• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driving Instructors?

raymao

Inactive
Reaction score
I tried searching for a relevant thread but couldn't find one.

I am in the process of applying for CF but I am curious if I should utilize some of my prior experience working as a driving instructor? Having spent a few years working for Young Drivers of Canada along with work experience as a truck and bus driver I may be able to offer these skills if they can be utilized. At present I have also spent the past 3 summers working as a motorcycle instructor. Does anyone know if I should be contacting anyone in specific regarding my background? Please post.

Any unit that routinely fields drivers will train its own driver instructors, and it can be expected that you will eventually be called upon to instruct a driving course.

DP1 Armoured has a driving component to it, obviously training MSE Ops (truckers) has a driver component to it, and there are universal Driver Wheeled courses (that train all types of soldiers to drive) that will require driver instructors.

It will, however, take several years of training before you are at the rank level to instruct on course, and I don't think the CF recognises any civvie instructor qualifications. Your past experience will undoubtedly help you be an *effective* driver instructor, but don't actually mean much in the context of gaining qualifications.

So what you are probably looking at is signing up in a trade, serving and training for several years until you make Master Corporal, then getting your Driver Instructor/Driver Examiner qualifications, and then you can operate as a driver instructor/examiner on any course that requires one.

MSE Op is your best bet to get that training, with Armour next - but be aware that you will train and serve as your trade for a long time before you ever start training drivers yourself.

DG

Thanks DG.

I am considering the ROTP program though, and I have listed Armoured as my second choice as far as my MOC, Logistics is on the top of the list but I understand there are not as many positions available in Log.

raymao
To become a Driver Instructor or Driver Examiner in the CF you must have a min of 4 years in your trade and 3 years collision free, plus being PLQ qualified (Non MSE Op). We have had some MSE Op in their first posting being qual Tractor Trailer on the civilian side, and were able to show us their logbooks. They were roadtested on the vehicle and were able to pass it, they are now qualified to drive Tractor Trailers. We do send  MSE Ops to Masstown in Truno, NS to become Instructor on both T/T and Buses. The CF has dropped the motorcycle in 2002, which I was part of. As an Officer within the CF you won't be used as a Driver Instructor/Examiner. All of the Brigades don't allow Officer/Senior NCO's to operate vehicles, especially SMP (standard military petten vehicles). As a Logistic officer within a Base Transport it will you a good insight of what they are require to do etc.... Not only am I both a  Driver Instructor/Examiner but qualified MSE Safety Supervisor and Collision Investigator. MSE Safety Supervisor are the only pers in the CF that can instruct on the Driver Instructor/Examiner courses.

Thank you for the information Fdtrucker, I figured I'd find out just in case it was of use. I read about the discontinued use of the motorcycle in the CF, too bad.

Back