• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Basic Parachutist - Q&A

it's mainly light battalions in the regular force that gets this course. mechanized don't see it that much.
in my company, I believe there's 5 guys qualified (including myself), and only one of them had actually served in the airborne.
I know light infantry have a good chunk of guys qualified (if I'm not mistaken, 80% of 3 VP is jump qualified)
Greg

I have heard that from a friend in 3VP also, apparently they are aiming at having 100% of 3VP para qualified ( just in case   ;)).

Part of the LI-SOC concept is for 100% para qualified.

Pre 9/11 when they Army was phasing the Light Inf out (yup you heard that correct) jumping had taken a back seat.

It is regaining ground and more positions are being offered to the Leg Battalions - IICR there are minumim positions dictaed for 1 and 2VP as well as 1 CER and 1 RCHA (to create an all arms cbt team - well no-one really cares about the Airborne Armoured idea...)

I remember when 1 VP would get 6+ courses a year, not many Cpl/Pte's who wanted it did not take it...  THEN

That is another one on the long list of words we are not allowed to say anymore without a good slap on the wrist. What is a LEG ...      oh you, you, you're good you! ;D :dontpanic: too funny.

A LEG is  ;D

Well you see son its like a CRAPHAT but different  ;).

Heck I live in a LEG Bn  :-[

That's MEAT BOMB to you LEGs! Get it right. Lawn dart, that one is so lame.   ;D ;D ;D

Sadly I am just a cherry jumper.

Had to put up with the Para Bty for 6 months before I got my course (that sucked...)

Every time I seem to get posted to a jump position I get in SH*T and it gets canned (yeah I get in trouble a bit... :-[)

MJP said:
Paratroopers that wear the white wings are not qualified anymore than a soldier with red wings (although one could argue they are much more experienced)...it only means that they currently occupy a jump position, had occupied a jump position for more than a year (with an ex jump IIRC) or that that they were part of the CAR.   Any basic Para qualified guy can occupy a jump spot.

Not that I'm attacking your post - because I think I understand your intent.

As far as actual courses like the Airborne Indoctrination Course - that went by the wayside as an actual qual - you are in fact correct.   However, I would argue that they are in fact more 'qualified' in reality.

They don't teach end/mid/center stick roll-ups, DZ drills, and occupation of a DZ RV on Basic Para course.   The Basic Parachutist isn't taught how to conduct Airborne ops like sieze and hold, area interdiction, airborne raids, etc...   The Basic Parachutist isn't taught the phases of an Airborne operation IIRC.   There are numerous non-standard load configurations that have to be mastered as a paratrooper.   I could go on but I think you understand that there is a quick and steep learning curve once the Basic Para is indoctrinated into his new role as a paratrooper.................

There is more to the job than the colour of the wings...............trust me!

I will edit to add that I apologise for the hijack but did not want any confusion about the difference.

I will also attempt to simplify in that as a Para Instructor at CPC your goal is to qualify a Basic Parachutist in the safe and efficient drills to get them into battle.  The chain of command in the Light Infantry Battalion, is responsible to teach the recently qualified parachutists the actual skills necessary to do the job as a designated parachutist - or paratrooper - once he hits the ground in his new role.

excoelis said:
They don't teach end/mid/center stick roll-ups, DZ drills, and occupation of a DZ RV on Basic Para course. The Basic Parachutist isn't taught how to conduct Airborne ops like sieze and hold, area interdiction, airborne raids, etc... The Basic Parachutist isn't taught the phases of an Airborne operation IIRC. There are numerous non-standard load configurations that have to be mastered as a paratrooper. I could go on but I think you understand that there is a quick and steep learning curve once the Basic Para is indoctrinated into his new role as a paratrooper.................

Honest question Ex-C.

Is this still "standard fare" in the jump companies?  Or, like the indoc, did it take a swan dive from the Army capabilites chart with the Airborne Regiment.

Not that I'm attacking your post - because I think I understand your intent.

No prob I rather have somone in the know answer correctly...

Infanteer said:
Honest question Ex-C.

Is this still "standard fare" in the jump companies?   Or, like the indoc, did it take a swan dive from the Army capabilites chart with the Airborne Regiment.

Honest answer:

Yes, it is just as important as it is still the primary role of the Parachute Companies.   I will add though that although just as important an indoctrination process, there just isn't time, money, or whatever to make it an official course.   It now falls on the chain of command to teach these skills within the Bn trng plan and is only as successful as the effort that is put forth.

In my opinion, the major difference after the demise of the Abn Regt was the scale of operations and the level of support to maintain a realistic and functional capability.

I would also add that the standards and professionalism at the coal face have not changed drastically from then to now.   But anyone with half a brain can reasonably surmise what our current capabilities are.........

I've been in the infantry res. for 2 years. My unit ran a recce course this year, weekend stuff, nothing to exciting... All the same I got on it fresh out of basic, I'm there with alot of experienced Cpls. The only reason I got on was because they said all the recce course guys (when it started) go to XXXX so I went to XXXX and got on the course.

I'm a private in the reserves, and I'm currently half way through my Recce Patrollman's course MOD 1, MOD2 next training year.

LoL I just showed up when the CSM said all the recce course meet over here...

Cote said:
I'm a private in the reserves, and I'm currently half way through my Recce Patrollman's course MOD 1, MOD2 next training year.

LoL I just showed up when the CSM said all the recce course meet over here...

Now, I'm currently in the process of joining the reg. force infantry so I really don't know much about the system and what sort of checks and/or balances that they have.  However, I would think that they would have a checklist of people who signed up prior, no?  Did they not take a head count and compare it to the number of people they were supposed to have?

Min PT standard for Basic Para is 7 chin ups, 20 pushups 1.5km run under 7 mins.  Most units however will have you prove you can do better before they send you on that course.  Here at 3RCR, last summer during the selection process for BPara, guys had to do a min of 10 chin ups, etc.

As for reg force, once you get to your unit you will fill out some paperwork (big surprise) and you will put down which courses you want to be course loaded on.  Chances are if your joining Infantry, you'll end up in 3RCR in the near future, due to a large loss of guys moving over to CSOR.  Suffice to say, courses like Basic Para and Recce are relatively easy to get loaded unto so long as you are fit, and you can demonstrate to your chain of command your not a bag of dirt like a good many others who've got to the unit and decided they just want to collect a pay check.  Also, like mentioned before if your in the right unit, IE Light Infantry you'll get preference over those from mechanized units.

Ariovistus said:
Min PT standard for Basic Para is 7 chin ups, 20 pushups 1.5km run under 7 mins.   Most units however will have you prove you can do better before they send you on that course.  Here at 3RCR, last summer during the selection process for BPara, guys had to do a min of 10 chin ups, etc.

No pushups on the para PT test, and you have to do 33 situps.

Are you sure you have done the test?

is it just me or do those numbers seem a little low?  not that i could breeze through it or anything, but i expected they would be higher.  although i would imagine that if you can only do the mins you would have a bit of trouble with the course.  not to mention by the end of it you could do much more.

Nope, those are the standards.

The "catch" is that they are enforced, no half-way chinups, the clock starts when you step off on the line, etc.

Keep in mind that it is very competitive in the units to get a spot on the course. If you only do the minimum, there will  be 25 guys in line ahead of you, at which point you may as well not even try, because there are rarely that many spots available, only the top 5-15 guys will go.

Back