• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dog Tags

• Thread starter maple_leaf_forever
  • Start date
elizabeth said:
Hey, I heard a rumor that the chain on the dog tags are supposed to break if you are getting strangled by them. Does anyone know about this? I always thought that they would be a hazard in the field. Thanks.

??!

It will 29 yrs in January with two Armies, and this is the first time I have heard such a rumour! Bloody helll! The chain is cheap smaller grade bathtub plug chain, not stainless, either, as it will make the back of your kneck gray, depending on what contractor got the job. Its sold to Defence by the km!

If you beleive this I got some arid land in the Simpson Desert for ya too.

Like any small cheap chain it will break. US stock standard I-Disc chains is used here, and this stuff has been around for 64 years.

As for using 550 lbs shroud line, maybe there is an LCF factor, or something, who knows. I have even seen 550 cord have the guts removed, and the outer part used to cover the chain to stop the metal rubbing off on your neck, and I have seen 550 cord used plain ( only when I was in the CF, never here), but this could cause ya problems ( yes it sure could choke ya), firstly they collect body odour, and stink, and secondly it burns off and melts, possibly leaving you unidentified if you get fried in an armourered vehicle or aircraft. At least CF tags are stainless steel, as they used to be aluminium until about 1990.

I wear one tag on my left boot   ;D BTW that a very dead brown snake, one of the most deadliest in the world.

Regards,

Wes

Yummy, I love debridement injuries....

thats what its called when someone pulls the skin off their finger because they left their ring on....

From what I have seen, they hurt ALOT.

When I was a young trooper, I heard the same tale. While there is some truth into the fact that the chain is designed to be strong, yet easy to break, it is cheap and easily accessable material.

Follow Wes' advice and heed mine. If you do put on 550 cord, no more then half the length of your chain, and only enough to cover the area of metal to skin contact at the back of your neck.

What you can do with the 550 cord (Wes mentioned it) is simply take out the guts. What you can do then is run the length of the 550 cord, just short of where the chain goes into the dog tag. When you do that, take a lighter and seal the ends along the dog tag chain. This keeps the noise down, the grey stuff off your neck and it still will allow the chain to break if it becomes hung up on something. Worked for me, although I must confess that now I just wear the damn things when I need to, and take 'em off when I get home.

TM

Am I the only one who just never bother to wear them? I mean, they were cool for the first 2 days, but really, the novelty doesn't extend far beyond that.  I'm not sure if that's against the dress regs or not, guess I'll find out one day, but mine have been just in my pocket for years, and The ID inspections on parade are only to make sure you have them, noone ever told me they had to be around my neck all the time.

When i was army, nobody ever wore them and most of us couldnt remember where they were.  Now that i am aircrew however, i wear them every day so i dont lose them.  As per flying orders and such we are required to wear them while flying.

Britney Spears said:
Am I the only one who just never bother to wear them? I mean, they were cool for the first 2 days, but really, the novelty doesn't extend far beyond that.   I'm not sure if that's against the dress regs or not, guess I'll find out one day, but mine have been just in my pocket for years, and The ID inspections on parade are only to make sure you have them, noone ever told me they had to be around my neck all the time.

I can't speak for the army, but the 1 CAD flying orders state that all pers on CF aircraft must wear them next to the skin. I wear mine when I go flying, I take them off when I get home. As far as I know all the boys at work wear theirs too.

aesop, you posted while I was typing, glad to see I wasn't the only one to read the CADORDs.  ;D

Hemmm......Inch:

Shame on you ! didnt you read the memo, 1 CAD is no longer to be refered to as 1 CAD............it is now 1 Cdn Air Div !!!

LOL......... ;)

Of course I did, old habits die hard.  :-[

i figured as much......

my flight yesterday wasnt cancelled......for a change......i think its because we finaly had a different first officer, Capt ************ is bad luck !!

Hmm, good thing I'm not in the air force then....

Hopefully, there arn't too many RSMs reading this thread, no need to give them any ideas......

Britney Spears said:
Hmm, good thing I'm not in the air force then....

Hopefully, there arn't too many RSMs reading this thread, no need to give them any ideas......
Sorry Britney, you blonde bimbo... :-*

Army troops are to wear them next to skin as well. A rule only really enforced overseas.

48Highlander said:
No, not the dogtag chain. When I was a typical young private foolishly wearing his dogtags to the bars, I managed to lose a pair when a rowdy local attempted to use them for just that purpose. I'm not sure what the test strength on the chain is, but it's not enough to choke you.

HEHEHE man oh man I don't care what people say, but times don't change.

Same thing happened to me in one of the down town bars.   hehehe luckily i had the rest of the gang with me to light the pair up like a Christmas tree!!!

Found the tags on the floor and pocketed them, used plain drain plug chain, as Wes talked about, to make a new chain.

cheers 48th ya brought back some funny memories.

dileas
tess

the 48th regulator said:
HEHEHE man oh man I don't care what people say, but times don't change.

Same thing happened to me in one of the down town bars.  hehehe luckily i had the rest of the gang with me to light the pair up like a Christmas tree!!!

Found the tags on the floor and pocketed them, used plain drain plug chain, as Wes talked about, to make a new chain.

cheers 48th ya brought back some funny memories.

dileas
tess

Glad I could make you smile :)  My "experience" was in Owen Sound, but you're right, some things never change. 

For some reason they gave me a second pair the other day... Anyway i never wear them.

48Highlander said:
Glad I could make you smile :)   My "experience" was in Owen Sound, but you're right, some things never change.  

LMAO, i just dont know why, but it doesnt surprise me ;D

The only time I really ever bother is when I'm actually in the field. Never know when some fuckie private is gonna ND in your direction on a live range.

That, and I wore them every day I was out doing range clearance. I figured if someone "found" a 500 pounder or something similarly large, I wanted the medics to know what type of blood to pump into me.

Back