• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Deutsches U-Boot Type VII C - Lots of pictures

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Okay I have a new project now. It's a German U-Boot VII 1:72 scale (From Revell).  I got a new compressor so I can get my air brush started up again. I can't wait. I just need to order in the photo etched set and I'm planing on scratch building the deck with wood. I"ll be sure to post some photographs up once I get the chance. From start to finish I"ll do. I might just add a diorama too. May be breaking some greenies off the Grand Banks? Ideas welcome on that part please.

RVG5045.jpg

Next project after that is a Flower Class Corvette.  Revell of course. ;D

Okay... I got the detail parts on order now. Just waiting for them. And I have a neat diorama set up for it. I'll take photos from start to finish and post them here.

Okay.. now I'm trying to figure out which U Boat marking should I do? I was more leaning towards U-552. Earlier model with the net cutter. Anyone other thoughts?

I also got the paint order now.. Schiffsbodenfarb III grau and  Hellgrau 50. It may take a bit due to it coming in from England.

Here is the size of the model. Not fully done. Just the hulls put together without glue, just to give the feel for it. It's pretty big model for me. Over 3 feet long.

HPIM2640.jpg

The box on the left is what I'm doing now. One on the right, corvette ship is what will be next after this project.

HPIM2641.jpg

Here's a close up on my little shop I just reopen. I have been away from the model building gig for a bit. So I'm rebuilding my tool collection and paints. Just give me sometime and funds. And don't let the 9D know.  ;D

HPIM2642.jpg

Not sure if this would be up your alley Schultz, but you could always Dremel a few pieces out of the hull on the Corvette and make the diorama one of the sinking of a Corvette. Of course that would require the ships layout and a good few pieces of what would be in the section of the boat where its coming apart to look outstanding. Not something I would have time to do... and considering ships do cost a good bit compared to other kits, unless you have money to feed your wood burning fire place, probably not something (unless youre totally into it) to do to a good kit.

Looking forward to seeing the completred version. Have you looked into the line of Vallejo paints, they are great to work with.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

Larry Strong said:
Looking forward to seeing the completred version. Have you looked into the line of Vallejo paints, they are great to work with.

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

Aren't these the ones that are pre-thin for airbrushing?

I'm trying my best to look for Anthracitgrau here in Canada. My head is hurting.  ;D

Anywho,
here's another shot. This is the lower part of the conning tower. I was able to sand the inside, so it's thinner now. (Gives depth) And then I drill each little hole out. (On both sides at that)
My camera isn't the best, but I tried. I"ll be progressing along soon. I just need my detail kit to come in now.

104.jpg

That's the easy part now.  ;)

Edit to spell.

Sgt Schultz 
    Here is a really interesting sites in regard to the history of German U-boats that it might help you to determine what markings to place on the boat .  Even gives the history of almost every you boat during the war
http://www.uboat.net/

Cheers Karl

Cool projects Schultz, can't wait to see how they develop.  It's quite fitting that you would build models of the Type VII C and Flower Class, one Type VII C boat U-94, was sunk by HMCS Snowberry's sister ship HMCS Oakville after it tried to attack a convoy in the Caribbean Sea.  Snowberry was part of that same convoy.  What you're doing is not only a great hobby it's also a great historical project, cheers.

Thanks Karl for the site. Every bit helps. I have been researching into this project for a bit now. I have decide to make the early version of U-552.

And Cameron, I was going to do the models each in different dioramas. The corvette, I was leaning towards HMCS Ville de Quebec markings. (On note, any members here on the current HMCS VDQ, PM me) As for a corvette reference, I just need to go to work to look at one. (HMCS Sackville)  ;)

Yesterday at the hobby shop I seen a WW1 German battle ship! I was so tempted. (Nerd alert) But my wife would of killed me. I'm still in the dog house from my last on-line order I made. I need a pay raise. ;D

Anyways guys,
I got to go for some PT.
I'll check back later.
Regards,
Schultz

Sgt Schultz

Hey no problems  should be interesting to see how your models turn out .  Please keep us posted on how they develop .  I used to due models when I was a kid had some good ones till the family cat decided to jump from the book shelve to where I kept the models .

karl28 said:
Sgt Schultz

Hey no problems  should be interesting to see how your models turn out .   Please keep us posted on how they develop .  I used to due models when I was a kid had some good ones till the family cat decided to jump from the book shelve to where I kept the models .
As samehere my friend. Grew up...stop making them. Now I just want to be a kid again.

I just need to step out and do one more photo of what I'm doing now. Final product will be sweet. Wait out folks.  ;D

Today I did the flood holes for the port side. It took awhile, but I got most of it.

Here are some shots. Not totally done it. I still need to "box" it in. So it gives the depth look.  ;D

Start
PortSideFloodHoles1Start.jpg

PortSideFloodHoles1Sideview.jpg

Sideview

PortSideFloodHoles1.jpg

Finish without the "box".

Regards,
Schultz

Good job man I can't wait to see the finished product it will look great .

[/quote]

Fantastic work "Sarge", you're one talented person !.

Among your tools of the trade do you have a Dremel hand drill w/flexible shaft w/burr's etc. and that great giant X'O Set. Why I ask, because its the only way I can think of doing those terrific drain holes.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on progress.

Cheers, ED

Great work!
A couple of tips from a long time modeller, as the project progresses there is always the temptation to rush thru the boring bits (every kit has boring bits) remember slower is faster. He who rushes has to go back and fix it! Plan your work and work your plan (self-explanatory) Finally the most important advise I could give any married man, and if you have been married more then 15 seconds you already know: Don’t let you or your hobby p*** off your wife!

Finally, if you are thinking of a diorama, remember the size. Where will it be displayed? How will it be presented? In a case, on a base?  What type of room will the display require? Who will be responsible for keeping it clean and dust free? (Gets back to not p***ing off the wife)

Anyway, just the ramblings from a fellow modeller. Keep up the good work and remember it’s supposed to be fun!

FastEddy said:

Fantastic work "Sarge", you're one talented person !.

Among your tools of the trade do you have a Dremel hand drill w/flexible shaft w/burr's etc. and that great giant X'O Set. Why I ask, because its the only way I can think of doing those terrific drain holes.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on progress.

Cheers, ED

I sure do use a dremel. Well, Canadian Tire special. I use it only for sanding the insides down. And I cut open the flood holes with a knife. One side (inc. bow & aft) takes about 4 hours.  ;)

Edit for Spelling

Back