• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

COT from NWT to AVN, pay and rank question

melissa_jacobs

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, This is my first time posting on this site, but I have read all the forums that I could find about COTs. My situation seems to be a little different. I'm currently a QL4 qualified NWT, but I went through the NCSTTP program in St. John's and was promoted to acting lacking LS upon graduation. I am chronic sea sick, and am in the process of a COT to most likely AVN. Since this is a COT I was wondering if I would get to keep my rank, or would I be demoted and take the pay reduction. Time in is not a question, I have almost 6 years, but I don't have my QL5 equipment which is needed to be a full LS NWT.

Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

In other words you're a standard Cpl who doesn't receive spec pay?

I'd say you're not going to notice a difference whatsoever.  I've never heard of a Cpl going down to a Pte on OT before.

I just got out from a meeting with the PSO WRT spec pay.  Being a QL5 LCIS (I get spec pay) I want to remuster to NWT (also spec pay).  My incentive drops, so I'm down to a CPL-1, but pay stays the same (currently 5190ish for cpl-2 spec)  then I'm locked there, until I'm eligible to receive spec pay AND the pay is equivalent to what I currently receive.

In other words, if I remustered now, and it took 3 years to get QL5...I'd then be up to LS-4 (which is supposed to pay 4733/mth) but my 5190 is still higher... then BAM... now LS-4 SPEC is 5362.  So after 3 years, I finally get to see a raise.

Hopefully sea pay makes up for LDA, and I hope I dont go through all the  work of remustering just to discover I'm also chronic seasick :(

Good luck in AVN - most people I know in it are very happy with their jobs and postings.

bigabe said:
In other words you're a standard Cpl who doesn't receive spec pay?

I'd say you're not going to notice a difference whatsoever.  I've never heard of a Cpl going down to a Pte on OT before.

I just got out from a meeting with the PSO WRT spec pay.  Being a QL5 LCIS (I get spec pay) I want to remuster to NWT (also spec pay).  My incentive drops, so I'm down to a CPL-1, but pay stays the same (currently 5190ish for cpl-2 spec)  then I'm locked there, until I'm eligible to receive spec pay AND the pay is equivalent to what I currently receive.

In other words, if I remustered now, and it took 3 years to get QL5...I'd then be up to LS-4 (which is supposed to pay 4733/mth) but my 5190 is still higher... then BAM... now LS-4 SPEC is 5362.  So after 3 years, I finally get to see a raise.

Hopefully sea pay makes up for LDA, and I hope I dont go through all the  work of remustering just to discover I'm also chronic seasick :(

Good luck in AVN - most people I know in it are very happy with their jobs and postings.

I am quoting on this old forum just for hope of preventing the mis-information of others in this case.  I saw this post and kind of scratched my head.  Just reinforces what I always say, RMS Clerks don't try to be PSO's so perhaps in the same respect, PSO's should stop trying to be RMS Clerks!!!

Your incentive (IPC) is granted based on how long you have been in a rank, it doesn't matter two hoots if you remuster or not, if you are Cpl 4, you will always be Cpl 4, regardless of occupation changes...your IPC will NEVER  I repeat NEVER be decreased.

The only thing that changes depends on your type of Occupation Transfer that you do: Compulsory or Voluntary.

Compulsory: You have no say in the matter, the CF is mandating that you change occupation = you keep your current pay.

Voluntary: You have requested your occupation change for personal reasons, the CF has no reason to make you change occupations, you alone have decided to pursue a new trade = you revert to Cpl ____ Standard.  So if you are a MCpl or Sgt and remuster, you revert to Cpl Standard IPC 4.  If you are a Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2, you revert to Cpl Standard IPC 2.

Hope this clarifies and prevents future "mistakes".

Cheers!

Back