• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)

So what you are saying in fact is not that Military Experience could have helped your chances of a Policing Career, but your own immaturity while in the Military has damaged your chances of such a career.

Immaturity, alot of people end up regretting joining the forces, especially when some NCO's can only seem to talk about the good old days when they beat up recruits. No thanks, after seeing the type of BS that goes on, I'm doing the contract in full, hoping to get out once I'm done. I used to look forward to doing a full 25 to life career in the military, but not anymore.

Futuretrooper said:
It's not immaturity its a statement of fact, your not treated like an adult ever in the military.
bollocks. I've been responsible for millions of dollars of tax payer money, and far more importantly, men's lives.

The fact that YOU may not be treated like an adult is undoubtedly a direct result of the childishness you have displayed in this thread. I say again, get out. Not to improve your chances at a career in Law Enforcement, but because your attitude stinks.

The military's allright, for the most part the guys on my course are great but really in retrospect I would have picked a different path. As for my bitching, I've heard many more recruits and privates bitch more then me so I doubt I'm really all that bad.

Oh so you are still on course, and you have no exerience in military not on course.  Guess what, on your initial courses you are treated like a "ten year old" to use your term because you are NOT a trained soldier yet.  Once you are TRAINED, you MAY be treated as a peer by your fellow instructors/soldiers, so long as you have PROVEN yourself CAPABLE and COMPETENT in your choosen trade. RESPECT (on a personal level, not talking about rank here)is EARNED in the army. So once again, close your mouth, open your ears, quit your bitching and soldier on, because you are out of your lane, with regards to talking about mil experience and applying it to the police.

...and besides, I guess you think in law enforcement one gets hired and the next day you get your gun/asp/vest? ::)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...and besides, I guess you think in law enforcement one gets hired and the next day you get your gun/asp/vest? ::)

He's at the age, with the attitude, where us 'old soldiers' don't know sh**.  He has learned all he needs to know.  He has more modern an outlook on life.  He is young.  We are old.  He has a High School Education.  We don't go to High School (guess that Degree means nothing.).  Ah!  What do we know anyway?  How many Leadership Courses have we had?  How many have we taught on?  He has it all figured out.  He'll do it his way.  Any wagers?

Futuretrooper said:
Not really much of an option, since I doubt any police service wants to see a dishonurable discharge on my record. I was looking forward to a career in the military after BMQ, but then just started to think that being treated like a ten year old for the next ten years of my life. I'm just going to make the best of my time in, and then get out once my contract is done.
:rofl:....you are in for a BIG shock if you think you are treated as an adult when working in law enforcement...I am treated as more of a child in my job, than in the Army....if you doubt me, ask zipper or Bruce or noneck or blueline or blackhorse or anyone else. With all the silly rules and policies we must follow, I think I have more freedom in the military.

Back to your original question...Military experience helps a great deal with any occupation, not just law enforcement.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of "trooper" do you see yourself as in the "future" as per your screen name? 
You do realize that any police service you apply to will send an interviewer to speak to your previous supervisors and review your PER?  Perhaps a re-application of STFU and a new (if feigned) interest in your duties?
Then beat it, because it seems like there are lots of motivated young soldiers that would like your spot.
I can assure you that I would rather go through a door with a guy trained by the CF, than a greeter from WalMart.  Maybe that is just me, though.  ::)

George Wallace said:
He's at the age, with the attitude, where us 'old soldiers' don't know sh**.  He has learned all he needs to know.  He has more modern an outlook on life.  He is young.  We are old.  He has a High School Education.  We don't go to High School (guess that Degree means nothing.).  Ah!  What do we know anyway?  How many Leadership Courses have we had?  How many have we taught on?  He has it all figured out.  He'll do it his way.  Any wagers?

I told most of my sons, when they got to the "I know better than you" age, that they should then move out and come back in five years. At that point they would be amazed at how much I have learned in the time they were gone.  ;D

Just out of curiosity, what sort of "trooper" do you see yourself as in the "future" as per your screen name? 
You do realize that any police service you apply to will send an interviewer to speak to your previous supervisors and review your PER?  Perhaps a re-application of STFU and a new (if feigned) interest in your duties?
Then beat it, because it seems like there are lots of motivated young soldiers that would like your spot.
I can assure you that I would rather go through a door with a guy trained by the CF, than a greeter from WalMart.  Maybe that is just me, though.   

No, I still work hard at my job if its within reason, maybe they could say that I don't make my bed perfectly folded but I doubt any employer would really care.

I can assure you that I would rather go through a door with a guy trained by the CF, than a greeter from WalMart.

I found that I learned better skills that would help me in life from working at Safeway then I have so far in the military. Thats my own personal opinion.

or blueline

Actaully, alot of members on their said the military did very little in helping with joining a police service, and they told me to do post secondary as well as get on with VSU, I should have listened to their advice.

...and besides, I guess you think in law enforcement one gets hired and the next day you get your gun/asp/vest?

No, not really, I'd rather be in LE and haven't found the military to be that beneficial to myself or help me make myself a better person. All in all some people love being in the military, others don't, just because somebody doesn't enjoy it doesn't mean their a jerkoff or lazy, its simply that its not the life they expected. Some of the guys that I talked to that planned on making the military a career were extremely lazy. The military is a job, thats it, I haven't found my experience in the military much different from being on civie street other then obvious regulation, living conditions, etc. I've met great members of the CF, and members that shouldn't be allowed to even be near a rifle. Don't get me wrong, I will have some great memories from being in the CF, but I would rather be doing something else with my life.

I've met great NCO's that seemed to care about those below them, and I've met those that seemed to only get enjoyment out of being jerks to those below them. It all depends on the individual. I've found some NCO's were got to work with, others were extremely difficult, etc.

I'm going to make the best of my three years that I have left, and have some fun with it. I'm not gonna start being a lazy slob because I just decided that maybe I don't want to do a military career for the rest of my life.

GAP said:
I told most of my sons, when they got to the "I know better than you" age, that they should then move out and come back in five years. At that point they would be amazed at how much I have learned in the time they were gone.  ;D

Dad??   ;)

I've been trough that stag, then my old man gave me some old school sergeant-major in the face. Never doughted his intellect again   :blotto: ;D

FT, if you truly hate being in the army, put in you release now and do us all a favour, before you become yet another oxygen thief who simply joined the forces and stuck around simply for a paycheque. 

edit to add this
Futuretrooper said:
I've met great NCO's that seemed to care about those below them, and I've met those that seemed to only get enjoyment out of being jerks to those below them. It all depends on the individual. I've found some NCO's were got to work with, others were extremely difficult, etc.

Guess what buttercup, no matter where you work, you are going to have superiors that are great and some who are down right pricks, and if you believe that policing will be any different then you are very deluded indeed.  In fact given that police organizations have a paramilitary rank structure and have laws governing them that give those with rank the power to discipline persons for such "childish" things as not shaving, and being late, making your bed (like at Depot), it is my very strong belief that you would have serious problems working in a police service.

Futuretrooper said:
No, I still work hard at my job if its within reason, maybe they could say that I don't make my bed perfectly folded but I doubt any employer would really care.
An attitude like this "if its within reason" isn't going to get you very far in any job.  If you are not willing to put everything you have into what you are doing, an employer will not be willing to hire you.

Futuretrooper said:
I found that I learned better skills that would help me in life from working at Safeway then I have so far in the military. Thats my own personal opinion.
You really haven't learned much.  Perhaps you ought to lose the attitude above ("if its within reason") and start paying attention to your classes.  You are obviously missing a lot.

Futuretrooper said:
Actaully, alot of members on their said the military did very little in helping with joining a police service, and they told me to do post secondary as well as get on with VSU, I should have listened to their advice.
They're, their, or there.  Which one?  Obviously you won't make a good police officer; you can't fill out the forms/reports correctly.  You will most assuredly require post secondary schooling.  You should have paid more attention when you were in High School.

Futuretrooper said:
No, not really, I'd rather be in LE and haven't found the military to be that beneficial to myself or help me make myself a better person.
You aren't even a "One Year Veteran" yet.  What do you really know?

Well, you don't seem to have what it takes to be in the CF, from your rants here.  Guess you can do your time, get out and then some time in the distant future, realize exactly what you did learn.  'till then.

Wow, after saying I was going to do the best I could with my time remaining in my contract, an NCO tries to belittle it which is pretty typical.

Well, you don't seem to have what it takes to be in the CF, from your rants here.

Compared to what, even an NCO told me he liked his job because he didn't have to do much of anything during the day. It don't have what it takes to be in the CF eh, while I was in Borden their were guys that were caught drinking and driving, vandalized property, dealt drugs, were caught with drugs, had AWOL charges brought up against them, assault on police constables, etc. I guess they probably have what it takes compared to myself. I've worked as hard as I could, and when some NCO screws up, guess what usually happens, you take crap for some NCO's mistake that he's not willing to admit to.

I don't hate the military, I just would have preferred to take a different route, as do alot of people that have joined up. To say that because a person doesn't want to be in for 25 to life is a lazy slob, they just want to do something different with their lives.

You really haven't learned much.  Perhaps you ought to lose the attitude above ("if its within reason") and start paying attention to your classes.  You are obviously missing a lot.

What classes are you referring to?

Guess what buttercup, no matter where you work, you are going to have superiors that are great and some who are down right pricks, and if you believe that policing will be any different then you are very deluded indeed.  In fact given that police organizations have a paramilitary rank structure and have laws governing them that give those with rank the power to discipline persons for such "childish" things as not shaving, and being late, making your bed (like at Depot), it is my very strong belief that you would have serious problems working in a police service.

I know more members that want to stay in for life simply for the paycheque, its not just relegated to those that are thinking of getting out once finishing up their contract. I'm simply going to make the best of my next few years in the CF, I don't see how I'm being an oxygen thief when I'm actaully trying to work hard at my unit. I've never been late for timings, or making my bed, or shaving. I was able to do all those activities before being in the military just fine. As well I've been exposed to Edmonton Police Service, and I don't think I'd have much of a problem working in that type of an environment. As well I'm sure that members of a police service would see more problems in having members drinking and driving, committing assault, substance abuse, etc. and would have their priorities set straight. 

Read Carefully, I loved my time in the field during basic, as well as some of the friendships I have made during my time in the military. But in the long run I think that it would have been a better choice to do something else other then go regular force army. I haven't been able to see how my character has improved in any way from being in the military. I might choose to stay in with the reserves once I am done my contract, I'm not sure what life is like after training, only basing it upon what members have told me. I have been able to do some cool things while I've been in the military, as well as meet some good people, however I think its done nil in helping me with improving my character, self confidence, personal responsibility, etc. If anything that just reinforces it as I find that the attitude is if any member need help or has a problem then simply belittle them until they keep silent which is no way to run any organization of any kind, whether military or civilian.

An attitude like this "if its within reason" isn't going to get you very far in any job.  If you are not willing to put everything you have into what you are doing, an employer will not be willing to hire you.

No, if an employer does something that is beyond reason, atleast in civie street I simply tell them my concerns and if they disagree then I'll follow through with what they told me to do. I wouldn't do that in the military because I wouldn't want to get charged and get a pay deduction.

Sigs Guy said:
No, if an employer does something that is beyond reason, at least in civvie street I simply tell them my concerns and if they disagree then I'll follow through with what they told me to do. I wouldn't do that in the military because I wouldn't want to get charged and get a pay deduction.

Uh, I hate to be a buzz kill, but when you are in law enforcement, there are a heap of extra rules that apply to you and they may just seem unreasonable as well.  In Ontario, it is called the Police Services Act and it can be quite the fun governor.  You are not part of "civvy street". 
I also have a really hard time believing that the Sigs trade has nothing to offer  ???  Communications is such a huge industry, there has got to be some useful civilian application to the skills that you acquire in the trade? 
In any case, you obviously know more than the rest of us, so feel free to tell us to STFU, and we will withdraw from pestering you with half baked ideas.  No doubt you will breeze into your second interview, flash a dazzling smile, pop a Mentos tm into your mouth and leave the panel all smiling and nodding.  In all likelyhood you will be taken to stores right away to get your uniform, and then limo'ed to the nearest training academy for your basic constable course. 
Stick it to the man, brother!!  Let me know how it works out.  Remember, success is the best revenge, so when you get on, make sure you come back here and rub it in.  I for one will start now to acquire a taste for crow.

An important reason to be a good Soldier: If you plan to go into law enforcement, the agency does a background investigation as part of the hiring process. During the background, your references are contacted, as are former employers, etc. If you're not squared away, it will come out in the background.

Hey Sigs Guy, if you stay in Kingston after training and are posted to CFJSR be sure to stop and say hi to the GMT cell. With your obvious dislike of the CF coupled with a poor attitude I'm sure they would love to see you. Like others have said, if you haven't learned anything during your basic, then you ARE a waste of rations!

No, I try to have a positive attitude and have said that I'll make the best of my contract. I don't jump on to the bandwagon that the CF is perfect, because it isn't even close. As well I did learn quite abit from basic, but afterwards doing a few months at PRETC never really did much for me.

I also have a really hard time believing that the Sigs trade has nothing to offer    Communications is such a huge industry, there has got to be some useful civilian application to the skills that you acquire in the trade? 

I was told while I was here that Sig Ops don't get many job oppurtunities out in civie world, simply because nobody really needs somebody who knows to fill a AN/PRC-522. From what I've been told I can do some interesting jobs in HQ and Sigs when on deployment.

Uh, I hate to be a buzz kill, but when you are in law enforcement, there are a heap of extra rules that apply to you and they may just seem unreasonable as well.  In Ontario, it is called the Police Services Act and it can be quite the fun governor.  You are not part of "civvy street". 
I also have a really hard time believing that the Sigs trade has nothing to offer    Communications is such a huge industry, there has got to be some useful civilian application to the skills that you acquire in the trade? 
In any case, you obviously know more than the rest of us, so feel free to tell us to STFU, and we will withdraw from pestering you with half baked ideas.  No doubt you will breeze into your second interview, flash a dazzling smile, pop a Mentos tm into your mouth and leave the panel all smiling and nodding.  In all likelyhood you will be taken to stores right away to get your uniform, and then limo'ed to the nearest training academy for your basic constable course. 

Probably not, I'm sure from your tone that you loved your time in the military, but not everybody does. If somebody wants to do something else once their finished their contract it doesn't mean that their bags of trash. I don't know more then the rest of you, I've never said that, I personally don't "love" being in the military, as you all do, I would rather do something else in three years. I think its the same with alot of recruits, if you want to kick out all Pte's that want to get out once their contract is done, then write the CDS.

Back