• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Looking at Donkeys as Load Carriers in AFG

dapaterson said:
However, putting on my NDHQ hat, who will be responsible for this on a national level?  Obviously Chief of Military Personnel and ADM(HR-Civ) can't take it on; the surgeon general is for humans; CANOSCOM doesn't have any veterinarians... so obviously we'll have to stand up Canadian Donkey Command (or CAN-DO Com).  Another three star to command it; new bases and quarters; new badges and decorations... why, this could add many more years in Ottawa for poor staff officers scheduled to be posted out after 15 years in the NCR...

Obviously, it's time to recreate the Veterinary Corps

"Certainly, in no other period of the world's history, has so much been undertaken and performs, have such multitude of new and strange ideas, innovations and methods of defence and offence, crowded the old order from the sphere of man's endeavour in so remarkably a short space of time."

geo said:
Nope, no donkeys over here... but there are Goats, really big goats :baah:

"Training donkeys"?  Just like the AVGP Cougar was a "training tank".

I suppose it should also be noted that the lead proponent is an EME officer.  I guess he figures being a blacksmith will be easier.

GAP said:
Wearing wellingtons?

Yes you put thier hind legs in the wellies so the animal cannot run away.  Notice the kilt in my pic hehehehehehehehe

Canadian Forces Pack Animal Command (CFPANCOM)....

Pack Animal Command.gif

Never look a gift donkey in the mouth.

Given that we have only a few people that know anything about donkeys, is this feasible?

OldSolduer said:
Never look a gift donkey in the mouth.

Given that we have only a few people that know anything about donkeys, is this feasible?

The quote in the original article seems to indicate the "Ass Master' seems to think so.  ;D

There may be some in-country experience with ITA troops:
http://www.nato.int/isaf/docu/news/2008/03-march/080317a.html

Not to mention some of the same puns spiraling into a bashing of Sam Hughes from a while back here (any of the engineers who handled this donkey still in the system?):
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/72609.0;all

IN a related vein, it appears we're not the only ones seeking equine load bearing advice - from another forum this past summer:
http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9066&start=0

we can and do. We used them quite often in panjwaii west on 1-08

Will the ass qualification be stamped on your 404s or placed in the UER? :D

PhilB said:
We can and do. We used them quite often in panjwaii west on 1-08

Jokes notwithstanding, I'm curious - how much info are you comfortable sharing on these means re:  how you/the team managed the beasts?

EDIT - just found this in my surfing, from the  "Course Description" booklet (MS Word) at the  Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center (MCMWTC) web page:
....Animal Packers

This course is designed to aid Marines to become more effective in a mountainous environment utilizing alternative methods for transporting crew served weapons, ammunition, supplies, and wounded personnel to and from areas inaccessible to mechanized and air mobile transportation.

The course is designed for a minimum of 12 students and a maximum of 48. This course is conducted 8 times a year.  Course length is 10 days.

Students are taught the necessary skills to enable them to plan, organize, and conduct animal packing, and/or provide advice to senior commanders and staffs. The course subjects include introduction to animal packing, anatomy of pack animals, animal packing techniques, casualty evacuation techniques, animal first aid, and bivouac....

To be honest, it really depended on the donkey. Some were really easy, just pull them a little and they are off the the races. Others (we found males were harder to control) wouldn't go unless you basically beat the shit out of them. For the most part the ANA were easily able to control them for us, in conjunction with a couple guys who grew up around horses and donkeys, etc. To be honest, I was completely hopeless when it came to controlling them!

Sounds reasonably informal, then.  Did the donkeys "belong" to the ANA, or did someone in our system buy them?

Excuse the morbid curiosity, but I really AM intrigued by this....

Back