• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Divining the right role, capabilities, structure, and Regimental System for Canada's Army Reserves

We shouldn’t build a model around them. But we should be leveraging the skills they have when we can.

On one of the Lentus DomOPs they wouldn’t let us go out without a medic with each group. We only had 2 but we were sending out multiple groups. We had two infantry cpls who were civy fire fighters. Both were way more qualified than the two reserve medics we had so we managed to get permission to have them act as our « medics » with the two we had.

I’m sure there are plenty of other examples where civy skill sets could be utilized but we just ignore to our loss.
What you’ve described here is literally force structure. You didn’t have enough medics, that’s a structure issue, so you now had to rely on some one’s civy skills, so now you have to track who has what, what that equates do ect ect. In the context of a medic that means their scope of practice which is different province to province, and qualification to qualification.

We had two infantry cpls who were civy fire fighters. Both were way more qualified than the two reserve medics we had so we managed to get permission to have them act as our « medics » with the two we had.

You could have an infantry cpl with an Honours Bachelor of Science Degree in Paramedicine from the University of Toronto, employed as an Ontario Critical Care Paramedic.

But, if something goes down when they are off-duty,

Paramedics have no medical delegation or authority to perform controlled acts as a bystander, a firefighter, a first responder or in any other job capacity when they are off duty.

They can dial 9-1-1 with the best of them. But, other than first-aid and CPR, that's about it.

Medics are in fact one of the professions that give me pause as to how reasonable it is to have professionals in the reserves. This is not because of the value that they bring day to day, which is substantial, but how useable they are in an emergency or disaster when they will probably be even more required in their civilian role. They are already essential workers. Will their skill be as well utilized in the role of a military medic as they would be as a civilian nurse or paramedic.

If the intent is to expand the availability of skilled workers in an emergency through activating a military reserve don't we have to position those essential "military" skills in a civilian workforce that is not inherently essential during an emergency?

:unsure:

If the intent is to expand the availability of skilled workers in an emergency through activating a military reserve don't we have to position those essential "military" skills in a civilian workforce that is not inherently essential during an emergency?

:unsure:

Our orders were,

Military Leave
24.09 (a) Leave of absence shall be granted to employees to serve in the Armed Forces during hostilities or during a time of war as declared by the Government of Canada. Seniority will accumulate during such leave.

"Hostilities" or "war".

Nothing about leave for Dom Ops.

Our orders were,

Military Leave
24.09 (a) Leave of absence shall be granted to employees to serve in the Armed Forces during hostilities or during a time of war as declared by the Government of Canada. Seniority will accumulate during such leave.
I'm thinking more in the nature of a call out for a domestic disaster or health crisis like supporting facilities during COVID etc where the aim is to augment the civilian health care workers. There's still scope for that if the disaster is local and you can bring in professionally qualified reservists from other provinces but, as has been pointed out here, those people might still end up underemployed because of provincial licencing restrictions.

🍻

I'm thinking more in the nature of a call out for a domestic disaster or health crisis like supporting facilities during COVID etc where the aim is to augment the civilian health care workers.

🍻

Like HUSAR CAN-TF3. They are able to respond to disaster situations at a city, provincial and national level, as well as offer international assistance.

There are other specialty teams as well.

But, those police, firefighters and paramedics would be under the command of the City of Toronto. Not the CAF.

There's still scope for that if the disaster is local and you can bring in professionally qualified reservists from other provinces but, as has been pointed out here, those people might still end up underemployed because of provincial licencing restrictions.
Right.

In Canada, provincial paramedic regulators have the legislated authority to grant registration/licensure/certification to individuals to practice as paramedics. Regulation, registration/licensing/certification requirements and practice standards differ in each provincial jurisdiction.

Most emergency responses end up bringing in people from outside the affected area (eg. swarms of utility workers); there aren't that many scenarios where all possible hands are needed and those scenarios usually mean we have much bigger problems to solve.

Most emergency responses end up bringing in people from outside the affected area (eg. swarms of utility workers); there aren't that many scenarios where all possible hands are needed and those scenarios usually mean we have much bigger problems to solve.
It why we had a few firefighters in our unit come out on one OP Lentus. They wanted to deploy to help and got the time off to do it. Mileage will vary I would guess on the emergency, how local it is and flexibility of the employer.

What you’ve described here is literally force structure. You didn’t have enough medics, that’s a structure issue, so you now had to rely on some one’s civy skills, so now you have to track who has what, what that equates do ect ect. In the context of a medic that means their scope of practice which is different province to province, and qualification to qualification.
Which is what we already do when qualified (ie semi skilled) pers apply to the CAF.

Being in a government town I was, at one time, taken to task for trying to recruit public servants.

Clearly, there are alot of skills present in the public service that are useful in a CAF context, they are all local residents and so unlikely to move cities (unlike students), and they all have clauses in their employment agreements that permit them to take time off for military training.

This went against the grain of harvesting young and impressionable (and much faster and easier to recruit) souls from local high schools and colleges though, so this idea was consigned to the dustbin of history by the reigning autarks ;)
FFS… 🤦‍♂️

The job changed quite a bit over the years as I moved up and as the terms of reference of what LegOs did and had to do.

In my early years as a major I was a jack of all trades doing all of the above and much more. One of my biggest roles then was "legal advice by walking around" which essentially was visiting the district's units during their parade nights and exercises and having coffee with folks. It's surprising how much you can find out about the issues a unit is having by having a friendly cup of coffee with them. I also did a fair bit of prosecuting and defence work in those days. (This was before DMP and DDCS when we prosecuted within our own region and would be called on as defence counsel in other regions). A ton of lecturing on Ops Law (primarily LOAC) and Mil Justice.

As lieutenant colonel DAJAG the job was mainly supervising all the ResF LegOs in MilAreaPrairie, dealing with the district commanders and CWO on broad legal issues and working on appellate cases before the CMAC. That later switched to a role as a DLaw/SP with DLawT to do training which turned out to be a bust (funding issues for exercises) so I turned my attention to creating policy documents for ResF LegO governance and a further ton of lecturing on Ops Law.

My last job as DJAG/Res was a the CAF's senior ResF legal advisor where I was concerned with overall governance of all ResF LegOs (but not command as that remained within the various directorates), advising CRes and Cadets and Council; providing legal advice on various ResF centric projects and participating in international ResF agencies (a lot of swanning around on that but very busy).

Long story short. The job a ResF LegO does is very much dependant on what they are willing to do and what their AJAG or Director assigns them to do. Some stay connected primarily to their ResF brigades and provide the bulk of the legal services to them while other who have special talents are much more used across the board. Each of an AJAG office, DMP and DDCS is in fact a total force organization which is commanded by a RegF LegO with a ResF deputy and a variety of RegF and ResF LegOs with varying talents. How each operates is very much personality and ability driven.

One point on contracts. In my day there wasn't much contract work for AJAGs (and none for DMP or DDCS that I know of). Much of that is specialized work that's more in the purview of DND&CF LA (and prior to DND&CF LA there was a JAG directorate that did most of that). There was some minor claims work decentralized to AJAGs but contracting isn't really part of what ResF LegOs get involved in even though some of them were experts at it in their private practice.

🍻
Sorry that an an excellent reply to a question I asked in error.

Yea, in specific trades. Trying to keep tabs on every paint, plumber, and candle stick maker in the reserves specific qualifications would be an administrative nightmare for very little practical gain.
We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Not leveraging the skills people can bring to the table is a mistake in my opinion.

But we are still stuck in an 1980s mindset and modernizing isn’t something the CAF is good at so I get it.

Not leveraging the skills people can bring to the table is a mistake in my opinion.

But we are still stuck in an 1980s mindset and modernizing isn’t something the CAF is good at so I get it.
It would be very simply to add a section to one’s MPRR (or whatever that is today) on supplemental qualifications.
However given that my MPRR was never accurate and for years was sent in a never ending circle for updates in the Reg Force, I’m not really optimistic that it would be any better in the Reg Force.

And I fail to see how any of what your talking about pertains to modernization, restructuring the reserves, and reconstitution. Yes good we have firefighters, and occasionally that may be useful, but there is a point in which it’s much simpler to just blanket train everybody.

Leveraging Skills - Good, but how on earth does that help us recruit, retain, and reconstitute ?

It would be very simply to add a section to one’s MPRR (or whatever that is today) on supplemental qualifications.
However given that my MPRR was never accurate and for years was sent in a never ending circle for updates in the Reg Force, I’m not really optimistic that it would be any better in the Reg Force.
It wouldn’t be though, because now we have to track a) the qualification, b) the granting institution, c) what that qualification actually means, d) expiry, required retraining, and any other licensing issues. Who do we expect to do that?

It wouldn’t be though, because now we have to track a) the qualification, b) the granting institution, c) what that qualification actually means, d) expiry, required retraining, and any other licensing issues. Who do we expect to do that?
Clearly the same folks who already don’t do that for CAF courses in the MPRR ;)

Beyond that easy…

Simple solution (proposed years ago and ignored): Formal quals - granted / validated by CAF. Self-declared quals - free text field not validated or confirmed. So you're a volunteer firefighter? Check. You speak and write Klingon? Check (obviously the latter is probably reserved for the RCCS.)

Of course, that requires granting individuals enhanced access to their own pers information. And the ability to input info. Including flagging corrections. And, once flagged, corrections need a service standard for action - with accountability for failing to act.

Simple solution (proposed years ago and ignored): Formal quals - granted / validated by CAF. Self-declared quals - free text field not validated or confirmed. So you're a volunteer firefighter? Check. You speak and write Klingon? Check (obviously the latter is probably reserved for the RCCS.)

Of course, that requires granting individuals enhanced access to their own pers information. And the ability to input info. Including flagging corrections. And, once flagged, corrections need a service standard for action - with accountability for failing to act.
Of course if we were actually fighting the Russians in Latvia and your vehicle broke down and the cook said he could fix it she'd just do it...no referring to the MPRR required.

And I fail to see how any of what your talking about pertains to modernization, restructuring the reserves, and reconstitution. Yes good we have firefighters, and occasionally that may be useful, but there is a point in which it’s much simpler to just blanket train everybody.

Leveraging Skills - Good, but how on earth does that help us recruit, retain, and reconstitute ?

HR modernisation is a thing. And should be part of any discussion as it pertains to restructuring the reserves or any large organisation.

It’s bigger picture. If I can get troops dagged faster and more efficiently (ie PFET training) rather than wait months or in some cases longer because we can’t get a reg force fire fighter to come out one evening after hours or on a Saturday morning. Or get the nurse I have that is more than willing to help expedite some recruiting medicals that will otherwise sit for months on end because that part of the system is broken.

All I can do is offer up what suggestions I can when asked. I don’t make the big decisions.

As I said we can agree to disagree.

Back