• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

Records are for management, not combat.

But they permit identification of skills (writ large) when needed. Need people with specific language skills to sit in an airconditioned box and translate? That should be on the MPRR, searchable, so Bloggins can be sent for testing and, if their skills are sufficient, we can send them to that airconditioned box.

Simple solution (proposed years ago and ignored): Formal quals - granted / validated by CAF. Self-declared quals - free text field not validated or confirmed. So you're a volunteer firefighter? Check. You speak and write Klingon? Check (obviously the latter is probably reserved for the RCCS.)

Of course, that requires granting individuals enhanced access to their own pers information. And the ability to input info. Including flagging corrections. And, once flagged, corrections need a service standard for action - with accountability for failing to act.
We’ve been staff checked many times for languages and have historically kept a bank of names in case the need arises and it does at times. Beyond Franco and Anglo.

But they permit identification of skills (writ large) when needed. Need people with specific language skills to sit in an airconditioned box and translate? That should be on the MPRR, searchable, so Bloggins can be sent for testing and, if their skills are sufficient, we can send them to that airconditioned box.
Sometimes it’s just to send a driver for some visiting dignitary that can speak the language.

Not leveraging the skills people can bring to the table is a mistake in my opinion.

CAF should also understand what professionals are licenced to do - and not licenced to do - when off-duty.

Simple solution (proposed years ago and ignored): Formal quals - granted / validated by CAF. Self-declared quals - free text field not validated or confirmed. So you're a volunteer firefighter? Check. You speak and write Klingon? Check (obviously the latter is probably reserved for the RCCS.)

Of course, that requires granting individuals enhanced access to their own pers information. And the ability to input info. Including flagging corrections. And, once flagged, corrections need a service standard for action - with accountability for failing to act.
Just a guess - this was not a PY neutral solution.

:unsure:

We’ve been staff checked many times for languages and have historically kept a bank of names in case the need arises and it does at times. Beyond Franco and Anglo.
As I said - two types of quals. MPRR. Stops the need to send staff checks. That assumes units will keep records up to date. Which, in the Army Reserve, does not happen.

Again - if unit records are not maintained / transfers take months / releases take months etc etc, then let a few Army Res COs hang "pour encourager les autres".

Just a guess - this was not a PY neutral solution.

:unsure:
Self service in HR can reduce demand for clerks.

But, as noted elsewhere many times, the Army is not serious about admin, particularly for Res units. A clerk's role is to administer. If you send them to instruct on a BMQ, that admin doesn't happen. If you use the money that's intended for a class B clerk to hire a class B Regimental Anniversary Planner instead, that admin doesn't happen.

Self service in HR can reduce demand for clerks.

But, as noted elsewhere many times, the Army is not serious about admin, particularly for Res units. A clerk's role is to administer. If you send them to instruct on a BMQ, that admin doesn't happen. If you use the money that's intended for a class B clerk to hire a class B Regimental Anniversary Planner instead, or the CO had to find his side dish a job, that admin doesn't happen.

There, augmented that for you ;)

I think your saying MPRR but meaning monitor mass, to make them searchable you need standardized titles / qual codes / ect ect. So we fall back on who’s going to do that for the whole mess of civilian qualifications; for the benefit of knowing Cpl Bloggins is a first year basket weaver, sadly when needed for the great basket emergency he won’t have his tools or means to transport them so it’s all for naught.

Oh, definitely don’t stick the information in MonitorMASS. If it matters then put it in the real system of record, not into the Franken-app.

I think your saying MPRR but meaning monitor mass, to make them searchable you need standardized titles / qual codes / ect ect. So we fall back on who’s going to do that for the whole mess of civilian qualifications; for the benefit of knowing Cpl Bloggins is a first year basket weaver, sadly when needed for the great basket emergency he won’t have his tools or means to transport them so it’s all for naught.

Attitudes like this is why we can’t get anything done and why the reserves are in the state that it is. « Sorry, too hard. »

Attitudes like this is why we can’t get anything done and why the reserves are in the state that it is. « Sorry, too hard. »
No, the reserves is non functional because it fights tooth and nail to stay built on a system of 1890s social clubs as opposed to evolving. Do you think keeping tabs of civilian quals would stop people getting out or all of a sudden makes the Rocky Mountain Rangers a viable Bn?

Don’t worry I’m not so thin skinned I get offended by a different opinion.

Oh, definitely don’t stick the information in MonitorMASS. If it matters then put it in the real system of record, not into the Franken-app.
It works better than people give it credit for, just a terrible UI.

So we fall back on who’s going to do that for the whole mess of civilian qualifications; for the benefit of knowing Cpl Bloggins is a first year basket weaver, sadly when needed for the great basket emergency he won’t have his tools or means to transport them so it’s all for naught.

Even if they had the equipment and supplies, certain professions are not licenced in their clinical practice when working part-time for the CAF.

But the CAF could license/indemnify them in extremis.

I am only familiar with Medical Control in Ontario.

The paramedic must be on duty as an employee of a licensed ambulance service when providing any advanced life support care to any patient within Ontario to be covered by their respective Base Hospital Program Medical Director’s License.

I was an MSE Op. As far as CAF Med Techs are concerned, I just know what I read on here.

Medics are not maintaining their PCP licence for the same reason that they are not completing their yearly MCSP requirements. And its not because Med techs lack motivation or drive.
I have been a Medic for 11 years. I'm on my 6Th posting, and have been licensed as a PCP in 5 different provinces. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to maintain a licence but I have finally given up. 11 years in, and I have only had 2 shifts on Amb through the MCSP program.
Until the CoC gets serious about providing real MCSP for Medics (that EHS in Canada will honor), most Medics will not be able to maintain a licence.

The issue I've found is that I was licensed in BC upon completion of my PCP. Now I'm posted in Ontario and I asked about challenging the Ontario exam to become licensed here. I was told that the unit will only pay for QL5's to do this. I also haven't received any opportunities for MCSP, and I've been posted for over 2 years now. So now my license in BC has expired and I do not hold any sort of qualification in Ontario. I'd hoped the military would have been more supportive of keeping us Med Tech's licensed so that the training we'd received would be more useful.

Back in 2007 the military approached the MOHLTC to accept their QL5 Med Techs if trained at JIBC, to be permitted to challenge the AEMCA. In the past the Ministry has permitted this, but has required an additional of 120 hrs minimum of field placement in Ontario.

To obtain these hours you could participate in a Med Tech Field Placement Program. Currently there are several Military Med Tech Field Placement Programs that have been implemented across Ontario. This Program offers Med Techs both QL3 and QL5 the opportunity to obtain these 120 hours, in addition to having the ability to be Temporarily Certified to perform Medical Directives consist ( sic ) with that of a Primary Care Paramedic in Ontario while doing their ride alongs. Some services that currently offer this program are: Ottawa, Toronto, Renfrew County, and possibly Simcoe County. There may be a couple other services that offer it as well.

In the past three years we have offered this program to 57 Med Techs.

The process generally calls for writing the AEMCA in addition to possibly a practical skills test (has been done in the past - but not always depending on qualifications and education)."

There was an agreement posted on the CFHS website between the CF and the Ontario MOHLTC allowing QL5's to challenge the AEMCA exam.

The link no longer works.

"Recognition of QL5A & Challenge of AEMCA exam:

Reference A is a confirmation letter by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Emergency Health Services Branch, recognizing the CF QL5 Med Tech as meeting the PCP requirements to challenge the AEMCA exam, all QL5 Med Techs are encouraged to prepare for and write this exam with approval through their Chain of Command. Upon successful completion of this exam, those Med Techs will have access to On-car opportunities to complete their MCSP in Ontario.

A decision was made that going forward, all CAF HS occupations would hold an equivalent civilian license or certification. That is when the PCP qualified Med Tech appeared in the Reg F. We (at the coal face) knew from the very outset that it was just not sustainable for a variety of reasons. PCP was seen as the one qual that was accepted (mostly) across Canada, allowing our pers to be posted, or employed on DOMOPS without too much difficulty. Reality was very different though, as has been noted above.

That is when the PCP qualified Med Tech appeared in the Reg F. We (at the coal face) knew from the very outset that it was just not sustainable for a variety of reasons. PCP was seen as the one qual that was accepted (mostly) across Canada, allowing our pers to be posted, or employed on DOMOPS without too much difficulty. Reality was very different though, as has been noted above.

END QUOTE

No, the reserves is non functional because it fights tooth and nail to stay built on a system of 1890s social clubs as opposed to evolving. Do you think keeping tabs of civilian quals would stop people getting out or all of a sudden makes the Rocky Mountain Rangers a viable Bn?

Don’t worry I’m not so thin skinned I get offended by a different opinion.

It works better than people give it credit for, just a terrible UI.
I didn’t mean to offend if it came off that way. And it may and does look tocome off like that.

I would suggest that is very antiquated and biased view of the reserves and just how desperate they actually do want to evolve.

The CAF has no idea what it wants from its reserve force and in particular the army reserves.
I’m not saying that some units are resistant to certain changes but at some point things break when they are ignored or left to rot for too long.

Have searchable check boxes for different types of qualifications and skills along the ability to put in dates. The check boxes can be generic (Class 3 drivers licence, First Aid training, 2nd language, diving certification, explosive ticket, mechanic training) Have a profile that each member can update as needed and by logging in themselves.
This would allow a quick database search for potentiel skillsets, then a more granular search can be done through the results fairly quickly.

Back