• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CFCWO on facebook?

ArmyVern said:
I should have snapped a pic of his (non-Canadian) capitol-city named licence plate for my crackbook album.

We have had this discussion already, about the amount of metadata that is encrypted into your digital photos.  It has been shown that with a little work by one person with the correct tools, easily available, that data can place the exact location of the photograph.  Think I'll revert back to 35mm and 106mm film.  ;D

PERSEC and OPSEC are fine words to throw out there, but the majority of Canadians, CF members included, have no real idea of what they are placing on the internet.  Few worry about their IP address being broadcast.  Many don't see any harm in posting personal data.  Few think that their computers can be hacked.  The "Tinfoil Hat" types may be more realistic than those who call them crackpots.

George Wallace said:
We have had this discussion already, about the amount of metadata that is encrypted into your digital photos.  It has been shown that with a little work by one person with the correct tools, easily available, that data can place the exact location of the photograph.  Think I'll revert back to 35mm and 106mm film.  ;D

PERSEC and OPSEC are fine words to throw out there, but the majority of Canadians, CF members included, have no real idea of what they are placing on the internet.  Few worry about their IP address being broadcast.  Many don't see any harm in posting personal data.  Few think that their computers can be hacked.  The "Tinfoil Hat" types may be more realistic than those who call them crackpots.

I'd never argue different, but your insinuance that a terrorist (hint: they ain't all Taliban either) would actually have to travel "to" Canada (& the logistics of such) to follow someone home from work is way off -- they are already here; in actuality (evidenced by the latest arrest), living within 10kms of military installations. Not very tough logistically now is it?

George Wallace said:
easily available, that data can place the exact location of the photograph.  Think I'll revert back to 35mm and 106mm film.  ;D

Then again, that is only if your camera / device is GPS enabled. None of mine are, so i dont worry about that.

PERSEC and OPSEC are fine words to throw out there,

They are not just thrown around by careless people. They are also thrown around by people who like absolutes and use those things to justify bogus direction and decisions.

There is nothing inherently wrong identifying yourself as a CF member, in social media or otherwise. The CF official website already identifies me as such, with several pictures and video, clearly shows what i do for a living and where to find me. The mandated sticker on my car identifies me as a CF member, the people at H&R block know i am a CF member, etc....

In the end, i dont see how this has anything to do with the thread subject. There was never any order saying " do not use facebook" so the CFCWO has one......BFD.

Back