• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dinner with PM a waste of time: Williams

Now having said all this do I agree with someone living on EI? Yes and no.

My biggest thing is that in Newfoundland right now the economy is so poor that part time jobs are mostly what you are going to find.And people getting into the FBI union are a rare case.You have to get IIRC over 250 hours strait work in a year.Your name is on a list
and when the ships come in they call who they need.

I know MANY people you get 220ish hours strait then get sent home.Unionized plant workers get paid more,plus get full time positions.
Thus the cycle of the pogey.

If everyone here is so dead against the Newfies on pogey heres what you should do.Write your member of paraliment.Tell them you wish to see more money pumped into Newfoundland from Government.For the only purpose for development of the economy,to produce fulltime jobs so the 11.3 percent welfare bum's and pogey guys can make a stable life for their family's.This would then cost the union of Canada less money in welfare checks and pogey payments...
Oh wait...sounds a whole lot like what Danny is trying to do doesn't it?

Given the choice I can honestly say MOST people in my area of Newfoundland would be glad to have full time job's.However it's not the reality.

Ok, so hire 60.  Or 90.  The numbers are immaterial.  Maybe those fewer "seasonal" plant workers should get 80 or 90 grand for their 13 weeks of work- and no pogey. The point is- other industries subsidize the survival of the fishery unfairly through the "payroll tax" of EI.  Before you jump all over me- I also think the same of other industries that are seasonally structured to take advantage of EI.

True story- when I was posted to Chatham NB in the early 1990s, it was common knowledge that the lobstermen were making 60-80 thousand in a several week long season, then collecting pogey for the rest of the year.  Pogey that I as 2nd Lt who earned like $28K paid for but could not collect.  Fair, huh?

If you want to make EI a true insurance scheme, if you work in a high unemployment industry, you should have to high premiums, because you have a high risk of collecting.  I should pay low premiums because, in the military, I have a low risk of ever collecting EI.

Given the choice I can honestly say MOST people in my area of Newfoundland would be glad to have full time job's.However it's not the reality.

So Choose.  Go to Alberta.  Make a bag load of money.  Come home and either retire or invest.

The fact of the matter is people do have a choice, they would just rather not exercise it.  And I can understand that, too.  I would not want to leave a small, close knit community either.  But sometimes, you got to do things that are hard. It is the way the world is.

To be completely fair- there are an awful lot of people in Newfoundland moving to where the jobs are and making a decent living. Good on them.

I agree with people moving away to good jobs.
I left at 17.And will have spent more of my life else where in Canada by the time I can move back to retire.
Honestly I seen no future for myself there when I graduated.Did I want to leave?Not at all.The sad reality is that I will be putting my parents in the grave before I get to live remotely close to Newfoundland again.And some people decide that living that far away isn't worth it to them.That's the choices they make.

Many who are not employed in the fishing industry are now doing 3 weeks on 3 off work to Alberta.They fly the workforce out there and they work 3 weeks and get on the "fort Murray express"back to St.John's.

SeaKingTacco said:
Ok, so hire 60. OR 90.  The numbers are immaterial.  Maybe those fewer "seasonal" plant workers should get 80 or 90 grand for their 13 weeks of work- and no pogey.
Please tell me if you have ever seen a crab boat?You realise how many people it takes to offload this thing alone don't you?Not cleaning shipping,sorting etc?You need large amounts of people for short periods of time.The numbers are very relevant.Paying a guy 80,000 a year can motivate a guy,but it cant make him do the work of 200 per's.It's a business that has to make profit.Thus the communities dependance on this seasonal work.

Danny received over 70% of the Newfoundland vote.
He has mine.As I have seen FIRST HAND what he has done so far for my area.I see improvement and expect him to bring the province around.

Hopefully he will get it too a point where we are a "have" province.To me it seems he is on the right path.
And then pogey will be a thing of the past.

I'm going to tune out on this freq for fear of becoming "colourful"in language skills ,I got WORK tomorrow....hey I bet I can get top stamps this fall if I get out..SWEEET! ;D

cheers

The fact of the matter is people do have a choice, they would just rather not exercise it.  And I can understand that, too.  I would not want to leave a small, close knit community either.  But sometimes, you got to do things that are hard. It is the way the world is..... a hell of a lot do it. There are more of us 'Newfies' living outside the the Rock than on it. Though I've been gone for over 25 years, I get back to 'home' to visit once every year or so. Alot of my family and friends' family have transplanted and have gone west; not because they wanted to; others leave their families to work west - couple of months out / one month back not to get their 'stamps' but to avoid 'stamps' and welfare.

X-mo-1979 said:
I'm going to tune out on this freq for fear of becoming "colourful"in language skills ,I got WORK tomorrow....hey I bet I can get top stamps this fall if I get out..SWEEET! ;D

cheers

:rofl:

you could get out now and still get top poggie

Bigrex said:
In fact, the only premier who I haven't seen say anything bad is the one from Alberta, go figure, booming financially and still getting money from Ottawa hand over fist.

Alright, do tell. How much money is Alberta getting? As far as I know, my province isn't getting ANY sort of pay out.

Can you, or anyone else substantiate that??

In fact, the only premier who I haven't seen say anything bad is the one from Alberta, go figure, booming financially and still getting money from Ottawa hand over fist.

Can you even name our premier? 

Just to settle this myth, Alberta gets no money from Ottowa.  Go to the department of finance's website.  Thought we get transfers, we are in fact over $10 Billion each year of late in the hole after the vote buying program equalization contributions.  Danny Williams wants his cake and eat it too.  It's got to be one or the other, and the people of his province deserve to be off that archaic and crippling program.  I for one am sick and tired of paying high taxes for little return.  Even during the 80's with the recession, NEP, 17% interest rates, and everything else we still got nothing from the feds.  Equalization is a Liberal Party of Canada program designed to buy votes and perpetuate a patronage system that basically forces 6 out of 10 provinces to quash initiative and depend on handouts.   

We are screaming for workers here.  There's jobs at every conceivable place from Tim Hortons to Syncrude.  There's direct flights in and out of Ft. McMurray and Edmonton, and we're happy to have you if you want to what's right instead of watching Whiny Williams shaming everyone on The Rock   

I have to agree with Osotogari, I can't go two blocks out here in Calgary without seeing some sort of ad for employment in big bold neon letters.  In addition, the common consensus here is that we have usually received little from the Federal Government for anything other than Infrastructure (even then, Federal MP's have often scoffed at us for demanding money to fix potholes, when Calgary itself has population of a million built on an infrastructure for 600 000).  Not that I'd even complain about this really, anyone sporting those Alberta Separatist Party stickers looks about as silly someone demanding the Montreal Canadians relocate to Kansas City. 

Newfoundland seems to still be bitter about joining Canada, so it seems they elect people that express that sentiment more often than not... :-\

maybe many nflders are still smarting from being screwed over from the Churchill Project.

sgf said:
maybe many nflders are still smarting from being screwed over from the Churchill Project.

I'm beginning to see how you operate.

Moderator Warning

You, the "informed as the average member here" have been presented with actual "facts" and have yet to present a "factual-based" arguement in repsonse.

You are not presenting factual based arguements for any of your claims here on this site nor for your statements. When you are countered with facts ... you resort to posting another off-topic non-fact-based statement and not reposnding to the "facts" that you are presented with. You continue to attempt to stir pot based on your mythologicaly misguided "knowledge".

Word up: We call that trolling here. It's against forum policy.

Fair Warning: Quit the trolling, back up your statements and claims with actual "facts" instead of myths, or the warning system will quickly become applicable to yourself. That's not repressing your freedom of speech either -- that's telling you that it's high time you backed up your self-expressed knowledge and claims with "facts" not myths. It's exactly what we expect of every user on this site, not just yourself.

ArmyVern
The Milnet.ca Staff

Newfoundland seems to still be bitter about joining Canada, so it seems they elect people that express that sentiment more often than not...

I am proud to call myself A Canadian and will always consider myself a Canadian first & foremost. But recommend do some research on history of NL during and before Confederation; There were numerous 'referendums' on the question of Canada, Britian, self-government, the US (which Britian & Canada did not want to see a 51st state happen off the eastern coast). Joey finally got his (slight) marjory vote and here we are. And the rest is history.

Yeah, I agree we got screwed / screwed ourselves over Churchill - we made our bed, so we have to lay in it. That's why Danny doesn't want to it to happen again. Not bad for ( a well-off BUISENESS) man who doesn't take a salary as a premier....

I thought I might stir it up a little with that comment...but regardless, I don't think that Newfoundlanders dislike Canada anymore...or at least, as much as they might have before.  I think they are an important part of Canada, and have an interesting history to boot.  But I'm sure, through the referendums, the cajoling, and the final slim majority win, there is some resentment, especially now that there's resource loot to be had.

That being said, I am definitely not an SME on this.  I only know what limited research has told me, and you're right, I should probably look up some more on the subject of Newfoundland's inclusion into Canada.  I think that comment about Alberta getting transfer payments just had me a little irked is all...

No worries Delicron; nor do I pretend to be an expert on the subject; just what little I read / from there / listening to the stories of the old timers (most who have passed on now); one thing I like about this site - most of the time we all learn something new. Most NL'ers (that I know anyway) are proud to be a Canuck. I have a lot of relatives myself in Fort Mac and southern Alberta; most of my experience with Alberta has always been Wainwright; Suffield, and the 48 hour pass to Edmonton!  ;D

Delicron said:
I don't think that Newfoundlanders dislike Canada anymore...or at least, as much as they might have before. 
You are right with that. I am a Newfoundlander, but I am still a proud Canadian. But there are still those who prefere that Newfoundland should still be its own self governing nation, but I must admit, I do sometimes, but then I remind myself that I am a part of the best country in the world, and a Newfoundlander, so it's best of both worlds ;) ^-^

Mike Baker said:
You are right with that. I am a Newfoundlander, but I am still a proud Canadian. But there are still those who prefere that Newfoundland should still be its own self governing nation, but I must admit, I do sometimes, but then I remind myself that I am a part of the best country in the world, and a Newfoundlander, so it's best of both worlds ;) ^-^

It's true, there is no place I'd rather be then here on the rock, but I am also proud to be apart of the greatest country in the world, that represents all that is good.  :cdn: :salute:

Amen Mike. Though I've been 'officially' gone for over 25 years, I still consider the Rock as Home (though the weather can be trying at times  ;) ). Looking forward to hitting St. John's east (for 2 weeks May & June - sans the spouse and the spawn  :o  )

Oh, and I will be proud to serve my Country with the RNFLDR, and then in the Regular Force.

Back