• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat vehicles on list

Spartan

Inactive
Reaction score
Combat vehicles on list
Announcement today: sources
By CP

OTTAWA -- Canada is buying 60 new combat vehicles to provide the battlefield gunfire once delivered by tanks, even though the army concluded five years ago that the armoured Stryker was a bad choice. Defence Minister John McCallum will announce the multi-million-dollar purchase today, sources said.

The Stryker is an eight-wheeled, 18-tonne, lightly armoured vehicle equipped with a 105-mm cannon. The United States is buying 2,100 of them in various variants from GM Defence in London, Ont., and General Dynamics Land Systems in Michigan.

The Americans named the vehicle after two of their Medal of Honour winners. It‘s not clear what the Canadian army will call it.

In 2000, the army essentially declared their Leopard I tanks to be obsolete, suggesting the day of the tank was over, for Canada, at least. The tank was to be replaced by a "modern. mobile, armoured, direct-fire support vehicle."

Hence the Stryker.

But a 1998 study by the Directorate of Operational Research used computer games to put an armoured combat vehicle like the Stryker through battle simulations. It was a disaster and the authors said it would be "morally and ethically" wrong to substitute it for a tank.

"The ACV (armoured combat vehicle) was unable to manoeuvre in the face of the enemy," the study said. "When it did so, it was destroyed."

The study recommended flatly that the vehicle not be used to replace tanks.

McCallum has promised to save money by getting rid of "Cold War relics," which most analysts take to mean tanks. He‘s said to be enthusiastic about the Stryker, said David Rudd of the Institute for Strategic Studies.

"Does the minister know that the vehicle‘s a turkey?" Rudd asked.

He said a study done for an American congressman found the Stryker had many problems. The recoil of the gun was too much for the chassis and it was underarmoured, among other things.

Rudd said the Canadian army hasn‘t thought things through.

"The thing is too heavily armed for peace support operations, but the army has put it through the computer simulations and found this thing will get killed in the first five minutes of any real combat."

---
My only question is this: Why do we insist on buying garbage?

Perhaps someone should put a bug in the ear of the defence critic in the oppostion party.

There‘s been no commitment to the Stryker by DND. All that has been announced today is the start of the procurement process for a mobile gun system. This means that any one of the eventual contenders in the procurement process could win the contract. The Stryker is not a necessary winner.

Its my understanding that the name Stryker denotes a group of vehicles, not any one in particular. From watching the announcement on CBC today I got the distinct impression that the gov‘t will be buying whatever mobile gun GM diseal puts out. there was somthing about going in with the American armies purchase which would help offset some of the cost.

These things should work well in the Gagetown training area in spring. Give the recovery vehicles a lot to do. 13tonne Bisons get stuck all the time in the soft ground. A 38tonne wheeled vehicle! :eek: Guess things have changed.

The veh does weight in at 38 tons. 18 tons is just the **** hull. Not the FCS, AMMO, CREW,KIT. This thing is crap. It cannot fire cross country.
More junk. :evil: :tank:

"It cannot fire across country?"

What the heck are you talking about??Of course it can.What do you mean Junk,so how long have you served with them?? Thought not...
The MGS is intended as a direct Fire Support vehicle not a tank I‘ll say it agin for the slow ones out there IT IS NOT A TANK,it is not meant to replace the tank..Tanks are gone.
I wish you armour types would shut the **** up and get on with it enough bitching already.Deal with it.

The Austrailians have pretty much transitioned to an all infantry army. I have heard that they were looking at doing the same thing as us, getting rid of the tank. Supposedly they did a study in regards to operations in which they would half to force entry to an objective. What they found is that when they included tanks, even being used in a roll similar to the infantry tank of the 1940‘s that they took a significantly smaller number of casulties with tank support than if they used any other method of providing direct fire support. Has anyone heard of or seen this study, as I‘ve only heard of it ancedotally.

Not to be nasty here, but as a Bud of mine once commented "Army vehicles ride on tracks, period".

I agree.

I also know that we will, as always, do the best with what we get, and will (as usual) do better with what we have than anyone else can.

One of the few good things about a professional, long term standing Army.

Cross country mobility? Wheels cannot do it. Sorry, but tracks go places wheels cannot. Can you do the job with a wheeled vehicle? Of course. Do tracks offer the crew commander more choices in tactical movement? Of course.

Will a direct fire vehicle with rotten armour and poor cross country mobility incur casualities? You bet.

The Battle Group survives solely because it is balanced. Tactics make up for uneven numbers on either side of the battle, the ground, and the weapons systems employed.

Our Leaders will develop tactics to deal with the shortcomings...but it won‘t be easy.

Y‘all be safe out there.

garry

The sad thing is that these decisions are made with ZERO consideration regarding tactics, doctrine, or long term planning. They are made for patronage, or to placate the few individuals that are pro-defense spending, and actually get heard, now and then. Maybe to try and save what little credibility the Canadian Government has with its Allies, these days. Like Garry said, you guys (not me anymore) will manage to make another silk purse (relatively speaking) out of yet another sow‘s ear. It‘s shameful. Canadian politicians are shameful, and have been as long as I‘ve been old enough to pay attention. They take some of the finest people in the country, and place them in a system fraught (sp?) with decay, attrition, and neglect. Then the troops take all that, and still end up as some of the best in the world... go figure. Maybe we just need to build a tank factory in a Liberal riding, then we‘ll be "in like Flint" :rolleyes:

MG34, that wouldn‘t be sour grapes on your part, would it? I mean, coming from a former mech infantryman now in a light infantry role because we ran out of IFVs and APCs? ;)

MG
Your a grunt, you fellas don‘t have a smick about vehs. The LAV 105 is not a tank yes. But it will not stay on target cross country. I saw it fire in Gagetown in 01. And we send troops, to train on it also at Ft Drum. It cannot fire going cross country. It cannot be loaded in a Herc with full kit,it took 3 HERCs to land one LAV. Look at it ,its the LAV hull. The Aussie lost 12 in IRAQ. They were the same but with the turreted 90mm.
We will remember its, not a Tank on an Assault, against tanks. IT is only a LAV with a 105. Look at every other country, They have Tanks. Maybe we should take away your taxis LAVIIIs. And make you guys walk. They could have bought the CD 2000. A light tracked TANK. That can be loaded into a Herc. The US has canceled 3 Bges worth, from the 7 ordered. BECAUSE THEY FAILED. The Armour corp is the CFE on Tanks, not the INF, not the ENGs, not the ARTY. Hiller a good friend of mine, upset most of us. He backed the buy. General Ross quit for that reason. It is just like in 93, the corp was told to buy a tank. It didn‘t fit the purpose so no tank was bought. The goverment was to buy M1s at one point, but the Libs got in. Once we buy this there is no DFS for the INF. Remember the Cougar, how that worked on a assault. Tanks take on tanks, DFV take on DFVs ie BRDM1s, AMX 90s, AMX 10 RCs. I have 24 yrs in the corp so I have been in the Ferret, Lynx, Cougar, Leo, Coyote. Each was designed for a purpose. NOT multi purpose.
So Shut the **** up and stick the what you do best walk. :evil: :tank:

I have to agree with Recce41 on this one. This is not a tank, and should not be replacing the Leo‘s. Look at how fast the Liberals can get this bought and paid for, when it reduces the ablity of CF to fight; but when it come it replacing the Sea King.. it can‘t make it‘s mind.

They will hurt the CF armoured corps. They don‘t want the Leo deployed, because its a tank. This dicission is all political Bs. Jean wanted it done before it leaves office. He doesn‘t like the Military and has done everything in his power in the last 10 years short of disbanding it.

Mr Martin, if you or supporters read this forum...cancel this deal!!!!

First off the Aussies use the Auslav which are a series of vehicles based on the Bison and LAV 25,there is no 90mm varient,the only 90mm armed vehicle the Aussies have used in recent years were the M113 FSV which were fitted with a saladin turret and a 90mm cannon.I have seen no reports of AUSLAVs being destroyed please quote your source.
As for the LAV 105 if you are so opposed why not get busy comming up with doctrine for it instead of pissing and moaning about it.
The infantry doesn‘t know squat about vehicles eh,seems to me our LAVIIIs are doing just fie both here at home and overseas on several missions.The armoured corps is in danger of being phased out which is too bad as tanks are a good asset to have but by all means they are not the be all end all on the battlefield,speaking of which when was the last battlefield our Leopards were deployed to?? Oh yeah never, with the current political scene in Canada our Army will never be involved in a shooting war so to the idiots in office it makes sense to scrap the tanks,heck the Leopard couldn‘t hold it‘s own anymore any way.With a new government maybe the whole program will be scrapped and we will get some real MBTs but until that happens the armoured Corps had best be able to make due with what it has or be pushed aside.
:rocket: :tank: :evil:

History time boys and girls...

In the mid to late ‘70‘s, Canada had (iirc) four Armoured Regiments. They all had Centurion Tanks, and they were falling apart. (ask me how I know :) ..)New tanks were desperatley neede, and when Trudeau was asked for a decision, he said to heck with tanks. After all things (chiefly NATO) were taken into consideration, an interim plan was adopted, that being buying a Regiment‘s worth of Leopards for deployment to Germany (NATO), and buying the Mowag Pirhana variant (now the Cougar) as a "Tank trainer" for the rest of the Corps. The Cougar was to have had no battle role, merely a means of maintaining crew skill until such time as an MBT could be procured for the rest of the Corps.

Go figure, the country went into a few years of recession, and new tanks were rarely mentioned.

After several years, the "tank trainer" was given a batle role as a "fire support vehicle" (gee, thanks). It was tried as a Recce vehicle, but failed miserably, primarily due to a lack of cross country mobility.

Years pass, and defence budgets shrink considerably as social programs flourish. "Peace dividends" from winning the cold war, I guess. Maintaining large standing army‘s is a costly business, and war seems a thing of the past as the lines delineating world ideologies become fuzzy.

Peacekeeping becomes the main occupation of Warriors, and with it a new requirement for force projection...or lack thereof. Speed and ease of maintenance become more important than armour protection and firepower. Even the world‘s last superpower is leaning towards a lighter, rapidly deployed force, and equips it‘s soldiers in that role.

We need direction from our Political masters. Really important here that we don‘t discuss policy in any way other than as taxpayers, as we do not make policy: we enforce it. If we keep trying to make sense of a situation that‘s untenable, we‘re going to divide and isolate ourselves. That way lies ruin.

I was a Tanker. I‘ve done Recce, been a fire suport guy, Tac Hel Observer, and done most anything else I had to do- but I was a Tanker. I was friends with, and deployed with Infanteers, Artillerymen, and all manner of support personnel (heck, I even made a few Air Force friends)...and we all worked well together as we had a common aim.

It hurts to see the Tank go. Heck, it hurt to see us lose 4 CMBG, let alone draw down to only 60,000 pers.

Change is inevitable, go with the flow.

Cheers- Garry Ex RCD

MG
The Aussie do have the LAV 90. It was one of the options that we looked at. It is part of their CAV Regts. Which are made up of a mixed Lav 25/Bison/Lav90s. The Armour corp will never fade. The Armour School is the CFE for mounted ops. As for doctrine. I at the Armour School which writes the doctrine. The Lav 105 has failed. As I said the US has concelled 3 BGES! The soldiers that went to Drum, saw it fail. The crew commander has to get out, to clear any miss fires, jams, or reload the coax. The old Leos could hold its own in a way. As a assault tank. It is faster than a M1, can cross most bridges the M1 cannot.
I have seen you grunts in action with the Lav. it is a laugh. I have seen more Lavs bumblin around. Why do the Lavs follow tanks. Because any faster than a walk a grunt gets lost. Why do Lavs go to a Zulu harbour during an attack? Because the IC gets out of the **** turret. You were given a turret to fight the **** thing.
Any monkey can carry a weapon. it must tell you something when every one does grunt **** on a JNC course. So think about it. Every country has tanks.

Is it just me or did anyone else catch the Liberal math involved in this one. We‘re replacing 100 plus Tanks with only 66 new vehicles.

Allowing for a couple tasked as spares and training vehicles what‘s that come out to, about 3 Sabre Squadrons or 1 Regiment tops.

Back