• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFHA Residential Housing Unit (RHU)-old PMQ [MERGED]

SupersonicMax said:
Unless the market crashes like it did recently.

Not every place felt it.

Out west was hit rather hard, but out east it slowed down a bit and is now back on the rise.

Over the long term it is better to buy than rent.

But that is for another thread and not here.    ;)

Regards

A belated update for this thread:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/090930/canada/canada_manitoba300909_kapyong_decision_invalid

Kapyong transfer invalid, court rules

Wed Sep 30, 2:08 PM

WINNIPEG (CBC) - The transfer of a former military base in suburban Winnipeg to a Crown corporation for redevelopment and sale has been declared invalid, a Federal Court judge ruled Wednesday.

The 90-hectare parcel of land along Kenaston Boulevard, known as Kapyong Barracks, was the former site of 350 homes for soldiers and their families.

The base closed and has been vacant since 2004 when the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, relocated to CFB Shilo near Brandon, Man.

In a ruling made public Wednesday, Justice Douglas Campbell said the federal government didn't do enough consultation with First Nations groups over the future use of the land before transferring it to the Canada Lands Corp., which would redevelop and sell the land.

In his ruling, Campbell called Kapyong "prime land for commercial development."

Lawyers for the government argued they had no duty to consult with the First Nations groups when decisions about the future of Kapyong were made. The court disagreed.

"While the record discloses that some dialogue took place about the disposition of the Kapyong Barracks ... it also establishes that from the beginning to the end of the decision making with respect to the lands, it is clear that Canada had no intention to grant any meaningful consultation," Campbell said.

The decision marks a legal victory for a group of Manitoba First Nations communities that have been embroiled in a legal battle over the land.

Seven First Nations groups had argued the federal government should have used the property to settle outstanding land claims. They want the land to develop housing and native-owned enterprises.

Norman Boudreau, lawyer for the communities, said the ruling paves the way for the potential acquisition of some or all of the Kapyong land.

"What this says that Canada has to sit down with the First Nations, and consult with the First Nations as to what is it that they want to do with the property," Boudreau said.

Boudreau said the First Nations would be meeting internally to discuss their legal victory and then would likely instruct their lawyers to meet with federal lawyers to work out a plan for future steps.

Wednesday's court order also orders the government to pay the aboriginal groups' legal costs.

I've just joined this forum to find out more info on living on base, my fiance has recently joined the CF and is away at basic right now. We're planing to get married before moving to Gagetown and living on base while he completes his job specific training and if he has to stay there for whatever period of time. I've only read the first few pages of this feed but I'm starting to get a little concerned about making the choice to live on base.
Does anyone from that area recommend it or should I start looking into areas off base to live?

i just had a couple questions as to the pmqs in gagetown, i was wondering what are the chances of an me and my bofriend getting a two bedroom by march ? and how much a month it costs?

Hi CB,

I can't help you with the PMQ question but I can, and will, tell you that we at army.ca are a wee bit different than most internet forums.
If you can't be bothered to use proper spelling, capitalization, etc., than chances are that no one will take the time from their busy day to answer you.

Having said that, "Welcome to army.ca."
Bruce

You and your "bofriend" can Google "CFHA" to get the latest PMQ rates.

CB said:
i just had a couple questions as to the pmqs in gagetown, i was wondering what are the chances of an me and my bofriend getting a two bedroom by march ? and how much a month it costs?

If he is going there for course then probably won't get one.... if he is posted there (i.e. to one of the lodger units or the schools as staff) then he should of had a HHT trip by now........

I member living in the pmq's in Greenwood around 10 years ago and our house was so bad with mold that  they moved us into another q > they said ours was so bad that they were going to tear it down or cut it right out.... Then to find out days later they painted it and someone else was in it.. WITHIN A WEEK..

In relation to $1035/month for the renter of 3 BDRM Duplex in PMQ's...... Thats a decent price. Check out the cost to rent a 3 bedroom apartment in town, and you get no yard with them. I rent in the slums at $830/ month for 2 BDRM 900 sq ft. I worry about someone shanking me or stealing my car or breaking into my apartment daily. Cops are always here aswell as firetruck and ambulances. twice a week minimum. I currently applied for a PMQ and will gladly pay $1035 and get bonus yard, definately larger than 900 sq ft. and no worries about thugs. The only downfall to Kingston's PMQ's is the fact you have to go and buy all of your utilities. fridge, stove, washer, dryer, lawn mower. But I do look forward to them. now #20 on Priority list #2 but only really seen a few. Plus maybe I'll get one that is being updated.

I can't believe you're on a wait list, unless you're looking for a 4bdrm. I've seen a few empty PMQs, but maybe since they're not using Normandy Cres anymore, they've made demand outweigh supply.

I only pay 950$ with water surcharge, for a 3bdrm single house. Add on about $65 for gas and $70 for power, and its a pretty good deal. I was in the same boat you were, worrow, and have never regretted moving out of my Homestead apartment and into a PMQ.

I'm looking for 3 or 4, whichever comes first. But I am debating for semi or single house. Not much difference in price I don't think. New rates are better than last years as far as I see on paper. PuckChaser, did you get one of the new units they fixed up???  They said because of posting season thats why we have a wait. But I also told them I need 60 days notice so I can tell my landlord. Otherwise I pay a penalty. After actually going over my rent. I pay $830 + $160/month gas to commute + $50/month laundry + $40/month eating at work. Now brings me to $1080. So in actuality, you pay $5 more than me and have 1 extra room, a place to yourself with family I assume, a yard. Benefits just keep piling up for me.

Have you tought about buying?  For 1100$ a month, you can get a 200K mortgage.  There are some good houses in the KTown area for 200-250K.

Paying 1000$+ a month on rent is crazy in my mind... Especially in a PMQ.

Any of the houses around Kingston that are decent for about $220,000 are at least a 25-30 minute drive from the Base. Then you're paying $2500-3000 to the city every year for property tax and services that quite frankly suck. Added to that if something breaks while you're in the field, you best have a good repair guy lined up for 9er Domestic, whereas she can just call the CFHA Emergency line after hours and it gets fixed tout suite with no cost. 2 minutes to work, I get to shower at home, spend lunch at home with my fiancee and newborn, its win win.

I'm not sure if my PMQ was redone inside, its does have relatively new windows and siding and is pretty good at keeping heat in the winter. Hardwood floors downstairs were immaculate when I moved in, so there was at least some work done. I moved in March last year, so guess there wasn't a wait for me. Once they call you with available PMQs and you sign the offer, you can pick the move in date and they'll hold the PMQ.

Definately not capable of buying a house. There is alot more to buying than I am willing to do at this time, especially on a single income. I too look forward to being home for lunch with my wife and newborn. Besides being on base in the q's allows my wife and I to make more friends. People in my neighborhood are of how you say, questionable character. Also looking forward to less frustration in rush hour traffic commuting over the causeway or up 15. Especially with the horrible tractor trailer drivers lately shutting down west bound lanes, which I currently need when the causeway is backed up because most of downtown main core is closed. Also less listening to the elephants upstairs. I like PuckChasers view on houses. Less money to the city. Easier for my wife when I am gone if she is in Q's, I am on top of the list at our unit for tour as well, so she will appreciate it.

Renting: You throw your money away at CFHA.

Buying: You are putting your money into equity. 

Your choice.

Hard to buy a house when you don't have money for a down payment. Not to mention being financial responsible for anything that goes wrong. I would probably live in a PMQ for 1-2 years to save up a decent nest egg for a down payment and a reserve for house repairs.

SupersonicMax said:
Renting: You throw your money away at CFHA.

Buying: You are putting your money into equity. 

Your choice.

You're putting money into the bank's pockets, you mean. I'm not keen on spending money on interest for something I'll probably be moving out of in a few years, especially if I want to spend the time to make the house the way I want it. Yeah, you may be buying a little bit of equity, but when I'm renting I can put more of my income away for a down payment in the future when my posting situation is more predictable. You're forgetting that worrow has already been posted, and if he's outside that window for IRP to pay all the fees and costs of buying a home, he could be out quite a bit of expense from either his down payment or pocket.

PMQs:  Being ON base is really an advantage.  Really?!

I lived in KTown for 4 years.  I know what it's like.  Lot of people do the commute from the other side, heck, even Wolfe Island.  20 minutes ain't that bad.

Downpayment:  There are mortgages with 0$ down.  Granted they have a slightly higher interest rate, it's still not too bad.  These days, the interest rates are really not that bad..  Wait until August and we may see a different situation.  If you lock in an interest rate now, it's guaranteed for 120 days.  Come August, the hike in interest rates will drive the market down and as a buyer, you'll be in a far better position.  Right now, 100% of your housing budget goes down the drain.  At least with a mortgage, you are making some equity.  The earlier you buy, the earlier you'll be mortgage free.  Renting doesn't make sense financially in the long term for any renter.  You are paying someone else's mortgage.

Yes, owning a property comes with more responsabilities.  But guess what. That's life.

SupersonicMax said:
PMQs:  Being ON base is really an advantage.  Really?!

I lived in KTown for 4 years.  I know what it's like.  Lot of people do the commute from the other side, heck, even Wolfe Island.  20 minutes ain't that bad.

Downpayment:  There are mortgages with 0$ down.  Granted they have a slightly higher interest rate, it's still not too bad.  These days, the interest rates are really not that bad..  Wait until August and we may see a different situation.  If you lock in an interest rate now, it's guaranteed for 120 days.  Come August, the hike in interest rates will drive the market down and as a buyer, you'll be in a far better position.  Right now, 100% of your housing budget goes down the drain.  At least with a mortgage, you are making some equity.  The earlier you buy, the earlier you'll be mortgage free.  Renting doesn't make sense financially in the long term for any renter.  You are paying someone else's mortgage.

Yes, owning a property comes with more responsabilities.  But guess what. That's life.

Didn't CMHC kill $0 down mortgage insurance at the end of 2008?

Back