• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
ive recieved 2 pairs ...1st one they misspelled my name...the second pair... the changed my blood type...8 months later im still waiting for them

I recieved my first pair right after basic training.

I recieved a second pair with my permanent ID card. dunno why

I guess I was lucky.  My unit actually mailed them up to Meaford for my while I was on course.

Hey, if these vintage WW2 German I-Discs could talk!

Recently found by Russian POISK volunteers in and around Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad).

After 60+ years they have been unearthed.

May these unkown warriors from country far far away, in a war, not so long ago   RIP

Wes

PS -  Its not hard to figure where the CF got the one piece I-Discs from.

I wear my discs all the time now as well, just to avoid losing then when you need them. Every time we go for a jump, the JM's inspect us to ensure we are wearing them and have removed or taped down all jewelry / watches for safety reasons. I have seen guys grounded by the JM for not having ID discs more than once. Crummy deal, easier to just leave them on.

I don't know if somebody higher up has been reading this thread, but ... very recently it came down the chain (no pun intended) for everybody to check and make sure their ID disks were up to date
(apparently, there are some people still wearing ID disks with their SIN number instead of their SN ... which kinda makes me wonder when was the last time these wastes of rations did anything "really Army" but ... let's not get me started on THAT rant ... chuckle - suffice it to say, it makes sense to have random ID disk checks rather than wait until the DAG ...).

As an aside, it's a relief to hear somebody with field experience mention that trick about "gutting" some para cord in order to make them less noisy (and, if they get too "grungy" it's simpleto just throw them in the wash or replace the cord - whichever is easier).

Another aside - I have to thank my tentmate Nathan for introducing me to those tiny/micro LED lights that you can clip onto your tags - it's absolutely worth its' weight in gold to always have a flashlight handy, 24/7 (and the light colour can be a fashion statement ... you should have seen "disco night" in tent B8 ... chuckle!!!)   I've got a good quality LED which I can wear in the shower (from the PX), but I've also seen cheaper/disposable ones for only one dollar at "A Buck or Two" (i.e. great stocking stuffers ...)

ABN RFN said:
You are just chalk full of Christmas gift ideas lately! Hilarious.

Hmmm ... and you're just chock full of para puns (i.e. chalk) ... !

bossi said:
I don't know if somebody higher up has been reading this thread, but ... very recently it came down the chain (no pun intended) for everybody to check and make sure their ID disks were up to date
(apparently, there are some people still wearing ID disks with their SIN number instead of their SN ... which kinda makes me wonder when was the last time these wastes of rations did anything "really Army" but ... let's not get me started on THAT rant ... chuckle - suffice it to say, it makes sense to have random ID disk checks rather than wait until the DAG ...).

Besides the SIN, you're supposed to get new ones if you've still got the aluminium ones instead of the stainless steel tags.

I allways wear mine as a young sapper I remember being charged by RSM Spruce (4cer) for not wearing them during a suprise inspection.1 days pay or two weeks extra duties.(I took the extras)
funny some of you are have trouble getting them I misplaced mine last year and reported it to the Meat Heads (MP's) had two replacement sets in to weeks just in time to find the misplaced ones.

I felt like I was on dog tag spam, I got 6 pairs in about 2 weeks, 3 years ago, I also received a slew of the name tags for the garrison dress.  I figure these things were all floating in a depot from when I joined and in a massive reshuffle and possible an act of god, some supply guy decided to actually forward something to me that was actually mine.  I am still waiting for a new set of CADPAT name tags, I ordered them about a year ago on line from the CFSU Ottawa site, send an enquiry and was told that I am only entitled to 3 tags, which must have came from a batch held together with spit, dreams, and hope, cause they all delaminated about a month after putting them on the shirts.

"No, Goretex socks stay here, if I give you a pair of size 13's, there will only be 185 pairs of size 13' left, that takes the total down to only 2599 pairs on the shelves.  They are better here than on your feet.  Eyes off of that poncho liner, keep your hands clapping"

Clothing stores blows my mind sometimes

The dog tag chain is ment to snap when enough force is applyed. If you put para cord totally around it well...not good. A WO used a guy in my regiment to demonstrate why this was a bad idea. This Cpl happened to have paracord all the way round and happily came out in front to show off his tags. He was then pulled around in about 6 different directions by the WO to prove the point. I have seen any of the guys with paracordaround the tags since.

2FERSapper said:
The dog tag chain is ment to snap when enough force is applyed. If you put para cord totally around it well...not good. A WO used a guy in my regiment to demonstrate why this was a bad idea. This Cpl happened to have paracord all the way round and happily came out in front to show off his tags. He was then pulled around in about 6 different directions by the WO to prove the point. I have seen any of the guys with paracordaround the tags since.

You don't replace the chain with paracord. Cut a length of cord slightly shorter than the chain. Pull the guts out of it, and thread the chain through the tube. The chain will still separate if need be.

Dingbat said:
Was that the bridge build w/ the SSM and Cpl M-V?

Huh?  I thought this discussion was about "dog tags"/ID disks ...

Bomber said:
"No, Goretex socks stay here, if I give you a pair of size 13's, there will only be 185 pairs of size 13' left, that takes the total down to only 2599 pairs on the shelves.   They are better here than on your feet.   Eyes off of that poncho liner, keep your hands clapping"

Clothing stores blows my mind sometimes

Storesman Storesman, watch out for the Storesman!!!  Spins a lie any size, just to protect his supplies!! Watch out for the Storesman!!!
( Sung to the tune  Spiderman, Spiderman ) ;D

bossi said:
Huh?  I thought this discussion was about "dog tags"/ID disks ...

Sorry...I was refering to 2FERSapper's post about a WO dragging a Cpl by his paracorded dogtags.  Back on track now...

Back