• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EV's, Gas/Oil, and The Future- another swerve split from- JT Hints Boosting Canada’s Military Spending

Which does not meet our standards nor ever will.

Nobody ever said they would.

Also get to buy cheap fuel on the market to do so.

They buy the same fuel that we do. In fact, natural gas there is more expensive than here. So is oil.

So they will still be reliant on Coal and Natural gas in the future?

In case you haven't noticed, that part of the world is very sunny and has a lot of coastlines. There's a reason solar and offshore wind are growing by leaps and bounds there.

How reliant they'll be in the long term (20+ years) is very much debatable between the renewables and the nuclear they are building. But for now yes, as developing countries they have to use every energy source they can get their hands on. What is relevant to us is whether they start cutting back on oil for transport. That will have follow on economic impacts in Canada. Even natural gas grows as an export.

How reliant they'll be in the long term (20+ years) is very much debatable between the renewables and the nuclear they are building. But for now yes, as developing countries they have to use every energy source they can get their hands on. What is relevant to us is whether they start cutting back on oil for transport. That will have follow on economic impacts in Canada. Even natural gas grows as an export.
You do realize they use coal, natural gas and oil for more then making energy to make electricity and run your vehicle?

Oil and gas industry is not going anywhere, they also supply the feedstock for plastics, lubricating oils, fertilizers and likely a bunch of other stuff. Not mention propane and natural gas are used around the world for cooking. Typical to see a scooter with a couple of bottles of NG making deliverers to peoples houses. Most countries don't have the built in/up infrastructure that we do. Solar is great for lighting homes in developing countries and systems can be built cheaply with minimal tech. Bottle gas for cooking also requires minimal infrastructure as well.

What the developing world needs is Trudeau and Guilbeault aggressive enviornmental policies to bring them back from the brink of a climate disaster. No reason why those two couldn't completely electrify a country like India or the Condo with an EV-only policy by 2030.

I just read Ford is scaling down Electric vehicle manufacturing in its Oakville Ont plant in favor of producing more trucks. Possibly a hybrid in the future. But for now in the North American market gas and diesel rules.

I am all for people making individual choice to go EV, Hybrid, Hydrogen, Flintstone or ICE. I just don't want to be regulated to death.
To go further I actually support alot of the alternative uses but I view them as a series of tools. I don't want to be tied to a single commodity and/or power source that...should anything go wrong....creates huge issues.

I think back to the last major Quebec referendum and the PQ government talking about how they were going to sell all this power to maintain revenue....and then the northern First Nations indicated they were going to separate from Quebec and rejoin Canada. Quebec was trying to say they couldn't do that and would owe them compensation for the dams and there was one individual that made a crack of something like "we've got dynamite...we can solve the dam issue too and it's better for us anyways without it". I'm not supporting that line of thinking but it highlights how much a single power source can affect the grid if repairs and/or negative events occur.

To some of the comments made in this thread....are there lessons we can learn from other jurisdictions? Yes. Are all of the same solutions going to be suitable for Canada? No. Are the solutions going to be suitable for all of Canada? No.

I'm a huge fan of co-gen (if built right) especially the still relatively rare in Canada small generators used in Scandinavia. I fully support solar use especially if you're building large buildings like industrial shops/hangers or fencing in compounds where panels can be used as direct local support. Gas/coal/biogas all have issues and solutions depending on distance to end user/scrubbers used/age of technology/tolerances. Hydro can be good but I hate the transmission loss cost of major projects long distances from end user.

At the end of the day...provide positive solutions and equal rules for everyone and markets will adjust. For some folks EV's make a ton of sense especially in more urban centers while for others, like me in a rural area, they under current state do not.

Perhaps. There may be other countries willing to buy oil for a long time to come.

Fundamentally the problem is that every importer is motivated to reduce their imports. And they will try to do that as the technology develops. Right now it's oil that's the target, because half of all global oil consumption is personal road transport so that's a juicy target. Eventually, if the alternatives mature enough, the target will be LNG.

Fundamentally the problem is that every importer is motivated to reduce their imports.
Is that true?

Canada doesn’t need to be an importer, yet we are.

America doesn’t need to be an importer, but they are too.

What would be the reason these net exporters continue to import?

Is that true?

Canada doesn’t need to be an importer, yet we are.

America doesn’t need to be an importer, but they are too.

What would be the reason these net exporters continue to import?
Cheaper stuff…

So as long as Oil/Gas/other fossil fuel remains cheaper than other options no one is going to throw it away.

Back