• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDS General Eyre announces retirement

Not what I was expecting when I saw the headline
To clarify, I am not agreeing with Mr. Smol.

I’m pretty sure that LGens Bourgon and Carignan have an inkling of the issues that they would have to deal with if either of them become CDS. That shouldn’t mean that they aren’t considered because they’re women.

To clarify, I am not agreeing with Mr. Smol.

I’m pretty sure that LGens Bourgon and Carignan have an inkling of the issues that they would have to deal with if either of them become CDS. That shouldn’t mean that they aren’t considered because they’re women.
I didn’t read it that way. It was more that if a woman was selected that they would likely be just as doomed due to the mess that the CAF is currently— with higher expectations given to them.

I didn’t read it that way. It was more that if a woman was selected that they would likely be just as doomed due to the mess that the CAF is currently— with higher expectations given to them.
Kind of like the next PM, whomever she is? (Freeland=Campbell?)

I think Smol’s hypothesis is actually quite dismissive, even if not intentionally, of a suitably qualified woman. So “let some man sort it out, for which an endless series of men have been unable to do so to date, then let the woman come in to oversee Nirvana…” is the premise? Seriously? That’s even worse IMO than saying there are no women present who could address the challenges and be part of the solution now.

Don't worry, they are looking at forcing all military members back to the office 5 days a week, regardless of what your job is and how successful remote work is, so the next CDS can look forward to a lot of pissed off people that have arbitrarily lost a benefit because someone with a corner office wanted 'buzz'. Even when you are working somewhere that is a mil/civi mix, and the civis and contractors are all on some kind of hybrid remote work (or full remote).

So even if you are the only military person on the team, or there aren't enough desks now that GoC is downsizing the office footprint, that's apparently being seriously discussed. Nothing like a top down, arbitrary direction to people already at/near immediate annuity doing thankless work who are capable of managing their team's work arrangements to drive retention and workplace satisfaction.

Personally for some meetings I've been in on Teams being able to double face palm and swear to myself probably kept me from being charged. Not having an outlet in some of these particularly stupid meetings if I was in person (which can't do anyway because there is no travel budget) would be poor.

Nothing builds morale than dialing into Teams for a day sitting in an uncofortable cubicle with a 2 hour round trip at $1.75/liter plus parking.

I think Smol’s hypothesis is actually quite dismissive, even if not intentionally, of a suitably qualified woman. So “let some man sort it out, for which an endless series of men have been unable to do so to date, then let the woman come in to oversee Nirvana…” is the premise? Seriously? That’s even worse IMO than saying there are no women present who could address the challenges and be part of the solution now.
I think he’s right, but for some of the wrong reasons. I don’t see the next CDS as having a good (any) chance at success. I think anyone in that seat is screwed for multiple reasons, until the GoC and Canadian public have a reasonable understanding of the CAF.

I think the CAF has a number of capable female officers who could be CDS, eventually. I don’t know any of the current 2-3* GOFO’s to make an informed assessment on which would be best, but I don’t think they will be successful in Canada’s climate regardless of sex.

Don't worry, they are looking at forcing all military members back to the office 5 days a week, regardless of what your job is and how successful remote work is, so the next CDS can look forward to a lot of pissed off people that have arbitrarily lost a benefit because someone with a corner office wanted 'buzz'. Even when you are working somewhere that is a mil/civi mix, and the civis and contractors are all on some kind of hybrid remote work (or full remote).

So even if you are the only military person on the team, or there aren't enough desks now that GoC is downsizing the office footprint, that's apparently being seriously discussed. Nothing like a top down, arbitrary direction to people already at/near immediate annuity doing thankless work who are capable of managing their team's work arrangements to drive retention and workplace satisfaction.

Personally for some meetings I've been in on Teams being able to double face palm and swear to myself probably kept me from being charged. Not having an outlet in some of these particularly stupid meetings if I was in person (which can't do anyway because there is no travel budget) would be poor.

Nothing builds morale than dialing into Teams for a day sitting in an uncofortable cubicle with a 2 hour round trip at $1.75/liter plus parking.

Cringe Smile GIF

Sorry buddy, I love ya, but the rest of us have been back forever now...

Despite what many of the rank and file may think, many of the MGens and LGens are very astute political individuals. Which may be the reason why no announcement has been made, and why I have heard the CDS has rolled his date to the right. If I am one of the top female candidates for the post, do you want to accept the job, knowing that it may be limited to less 2 years, to potentially be replaced by a new governments choice?

From the current Gov't perspective, they would probably love to insist on having a female CDS, one who potentially sees the world they way they do, and then dare the potential new Gov't to be the ones to fire the CAF's first female CDS. Do any of the frontrunners want to be that pawn, regardless of gender?

Cringe Smile GIF

Sorry buddy, I love ya, but the rest of us have been back forever now...
Isn't that essentially "it sucked when I was an S3, so it will suck for you too"?

Ottawa is a different beast, so sometimes different solutions are ok.

So productivity should improve then? ;)

The Productivity Problem With Remote Work​

The debates about remote work, hybrid work and in-office work are (still) raging—and they mostly center around productivity, performance and employee motivation.

A quintessential new example of the discussion is the press generated when the CEO of Zoom ordered employees back to the office. What could be more telling than the leader of a company who was arguably one of the biggest benefactors of the remote work phenomenon wanting people back in the office?

There are certainly advantages to remote work and hybrid work as well—but a new study by Stanford University also points to problems. Namely that productivity drops with remote work. The data is compelling.

Perception is a problem, and the Stanford report found workers thought productivity was higher at home (about 7% higher) while managers thought it was lower (about 3.5% lower). And according to the Atlassian poll, 10% of people believe they will be viewed as less productive or lacking in commitment if they work from home.

The bottom line, regardless of perceptions: The Stanford analysis across multiple studies found a 10% to 20% reduction in productivity, depending on the nature of the research and its conditions.

I had the same reaction to that article.... I just smdh. And lots of people are ok with this.

Please to imagine copious laughter.

The "argument" raises the question of how the state of affairs can be measured each time another CDS appointment is due, in order to ensure the situation is sufficiently favourable to appoint a woman, until such time as a woman has held the appointment. "Congratulations. The situation was finally easy enough to appoint our first woman CDS."

I'm all ears to hear why a potential female CDS must be sheltered from difficulties affecting recruiting, procurement, training, and retention.

I expect the job of CDS sucks, has always sucked, and will always sucked. You’re the DM of a very expensive department, that does things Canadians mostly don’t like or at least don’t like to think about, and most of the time the value of your department isn’t obvious. When you ARE in the news there’s a scandal or some kids are dead in a place few care about or could locate on a map. When Canadians DO decide they need and want you, not enough of you can be there fast enough with the capabilities and authorities to solve the things inconveniencing their life. With rare exceptions you can’t make anyone happy.

I can think of few senior jobs in government more set up to be a whipping-boy (or girl) for the government executive.

Like a non-binary gender fluid grey-ace who is half-Palestinian, half-Jewish, and grew up on a First Nation reserve.

Unstoppable amounts of inclusion.
if they are actually best for the job and not just appointed due to politics then yes. The thing is none of that should be what the appointment is based on and is why everyone keeps running into issues. Instead of pushing the "female" part so much they should be pushing the qualification parts. No need to even mention the first female, big step for women, etc etc etc. Gen Soso has been selected due to outstanding work in the roles as blankety blank blank. Pushing all that stuff just makes it a political appointment and does them no favours as people will forever say they only got the job because of it.

Unfortunately, I don't see that changing so expect fully that it will remain a political hot bed with everyone appointed facing the scrutiny of are they actually qualified or was it because they fit the flavour of the day.

APS generates CAF experts in critical, niche areas on the basis of a posting message, perhaps a week long handover, and an unsorted PST full of unanswered emails.

Nothing quite like a newly posted hey you Captain sending an email to a long suffering yes sir Captain, on a first name basis "because they're the same rank", telling him that his (hey you's) file is obviously the priority of DND/CAF.

APS generates CAF experts in critical, niche areas on the basis of a posting message, perhaps a week long handover, and an unsorted PST full of unanswered emails.

Nothing quite like a newly posted hey you Captain sending an email to a long suffering yes sir Captain, on a first name basis "because they're the same rank", telling him that his (hey you's) file is obviously the priority of DND/CAF.
I don't entirely understand this post, and at the same time, I completely understand this post.

Back