• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dress/Parade Uniform

• Thread starter Thread starter b.scheller
  • Start date Start date
B

b.scheller

Ive always wondered why the Canadian Army isnt keen on wearing the dress uniforms. I have no military experience, and most of the stuff I know is from my father who was drafted in the army when he was 18 (this was back in Eastern Europe). I mean, from what he's told me; back in the old country. Dress uniforms were worn, when soldiers were out for leave either short or long. Field Uniforms were kept at the Garisson and were never seen outside. Anyway here everytime I see a Canadian soldier, on the bus (when Im going home from school) they usually wear field uniforms. Any particular reasons? Ive got a buddy whos in the reserve, and he says the dress uniforms are only worn in parades...

Does anyone have any pictures of the dress uniforms, they seem to be very rare when potrayed on the Forces website. Anyway I was just wondering, considering the Americans seem to have about a billion different uniforms for a common solldier, and Canada only has 2...

b.scheller said:
the Americans seem to have about a billion different uniforms for a common solldier, and Canada only has 2...

I'm trying to insult you , sir, but I was just curious about something, Why does everyone always compare us to America? We are our own country.

i'm not trying to compare Canada to the U.S of A, but it seems that unfortunetly throught media and whatever. The American army is much better advertised. I mean theirs lots of shows and movies about the U.S Armed Forces, and theirs always educational programs where you see them. Its not only that, if you walk into a surplus store. You will most likely find that half if not 3/4 of the stuff on sale comes from the American Army. People who like camouflage and military uniforms, are unfortunetly forced to buy American. Perhaps the sense of fashion also comes into the picture (since Canada other then the Cadpad doesnt have any camouflage uniforms; and Cadpads are either not on sale or are impossible to find).

My comparison comes, as a result of the fact that an average Canadian doesnt know what a Canadian soldier's uniform looks like. They are usually more familiar with the uniform of the American soldier...

Usually 3/4 of surplus store stock is reproduction  'made in China garbage". That stuff is not fit to wash my toilet with. However ther are good shops out there who are committed to the professional, but they usually expensive and are few and far between.

Be careful what you by as what appears to be officially taged with US NSN etc, it may not be real. Check the inside of the pockets of say MA-1 flying jackets. I have seen them with US tags, but made in The Philippines, yet priced as the same as USA made goods.

So, its buyer beware.

Recently at a Sydney gun show I saw some M9 bayonets NIB for $80, and I closly examined a few. They were indeed made in China CRAP. everything from the plastic to the blade and even the fastex buckles were all inferior garbage. Same goes for the PASGT helmet too. It looks like a real one, but it aint kevlar, and its not real, so what out waht you buy.

Cheers,

Wes

To answer your question, simply put, it's terribly hard to get any work done wearing a dress uniform (Double entendre intended).

Dress uniforms are, as the name suggests, intended for dress. They're not intended for work. Combat uniforms are designed to fight a war in, so they're also quite functional for every day tasks. The navy and the air force have retained somthing called "work dress", which is more functional then a dress uniform, and more formal then a combat uniform. The army used to have work dress, but unless you're sitting in an office for two thirds of the day, a combat uniform is better.

As somone else pointed out, please do not compare us to Americans, we are not Americans, we do things differently (Unless you want to compare us to Americans in the form of a contest, in which case we will happily out do them in whatever you like ;))

The reason you see so many television shows about the American army is that, unfortunately, the bulk of television you and everyone else in Canada watch, is made in America.

The reason you see so much American surplus, aside from the "made in China" factor is that simply put the American army is larger, and therefore throws out more (That, and the Canadian army is more likely to use somthing until it falls apart)

Oh, and Canada has had two other camoflauge uniforms.

There was the garrison dress jacket ( http://www.henrikc.dk/camouflage/details.asp?autono=100 ), though the colours in the cam pattern were picked to match the green dress pants that went with the uniform, and there was the airborne jump smock, which was a Canadian combat shirt in british DPM fabric as opposed to the usual olive drab fabric, it was worn with olive drab combat pants.

Just a Sig Op said:
Oh, and Canada has had two other camoflauge uniforms.

There was the garrison dress jacket ( http://www.henrikc.dk/camouflage/details.asp?autono=100 ), though the colours in the cam pattern were picked to match the green dress pants that went with the uniform, and there was the airborne jump smock, which was a Canadian combat shirt in british DPM fabric as opposed to the usual olive drab fabric, it was worn with olive drab combat pants.

WOW, thats cool, didn't know about that. They kind of look like BDU's with British colours lol.

thanks for the replies, i was just wondering. hopefully i didnt set anyones boots on fire...i am just a civilian  :-\

Back