• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Mappy

Inactive
Reaction score
Some of you probably have seen this movie by now.

What are your views on this movie?  Is it a remake or another interpretation?  Gene Wilder vs. Johnny Depp?  Old Oompa Loompas vs. the new one?

I really liked this movie, and I like the 70's version as well.

"you smell like old people and soap, i like that"

never saw it, but im definitely interested...

I've ALWAYS loved Johnny Depp, right from his role in "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas". What a movie...

I absolutly loved this movie, Tim Burton always makes interesting films. It was very diffrent so its quite hard to compare I liked them both though. 

I thought the original Grandpa and Veruca Salt were better

I really liked Depps portayal of Wonka.  I laughed throughout the whole movie.

The Oompa Loompa songs were also well done. Danny Elfman rules (along with John Williams)

The movie was way too 'weird' for me. But I did think Johnny was hilarious in it.

Hah I love that part when the guy gives him his business card and Johnny tosses it behind his back

I love that part when the guy gives him his business card and Johnny tosses it behind his back

I've done that before, hehe!

I liked the crazy grandma.  "I love grapes!!!"

I also like the line: "everything here is eatable.  Im eatable!  But that my dear children is called cannabalism and is frowned upon by most societies"

and when he goes something like "Hello Sunshine, the world says hello"  but talks it out instead of singing it.  Kind of reminded me of that Simpsons episode when Burns was thought to be an alien and sang that song

I haven't watched it yet. I think I will have to make time and go see it.

I wasn't sure if I was going to see it at first because I am a HUGE fan of the original one. It is one of my fave movies. I was a little scared this one would ruin it. (because it is all "modernized") But from the sounds of it, it might actually be pretty good! Now I will have to go check it out. Johnny Depp is a great actor and I really enjoy his movies, so it should be good. I do think that I will probably like the original Grandpa Joe & Charlie better though. They fit the part perfectly.

Its a different movie than the original.  I was thinking the same way, because I loved the first one.  It would be different if they were doing a "remake" instead of a different interpretation.

I thought that the Depp version was a more 'fun' movie than the original.  However, in my mind the original had better casting and a better story.

So it is different than the original? Here I thought it was just a remake. Well that sounds better!

Ya I am a sucker for the first one. I bought it on DVD as soon as I saw it was available.  ;D

Just glad no one here said they thought Johnny was being MJ (stupid unoriginal movie critics, one says something stupid like that and they all chime in saying the same.).  I thought Depp was awesome,  I saw stuff that said he based part of it off of Marilyn Manson (the look maybe not the attitude), there were also rumours Manson wanted the part (now that would have been an interesting movie).  All in all a good movie, all the (bad) kids were perfectly irritating (particularly Violet the blonde girl).  I am going to see it on IMAX soon.

there were also rumours Manson wanted the part (now that would have been an interesting movie

I think I would have nightmares!

I agree with the MJ thing....Depps Wonka didnt really like kids all that much.  It was the look basically (which I didnt really see)

I thought it was a great movie. certainly not the origanal, but it's nice to see a new interpretatiosn. No real way to compare it. Gene Wilder was god becasue of the seriousness he added to the otherwise crazy factory, and Johnny Depp was good 'cause he's just so darn funny. The Ompa Loompas however... Defenatly enjoyed the originals. not so scarry. speaking of scarry, was ayone else weirded out by the Praying Mantess in the tunnel? any one?

Oh man gotta love the classics. Anyone going to go see Narnia? I know ill go see it.

I couldn't get over that house they lived in. :o Man, that thing was slanted every which way to Sunday, its amazing it could stand at all. Course going through the roof didn't help. ::)

However it was nice to see that no matter what conditions the family had to endure, they were there for each over. I told my son as we watched the movie to be happy for what we have, because unfortunately some people in the world do live like that.

The best part was when the Grumpy Grandfather was swearing at the T.V, and Charlie's ears were covered by his father. You could just imagine what old Gramps was saying. ;)

Very good movie and message. Never give up, keep hope alive, and things will work out in the end. :salute:

Back