• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Do soldiers get extra money for going into combat?

SBD,

I think the problems we have in cbt arms units are not going to be solved by issuing badges (eg Commander in Chief Commendation). Vets (all of us) should wear our medals and be very proud of our service.  To truly understand what the medals mean, you really need to talk with the WW2, Korea, Bosnia, Croatia, Afghanistan vet and hear what they have to say. 

I hate to say this, but I would prefer not taking an American approach where you get medals for just doing your job.  When I hear someone has returned from overseas with a "bronze star", my first reaction is "big deal, everyone gets one if they serve with the Americans". 

PS - we still wear jump wings don't we?  ;)

I guess im in the minority that feels emulating the Americans isnt a terribly bad thing to do, especially when it comes to running a military- they dont just 'hand out' medals on a whim, although you are correct that alot of Canadians who've recieved the bronze star either put in for it themselves or got it for a desk job ( and this is still going on )

Even in our military their is a very strong 'break glass in case of exercise' mentality among soldiers, and team this and team that, the team didnt get me outta the big ass tent over there in 7 months while the team all had hard shacks with AC (mild flashback)

while i agree the whole effort can only be brought about by the contribution of everyone over there, there is a very good reason why armies dating back to Alexander have rewarded combat troops with commendations/medals/rewards etc- and its quite simple:

cuz they are combat troops- after about our 8 or 9th Tic our Pl was feeling pretty good about ourselves, we had kicked some serious booty, against some serious odds, we were all still safe, and getting very good at knowing what to do-feeling cocky- then we were in a leaguer with some 10th MTN dudes-all business- totally confidant,effecient,calm and proffesional- i asked one PL SGT who was 24 ( yes 24) and had been to Iraq twice and Afgan twice how many Tic's he'd been in- he stopped counting after 100....

we knew then that these dudes and others like them were the 'NHL' of soldiering- we all felt like PeeWee level players at that moment. but these guys all knew about the fighting we'd done from some other Americans and were so happy to have another nation fighting with them they asked for our uniform flags or whatever we could give them cause they were proud to have us fight beside them, gave us pats on the back, traded stuff and stories, more then anyone on our team

when people talk about teams- that to me is a team-

On the Bronze Star, seems like the only ones who get those are senior officers and NCO that really don't deserve it, i am sure the guys from 3VP have some stories and i am sure we will have some also when ours are handed out.

I guess im in the minority that feels emulating the Americans isnt a terribly bad thing to do, especially when it comes to running a military- they dont just 'hand out' medals on a whim, although you are correct that alot of Canadians who've recieved the bronze star either put in for it themselves or got it for a desk job ( and this is still going on )

I would argue that they do - and that they're much more liberal with medals than we are.  A US friend of mine received a Meritorious Service Medal.  The citation read (I'm not kidding):  "XXXX is a transportation superstar".  That's it...  ::)

The Bronze Star...  I've posted on this before.  It is important for all to realize that the US has two types of Bronze Stars - with "V" (denoting valour) and without (for "meritorious service"). Aside from the stars awarded to the 3 VP snipers on APOLLO, all (IIRC) CF Bronze Stars have been "for meritorious service".  It's for doing a good job - often on the staff - in a theatre of operations and nothing more.

Here are the criteria:

A. Authorized by Executive Order 9519, (Bronze Star Medal), Feb. 4, 1944, superseded by Executive Order 11046.

B. Awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself after 6 December 1941, by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, under any of the following circumstances:

(1) While engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States.

(2) While engaged in military operations involving conflict with an op-posing foreign force.

(3) While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

C. When the Bronze Star is awarded for heroism, a bronze letter "V" (for valor) is worn on the suspension and service ribbon of that medal.

The US lately has interpreted these criteria quite liberally and there was some controversy after Kosovo on the issue of the Bronze Star to various personnel.

On the Bronze Star, seems like the only ones who get those are senior officers and NCO that really don't deserve it, i am sure the guys from 3VP have some stories and i am sure we will have some also when ours are handed out.

You do realize, I hope, that Canada has nothing - zero - to do with who gets these medals and who doesn't.  It is entirely an American decision without input from the Canadian chain of command.  If you're going to rant on a subject, at least do it from an educated perspective.

There is a study underway why the Army hasnt authorized more combat decorations primarily Distinguished Service Crosses and Medals of Honor. So far the Marines have awarded more DSC's than the Army.

On the flip side we are very liberal in awarding medals for achievement. Not to mention badges. In Iraq only the infantry get the covted Combat Infantry Badge. Because we had so many non-infantry troops performing infantry functions beyond the wire that the Combat Action Medal was born. The Marines have a good approach the Combat Action Ribbon. I have seen some soldiers with 8 commendation medals or achievement medals. Its a bit harder to accumulate so many Meritorius Service Medals/Defense MSM. The Legion of Merit is awarded usually to Colonels but I have seen a  few LTC's get one. Of course we have a plethora of service medals and campign medals. Its a bit hard to keep up anymore. ;D

The debate on medals could and Im sure will, go back and forth, for every story of an American 'medal of superduperness' there is a Canadian one as well I assure you, spreadsheets, the 125, etc, perhaps we dont pin them all on everyone's chest like the Americans, we use a plethora of coins,  so i suppose this can give us some sense of superiority, though Im not sure why, maybe it's the 'less is more' adage

Or 'be satisfied with a job well done' saying we are so fond of spurting, we couldn't even dig an 'atta boy' out of most of our commanders over there,( though they did like to remind us to shave) so I've little doubt as to the status of any idea of medals being given to the lads/ladies who were up front

For every wrong situation a medal is given out ( teddies example works ) there are generally several good ones that are also recognized, perhaps the Americans dont give out too many medals, just the right amount

my 'uneducated' opinion

Shouldnt' it be based upon where you live?

Here in the US (i'm us army) you get paid based upon your rank, dependents and your home city.

18 y/o's from the ghetto may make a crapload of money.  Family men living in NYC with 3 kids and a mortgage may barely make ends meet.

r

Back