• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Danny Williams lowers the Canadian Flag

As a Newfoundlander, comments like sheep and clown, are not called for.  I did not agree with Danny's ABC policy and I never let it sway my vote.

Harper's actions influenced my vote. The billions in payments he promised to NL during his campain. The promise of soldiers to Goose Bay. A Federal prison for NL. The mismanagement of the Fishery. The list goes on and on. What did our three Conservative members do for NL? Nothing.

Danny and Harper have already agreed to put all this behind them and start working together to better the country and province.

The province of NL is better of today than it was yesterday.

My shillings worth.

GAP said:
That's a valid point, and so was mine. Williams escalated the row way beyond what it needed to be, and from the federal perspective the precedent cannot go unanswered.....what do you suggest? Remember Williams decided to play with the people's of NFL as the stake....

Easy, no new federal money for the next couple of years. Some point in time however they BOTH have to act like adults and stop this BS. I wonder however if Williams never had the ABC campaign how would the seats be today?

Stoker said:
Easy, no new federal money for the next couple of years. Some point in time however they BOTH have to act like adults and stop this BS. I wonder however if Williams never had the ABC campaign how would the seats be today?

It would have been nice to find out... Provincial politicans should stay out of Federal election campaigns, and vice versa. Up until now that has mostly been the case, and those that put their toes in the water, got bitc*slapped for it.

GUNS said:
As a Newfoundlander, comments like sheep and clown, .

I don't think of the people of Newfoundland as sheep,......but only Mr. Williams was refered to as a clown [by me] and thats only because he is.

Stoker said:
So you would punish everyone in those areas because they made a bad choice? Some people did vote for Harper in the province . I don't like Danny Williams either but punishing decent hard working people is not the answer.

Punish hard working people?  No.  Close useless appendages that serve no military purpose.  The Air Force doesn't want either location.  The Army doesn't want soldiers where they're not readily accessible.  There's no god given right to stay in your home community and get a government job - even if the government doesn't need the job done.

dapaterson said:
Punish hard working people?  No.  Close useless appendages that serve no military purpose.  The Air Force doesn't want either location.  The Army doesn't want soldiers where they're not readily accessible.  There's no god given right to stay in your home community and get a government job - even if the government doesn't need the job done.

Ok, perhaps your right.  Close Gander and Goosebay, we obviously don't need these places, no use at all, waste of money.

Mind you, given the ability to restructure everything, I'd close Kingston as well, re-arrange the Regular Force infantry from three regiments of three battalions into four regiments of two (Hello, 1st and 2nd RHC in Gagetown), and increase the size of the navy (probably moving more to the left coast, though).  The dot COMs would be ransacked, and an organization similar to the old DCDS group would rise from their ashes...

But as of right now, I haven't received the letter offering me the job of restructuring things how I want them...  I blame Canada Post...

dapaterson said:
Mind you, given the ability to restructure everything, I'd close Kingston as well, re-arrange the Regular Force infantry from three regiments of three battalions into four regiments of two (Hello, 1st and 2nd RHC in Gagetown), and increase the size of the navy (probably moving more to the left coast, though).  The dot COMs would be ransacked, and an organization similar to the old DCDS group would rise from their ashes...

But as of right now, I haven't received the letter offering me the job of restructuring things how I want them...  I blame Canada Post...

- Right.  Five regiments of two bns each: Re-form 3 Bde (old loc was Gagetown in 1970.) and move it to Nfld with two 10/90 bns org the R Nfld R.  Employ the two year class B contracts that CMTC uses.  Form 4 Bde (old loc: Lahr) in Borden and do the same thing.

- Maybe we can then deploy Bde level HQs without robbing the rest of the Army.

What does having more regiments gives us, instead of having more administrative positions to fill to (I assume) the detriment of the operational positions?  We just merged 4 gun squadrons into 2 to reduce (amongs other factors) the amount of duplicated position that weren't really required to be duplicated.  What good would having 4 or 5 regiments instead of the current 3?

SupersonicMax said:
What does having more regiments gives us, instead of having more administrative positions to fill to (I assume) the detriment of the operational positions?  We just merged 4 gun squadrons into 2 to reduce (amongs other factors) the amount of duplicated position that weren't really required to be duplicated.  What good would having 4 or 5 regiments instead of the current 3?

- Because administrative and staff positions form the bulk of our deployments. 

Yes, but I'm sure you could use more operational positions.  You can always fill administrative position by operational position, but the opposite isn't always possible.  I'm sure you'll agree with me that having more operationally ready soldiers makes more sense than having more soldier filling administrative positions that aren't even required in the first place.

SupersonicMax said:
Yes, but I'm sure you could use more operational positions.  You can always fill administrative position by operational position, but the opposite isn't always possible.  I'm sure you'll agree with me that having more operationally ready soldiers makes more sense than having more soldier filling administrative positions that aren't even required in the first place.

- Agreed, that is why my cunning plan added up to ten bns instead of the present nine.  But at the moment we have three Bde HQs in Canada, one overseas and one training to go over seas.  Of those five Bde HQs, two are cobbled together and three are stripped building the other two.  So, if we need five, let's make five.

Nice discussion and all but,.......umm, Danny Williams?

My issues with Danny, and for the record while I’m a CFA I think 7 years on the rock, a member of 1 RNFLDR, and a graduate of MUN give me some say in this, are not the fact he is/was against Harper for slights real or imagined. What really bothers me is the allegations coming out of the Rock on how he may have abused his position as Premier in the ABC campaign.

I’ve heard reports of threats to individuals who were considering running for the CPC and/or working on CPC campaigns. Basically along the line of “you do this and that sweet Provincial Government contract that your father’s business needs to survive, well it’s gone.”

I’m sorry if crap like that is true, that’s right out of Robert Mugabe’s playbook.

Well here is hoping that now the election is over that both  Harper supporters and those who don't like the man can put there  differences aside and get working on the real issues that are affecting this country .

Danjanou said:
I’ve heard reports of threats to individuals who were considering running for the CPC and/or working on CPC campaigns. Basically along the line of “you do this and that sweet Provincial Government contract that your father’s business needs to survive, well it’s gone.”

I’m sorry if crap like that is true, that’s right out of Robert Mugabe’s playbook.

Actually, it sounds more like Joey Smallwood's playbook.  So this is nothing more than a return to traditional Newfie politics, just that the intended opponent is from away rather than homegrown.  Now if my grandfather was still alive, he'd be commenting about the time they almost hung "the little bastard" (the only time he ever swore was in reference to Smallwood).

Actually that sounds like a common thread throughout the Maritimes. Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard of this being done in Nova Scotia as well.

OldSolduer said:
Actually that sounds like a common thread throughout the Maritimes. Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard of this being done in Nova Scotia as well.

What's the common thread? Threatening your political opponents with financial retribution from the government (that may happen in all jurisdictions more often than you think) or attempting to lynch political candidates?  The later may have been an appropriate form of political expression in past days but now less direct action is preferred.

In the past year or two the government of PEI was taken to the supreme court over the unofficial policy of purging much of the public service every time the ruling party changed.

And provincial roads in Nova Scotia used to be an excellent predictor of the party of the local MPP - rough and bumpy, he was in the opposition.

Blackadder1916 said:
... or attempting to lynch political candidates?  The later may have been an appropriate form of political expression in past days but now less direct action is preferred.

- Ballots or bullets, the will of the people will triumph.

;D

Back