• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Classic Spider / Chase !!!

• Thread starter Thread starter E31
  • Start date Start date
E

E31

These guys are legends in the branch. With spider burning his eye brows off teaching how to light an heater, to Chase smashing a calculator during an MWD PC? any more out there.

Last time I saw Spider he was trying to stop smoking.  Spent all his time chewing a wad of Tim Hortons stir sticks held together by an elastic.  The top of his combat shirt pockets had never been cleaner.

Is this the same spider from 2CER? if so he was on my QL3 in 95-96.

The spider we are talking about was a WO in 92 when I worked for him at RV.
We had the first female sapper with us. A young troop from 6 Fd Engr Sqn. Poor Spider did not know what to call her so the dialog went something like this.

"Alllwright my sappers...and my sapperet this is what we are gonna do."

and of course

" I promiced each of your mommies that you would get your vegetables" as he piled scoop after scoop of mixed veg out of the hey box onto your melmac and being Spider there was always the cigarette ash garnish.

Good memories

How about Spider leaning up against the chalkboard and wiping it clean with his combat sweater, then turning around to see nothing on the board and blaming the students for screwing with him by erasing it!

E45

Chimo!

Chasse smashed the plastic brain in RAWA, we were on the same 6A. Classic Spider? Stirring up Ferric Chloride in a bucket for the old 600 GPH Erdlator in Area 2. It burned him (of course!) and turned his arm orange. Or Dropping the MGB into the gap on day at lunch. Of course all 1 CER had to walk by on the way to the messhall. Always talking about Justin his son. One of the great characters for sure!

Ah yes, Spider!   He may not have been a gem on the parade square, but I gotta say he was is a fine Fd Engr.   He was extremely knowledgeable about all things combat engineering and could write an excellent recce report, coffee stains excluded.

I hear he is down in St Thomas...

S6

It takes talent to teach an Advanced Water Supply course so that the troops understand it. He's a good guy. I forgot about that danged sweater! He also used to get tardy in the haircut dept. Bob Graham wouldn't even freak, he'd just send him off to the Canex to see Frank or Joey. His time in BRWR Tp was a little shakey though. I think he was a RAWA critter to the core. Definately not a parade ground soldier.

Chase is in Gagetown in the MDC cell at the CTC and Spider is in St Thomas with 31 CER(R) i had the pleasure of working for them both in meaford from 1995-2000

SprCForr said:
He also used to get tardy in the haircut dept.
That is being generous.  Reminded me of Cramer off of Seinfeld.

Alis one of the last in the can say he Served with 3 Fd.]
Thats where I come  from

The last time I met Mon Amie Al Chase was when in   Wack when he was a W.O. and at Main Gate when he lowering the flags at,the   Gate.
When I shouted out " Atention "
When he saw me and said "f   'k   you English Co# Suc@3R

We have a special Man with our Al.
:cdn: :salute:

I remember Al back in the day's of 3 Fld Sqn, just before they became regiments, he rode hi motorcycle in to the Jr Ranks mess. He wasn't allowed into the dance cause he was wearing blue jeans.... He turned his bike around and rode it up the stairs to the bar, had a beer, and then rode out......

Along with a few other stories from Eagle River Bridge, Germany etc.....

P.S. And spider was on my advanced field water supply course.....

Did Tex even crack a smirk over that stunt? He was probably the most wooden faced Bartender I've ever seen.

I don't believe that it was Tex at the bar then, as it was about 2030 hrs on a Friday night.....

There are many classic Chase stories,

Sitting in his barracks window shooting at OCdt's with his pellet pistol then while serving 14 days he had a great way of making the coffee for the MP's I won't go into great detail, suffice to say I never drank the coffee while I was reporting to the Guard shack while on CB.

Of course we were always getting into trouble for passing stuff to him while he was in the Guard house.

Great man the Al is... : ;)

I remember that - and there was the time he was one of the "terrorists" in one of those internal security exercises - interesting exercise.. staves broken, shields broken.... etc.. The only way I survived being the snatch party (me and Pop-eye Gregorish) that took him in was to offer him 20 bucks... and a case of two-four. The coffee.. I used to do that to the OC support sqn in 1981-82. Used to fix his desk too... Loved it when he said to me "good coffee Dunster!".. Got caught by the sqn sargeant-major preparing the coffee once..with the result that before i served the coffee, it had to go to him first - for the contribution.. then the other sargeants... not much coffee in the coffee after awhile. By the way, is the story true that Al Chase broke his leg in Germany in 1979, while trying to bite the tires on a passing bus?

JackD said:
I remember that - and there was the time he was one of the "terrorists" in one of those internal security exercises - interesting exercise.. staves broken, shields broken.... etc.. The only way I survived being the snatch party (me and Pop-eye Gregorish) that took him in was to offer him 20 bucks... and a case of two-four. The coffee.. I used to do that to the OC support sqn in 1981-82. Used to fix his desk too... Loved it when he said to me "good coffee Dunster!".. Got caught by the sqn sargeant-major preparing the coffee once..with the result that before i served the coffee, it had to go to him first - for the contribution.. then the other sargeants... not much coffee in the coffee after awhile. By the way, is the story true that Al Chase broke his leg in Germany in 1979, while trying to bite the tires on a passing bus?
I seem to remember the tire biting but unsure if he broke a leg, the only guy I remember with a broken leg was Podzorski (sic) on a ride at a beer fest. Al McLean was a little lax in his job of looking after Pod!

JackD said:
By the way, is the story true that Al Chase broke his leg in Germany in 1979, while trying to bite the tires on a passing bus?

The only time I remember Al having a broken leg was when he was hit by the car in Pet during the hockey nationals. And of course the care was a write off after it hit him......

Back