• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDS General Eyre announces retirement

And for all that responsibility... the pay is pretty garbage
Even for all the positions below it the pay in on way matches the responsibility. May vary by trades, but I think in around 2 1/2 is sort of the sweet spot, for pay/responsibility, and past that it's a combination of the job and I think wanting to have an impact that drive wanting to climb the ranks. I'm sure for some there is also the general attraction to hitting the next milestone and the sense of power as well.

I'm an engineer type, so the only pro at this point to another promotion is being the same rank as James Bond, while the type of work being totally different from what I actually like, so the prospect of $400 extra a month doesn't really spark joy. I could see wanting to be ship CO or battalion commander etc being a career goal, but I don't have any left personally.

Even for all the positions below it the pay in on way matches the responsibility. May vary by trades, but I think in around 2 1/2 is sort of the sweet spot, for pay/responsibility, and past that it's a combination of the job and I think wanting to have an impact that drive wanting to climb the ranks. I'm sure for some there is also the general attraction to hitting the next milestone and the sense of power as well.

I'm an engineer type, so the only pro at this point to another promotion is being the same rank as James Bond, while the type of work being totally different from what I actually like, so the prospect of $400 extra a month doesn't really spark joy. I could see wanting to be ship CO or battalion commander etc being a career goal, but I don't have any left personally.

For comparison, the civilian executive responsible for CAF pension and a variety of other benefits (eg health and dental for dependents and retirees) has a pay band that covers senior Major to mid range Lieutenant Colonel (GSO).

In the last round of GiC pay increases, the current CDS got his pay moved up the be in a par with the DM of DND - my Google Fu for the OiC database is failing today, otherwise I'd share the link.

Last edited:
I don't know, there's another female, military adjacent, who has done a lot of outreach to the junior ranks and has been in the news this week...
Don't think her outreach activities are necessarily limited to junior ranks. Like any small business operator, she can choose who to accept as clients, as long as her choices are human rights compliant. She couldn't be blamed for discriminating against the Command Team at ASU Kingston, based on rank and position, which are not prohibited grounds.

Don't think her outreach activities are necessarily limited to junior ranks. Like any small business operator, she can choose who to accept as clients, as long as her choices are human rights compliant. She couldn't be blamed for discriminating against the Command Team at ASU Kingston, based on rank and position, which are not prohibited grounds.
At least one news story reported that her outreach to date has been to officers at the rank of Major and below, and NCMs at the rank of MWO and below, and that she was looking to broaden her engagements to CWOs and LCols.

At least one news story reported that her outreach to date has been to officers at the rank of Major and below, and NCMs at the rank of MWO and below, and that she was looking to broaden her engagements to CWOs and LCols.
That's good. From a mental health perspective, LCols and CWOs are generally pretty stressed.

Seriously, though, she's not a CAF member, probably not CBC and may not pass a background check.

Does that include men with uterus’s? I can’t keep up
During a CPCC town hall I learned "women are different then men, and have different health requirements". I'm not sure the CAF needs that kind of misinformation :unsure:
Q: does the CPCC breakdown by gender, colour, orientation, favorite sports team, most hated colour and so forth?? we have several support networks, but as far as I can tell they have yet to fall under a central command structure.......

During a CPCC town hall I learned "women are different then men, and have different health requirements". I'm not sure the CAF needs that kind of misinformation :unsure:
Now who said this? Did they grow up on the Stupid Farm? I thought everyone would have known this....

Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

Or the VCDS, LGen Allen. Despite that they are both very good GOs, both would fit the PM's need to be seen as "progressive".
There are three female LGens: Allen (CELE), Carignan (Engr) and Bourgon (Pilot). I used to indirectly work for then MGen Bourgon and had some dealings with her. She is very much an ops and pers driven commander. I don't know much about the other two except for what I've read. I'm hoping for Bourgon.

There are three female LGens: Allen (CELE), Carignan (Engr) and Bourgon (Pilot). I used to indirectly work for then MGen Bourgon and had some dealings with her. She is very much an ops and pers driven commander. I don't know much about the other two except for what I've read. I'm hoping for Bourgon.
LGen Bourgon has very solid operational and institutional bona fides.

Of the generals mentioned, IMO she would be the best candidate for the CDS role.

power is the payment.
Sorry what?

Near as I can tell from your posting history you are an LEO who may be CAF adjacent, or the other way around.

Do you have much experience with high level responsibility and authority? Or met anyone who has?

On what do you base that assessment? That all people are motivated by power? And not be a desire to do good? Or be good?

What motivates you to do whatever it is that you do?

Stay tuned for my upcoming article in the Canadian Military Journal.

Chess sets in the Mess; harmless game or patriarchy microaggression pushing an over representation of male-dominated pieces where violence is the only available means to winning.

golf clap GIF

Sorry what?

Near as I can tell from your posting history you are an LEO who may be CAF adjacent, or the other way around.

Do you have much experience with high level responsibility and authority? Or met anyone who has?

On what do you base that assessment? That all people are motivated by power? And not be a desire to do good? Or be good?

What motivates you to do whatever it is that you do?
uhm. can you hone this down to a single question as opposed to an interrogation?

Back