• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Combat Engineers

Alright! After reading through these forums, and reading this entire thread i'd like to thank everyone for being so helpful! i'd also like to give geo a shout out, he seems to be all over peoples questions with nothing but helpful information (Others also, but Geo was every second post lol!).

The official website doesnt really spell it out like you people, Great job it was a real eye opener. A tease to myself even.

I wish to run heavy equipment in the CF, I didnt see to much talk about being an operator here. Would this be the wrong career in the military if thats what I wanted to do?

The best to all of you, thanks again.

Been grounded.... 3rd surgery this year :(
10 days of house arrest & 6 weeks on crutches.....

to tears !!!  :(   :sniff:

I'm even bored of that pain medication they gave me...... :sigh:

Krautjr said:
I wish to run heavy equipment in the CF, I didn't see to much talk about being an operator here. Would this be the wrong career in the military if thats what I wanted to do?

Heavy Equipment Operators use to be its own trade as part of the Engineer Family. It has been recently combined and all are refer to as Combat Engineers 043. The Engineers offer lots of equipment course and it is a skill that is much needed and Operators deeply frequently. Unfortunately, there are too few of those types of Sappers.

There are lots of Equipment Operators on here that can give you more specific information if you need it. Good Luck.  :salute:

Like Chimo said Heavy Equipment Operators are too few. We can run anything from a bobcat/skid steer to a tracked excavator and everything in-between.

so from what i've read I am able to ask to be an operator but it all depends on whats needed most by my team. What i've heard thus far from here is that operators are somewhat in demand. My chances of getting what I want (in this case atleast) seem to be rather good.

Now im not sure if im going out of line by asking about travel in this thread, but if I am im sure somone will tell me if thats the case.

It would make sense to me that certain occupations in the CF would travel more then others. Im not tied down in any way here anymore. If a person is willing and able to travel, would that person be able to go over seas for extended periods, or more often? I think I read if you signed up for 3 years you would be overseas 3 months roughly (or was it 6 months?)

What im getting at is do combat engineers go over seas more often then usual? If not, if I showed I would like to, would I be able to?

(I know some of you are probablly reading this and wondering what the fubar is wrong with me, but these questions I wouldnt not trust a recruiter to answer honestly. I mean cmon. its his job to get you in...is it not?)

Thanks again for your time =)

If you become a Combat engineer you can expect, first and foremost, to be put into a field troop.
The heavy equipment is a specialty - a specialty you will be pointed to - as the need is seen & you are identified as a good candidate for the job.

WRT travel - Combat engineers have plenty of oportunities for travel.  But we don't try to kill the new guy in his 1st year either.  As things stand, Afghan missions are rotated thru 1 CMBG, 2 CMBG, 5 CMBG, and Atlantic (not a CMBG).  Figure it out for yourself, 6 month missions every two years for those that are employable and deployable, which is in theory - all of us, but in fact... probably 50% for a multitude of reasons.

Geo, that really depends on the unit, and timing, I guess.

Here in Tropical Petawawa, there are guys who've been here less than 4 months who are going to be punted out of the field Tp, and into Heavy Tp because they need people and are not getting many volunteers from the rest of us. A current deployment, with an upcoming deployment, and the winter running them ragged moving snow has created a 'perfect storm' for any sapper who wants to go heavy. The rest of the sappers just want to get their grubby paws on some bombs.  ;D

I remember, years ago, back in "tropical Petawawa, seeing lots of recent arrivals from CFSME being sent directly to Res Tp.

I am 16 and applied for reserves because im not old enough for regular force; however i will join regular force when i am 17 or 18. I am looking at Combat Engineer, Fire Fighter, Weapons Tech. and Traffic Technician. Combat Engineer sounds the most appealing to me and i think it is what i am going to go for. I am not in it for the pay but for the challenge and well come on... whats a more exciting career? My plan is to stay in for 20 years and i hope to live for those 20 years :).
If anyone has any opinions or info to share on some pros and cons of a combat engineer or why its a better choice for me then the others please let me know. I currently have a grade 10 education..if that matters.

Mike, this thread already has 10 pages of advice... most should be pertinent to your situation.

ALSO, as Michael has suggested, staying in school & obtaining your high school leaving certificate is a good idea.

(Also... it's now 25 years)

silentone said:
Is it true that Combat engineers can take infantry courses? I do understand that their secondary role is to act as infantry, thus my question. Thanks to any replies.
Yes, they can.

Hello, i've been trying to do some research on the course because i'm considering doing it this summer but the information that i've found is very limited and not very informative. My questions to people who have already done the course are: How hard is the course in comparison to BMQ/SQ? What specifically do you learn? How long is the course? What are the biggest tips you would give somone in preparation for the course? And anything else you can tell me about the course feel free to add.

Harder than BMQ/SQ.

You need to have upper body strength, as you will do lots of push-ups and heavy lifting.

The course consists of the following material (not all is applicable to the PRes.)

110. Participate in infantry operations.
111. Operate engineer tools.
112. Participate in troop level live demolition operation.
113. Participate as a member of an Explosive Ordnance Clearance (EOC) Team.
114. Participate in explosive breaching operations.
115. Participate in search operations.
116. Participate in Force Protection operations.
117. Participate in obstacle breaching and clearance operations.
118. Participate in engineer support assault crossing operations.
119. Participate in crossing site operations.
120. Participate in construction/teardown of support bridges.
121. Participate in live mine operations.
122. Participate in defensive operations.
123. Participate in maintenance of combat roads.
124. Participate in battle simulation operations.

That's some good info as I'm leaving for BMQ at the end of October and my MOC is combat engineer. thanks for the post! :)

On course right now :nod: Harder than bmq/sq for sure. There are nine mods that you go through, each two weeks long. The course is thus around 18 weeks. Be prepared to carry your ruck everywhere you go and the joy of shuffling.

Back