getting set up, to go out to the busy street, was a total dufus, and triggered it by accident. Don't forget, most of the mules are not the bomb makers. Drunk, high, nervous, who knows, maybe he forgot the instructions.

Maybe it is nothing of the sort. Let's wait till the cops are done investigating. I don't trust the 4th estate to get anything right until they've been told through official sources, and then not always.

Agreed.  But if it turns out to be an IED, then don't be surprised if this thread is an off shoot of this one:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41619.0.html

Was watching CTV, and in the info-scraping race to out do each other, they round up two women to interview.  Not only do they have nothing to contribute, their heavy Asian accents make it pretty hard to understand what they were saying.  Didn't stop the interviewer from trying to flog them relentlessly, though.

zipperhead_cop said:
A man died Sunday after an explosion in the washroom of a Tim Hortons doughnut shop in downtown Toronto, police said. They did not immediately confirm reports, by radio station AM-640, that a man had entered the washroom shortly before the blast with explosives strapped to his body.

Oh you have to love karma    ;)

Regards

I wonder (if it turns out to be true) that it was the will of Allah that he went off prematurly.

I'd like to know how they knew he had explosives strapped to hit body. Did they evacuate the Timmies when they saw this? Another report said the perp had burns to his body. That should be quite an undestatement, normally there's nothing left but chunks of meat wrapped in burnt rags. Bad batch of homemade explosives I guess. Like I said, guess we'll have to wait for the official report.

Maybe a sign to Tim Horton's to stay out of Afghanistan?
Wouldn't surprise me if it's just extremist wanna-be's with no ties to anything big.

I think we all know that first news accounts are normally woefully inaccurate.

Maybe he just blow up his meth kit and the rest is typical media sensationalizing......

Fortunately more people weren't hurt/killed. Explosions outside of the kitchen area are very unusual, so I think its safe to say that this is probably an act of terrorism. Hopefully this will force the government to crack down.

an attack on a tim hortons now if this is not a attack on candian sovernighty then what is  :cdn:

really hope that the government will smart the hell up now !

howie

Hedgehog18 is that a joke or are you just trying to be a smart ass?

Either way its no laughing matter.  It could be almost anything and I don't think its safe to speculate.

I agree with the others who say wait it out and that primary reports are often faulty.

CBC reported that there was also a suspicious package found across the street. A bomb disposal team (the robot) made short work of it, but didnt report on whether it was found to be anything more than someones lunch.

Whether it is a terrorist group(Al Qaeda cell?) or just one seriously disturbed person, this scares me. That Tim's is always busy, in a very busy area, full of people, kids, you name it. Even scarier is that I almost went up there today to get some stuff from Cumberland Terrace, then decided to just stay downtown and walk.

With the recent arrests in Windsor and Newmarket, compounded by CAD troops in A'Stan, it could well be a cell decided to do something before getting caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back