• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cdn. Forces to accelerate enlistment of recruits

big bad john

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060815/cdn_forces_060815/20060815?hub=Canada

Cdn. Forces to accelerate enlistment of recruits
Updated Tue. Aug. 15 2006 5:06 PM ET

Canadian Press

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- Enlistment of recruits to the Canadian military will be accelerated this fall in a sweeping effort to boost its ranks, Canada's top soldier said Tuesday.

By Oct. 1, the Defence Department will aim to have 30 per cent of recruits enrolled within a week, and 50 per cent more enlisted within a month.

"We've thrown, if you will, a transformational grenade in the middle of our recruiting process,'' Hillier said after giving a speech at the annual Canadian Bar Association conference.

"(In) a 15-minute conversational interview, you can pretty much make a judgment whether this is a winner _ a swimmer or a non-swimmer.''

Recruitment and retention has been an ongoing problem for the Canadian military. In May, the auditor general reported the military had been finding it difficult to meet the Conservative government's ambitious plan to add 13,000 personnel.

Sheila Fraser also warned of a recruiting crunch that loomed ahead as thousands of people who enlisted in the 1980s prepare to retire.

Several major factors, including a shortage of military doctors qualified to approve medical tests and a lack of training instructors, left the recruitment process "in shambles,'' said Alain Pellerin, executive director of the Conference of Defence Associations.

"The system of recruiting and training was broken, and I think what the chief is trying to do now is to address that as a priority,'' said Pellerin, a retired colonel.

But speeding up recruitment won't instantly reverse years of staff and resource cutbacks within the Canadian Forces, he said.

"It's like a big ship that once you decide to change course, it takes a long time to change course,'' he said.

Hillier acknowledged that qualified recruits were choosing other professions over the Forces because of a lengthy application process.

"Medicals, security clearances, fitness tests and a variety of things like that were taking months and months and months,'' he said. "As a result, we were losing good kids.''

Hillier, in his first public remarks since the bodies of four Canadians killed on Aug. 3 in Afghanistan were returned home, also said the recent rash of casualties has been "beyond difficult'' for troops based in the war-torn country and their relatives.

"I don't think tough quite describes it,'' he said in his speech.

"Tough is when you lose one soldier. When you lose the number that we've lost over these 10, 12 days here, that goes beyond that difficulty.''

Seven Canadians have died in Afghanistan this month, five in attacks from the Taliban.

Hillier, who attended the repatriation Monday night of a military medic at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario, said the knowledge that the victims died helping rebuild a ravaged country does little to console their mourning families.

"All of that, when you meet grieving parents or a young widow with young children, is actually not a great deal of comfort when you're talking to them,'' he said.

"But you know what? I go to Trenton to show my respect and show my gratitude to those great young soldiers and their families, maybe trying to help inspire the families to get through the toughest days of their lives. And you know something? I always leave Trenton inspired by them.''

Cpl. Andrew Eykelenboom, 23, was killed Friday when a suicide bomber plowed an explosives-laden pickup truck into a NATO convoy in southern Afghanistan. He is the first Canadian military medic killed in action since the Korean War.

Relatives and friends gathered Tuesday in Sherwood Park, Alta., at a funeral for Cpl. Bryce Keller, who was killed along with three other Canadian soldiers on Aug. 3 during a battle with Taliban fighters.

Twenty-six Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died in Afghanistan since the Forces were deployed there in 2002.

CDS told CFRC to speed up enlistment. In a nutshell " a 15 minute interview will determind if you get in or not. CDS wants 30% increase in enrollments to happen within a week of applying.

Good to hear that the Brass want to sharpen up the recruiting process a bit.
I'm not an expert on this matter... or any matter military. But, is the recruiting process in dire need of an overhaul?
Either way, can't be a bad thing to have a recruiting process that is quick, effective, and efficient.
Am I out of my lane? Call 1-800...    I mean, honk at me.

More indepth here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48981/post-428814/topicseen.html#new

Rice, according to the ombudsmans report and many recruits, it does need an overhaul.

I've also heard the same thing but I never had an issue with the present recruting process. Or maybe I was just one of the lucky ones...

I am certainly glad our CDS has ambitious objectives. However, at what cost are we going to fulfill his intention?

big bad john said:
By Oct. 1, the Defence Department will aim to have 30 per cent of recruits enrolled within a week, and 50 per cent more enlisted within a month.

Would have been nice if it only took that long when I applied. 1 week, jeez. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Maybe a couple of months for the new system to be devised and implemented. I wonder how they are going to handle the "reliability status" checks. Those probably take a week alone. They could robably put the combat arms through In a  week, but the more sensitive stuff, like comms research, or Int. Op. will take the full month. I may not know what i am talking about though..... ignore me if I'm outta my lane.

As I type the CDS' voice is on the radio talking about the 30%.  I am glad to see such a revolutionary shakeup, and hope it pays dividends.  By fast tracking those who can be speedily enrolled, it allows additional time to bring in those whose processes are more complicated (as mentioned by techie).  The bottle neck will come in trades training.  Basic can be done on any base, by any qualified NCOs, but some trades courses are quite technical in nature.  When I enrolled it was three months Cornwallis, three months Battle School, and away you go lad. This works for some trades, but giving birth to some technicians trades takes as long an elephant....

Lets be careful of what we wish for.  Enrolling applicants faster is certainly a very good thing but what do you do with them when you do?  More people sitting on PAT in Borden while the pitiful training system attempts to catch up or more people sitting at home on LWOP extending beyond three months while they wait for a BMQ?  Shortening processing times is only the beginning not the fix it all up solution. Cheers.

Is there a chance that a good portion of the returning rotation going to be earmarked for training? Is it feasible?

Great.    ::)

We already get in lots of troops who can't soldier if their lives depend on it because the screening process is already letting them through.

You all know the ones I'm talking about, every unit has at least one if not more.

Some of the symptoms:

- Constant supervision, always late or AWOL, can't be left to complete even the simplest of tasks, dress and deportment... the list goes on and on.

- Wanna go on a tour? They're the first ones to put their hands....only to be coddled all the way through it, then nearing the end they pull the "Personal problem" card.      ::)

- Go on exercise and within 24 hours they have some sort of "problem" and have to be taken out of the field.

Then they go into a PAT platoon only to become bitter and mouthy even before they begin to serve in an operational unit....thereby yet another problem to sort out for the guys at the pointy end.

Hopefully the training standards will be allowed to be tighter and route these "wastes of rations" out before they hit the units.

I've had it with the whole lot of them. Not willing to put forth the effort?

Buh bye....and don't let the door hit yer arse on the way out or you'll be shining the kick plate before you clear.

/rant

Regards

kincanucks said:
Lets be careful of what we wish for.  Enrolling applicants faster is certainly a very good thing but what do you do with them when you do?  More people sitting on PAT in Borden while the pitiful training system attempts to catch up or more people sitting at home on LWOP extending beyond three months while they wait for a BMQ?  Shortening processing times is only the beginning not the fix it all up solution. Cheers.

+1

This is a challenge which requires good management.

The right number of properly trained/qualified people need to be in place, ready to start instructing, administering, supporting, directing, etc on the day before the first new recruit steps off the train.  (Do they still come by train?  I guess not.)

This will be an NCO intensive process and as paracowboy noted elsewhere, a few days back, our NCO cloning machine is N/S.

It will also, likely, be an army heavy programme because I believe the army needs the lion’s share of the new people.

This may well mean that we will have fewer army units ready to do anything except go to and from Afghanistan for the next few years.

Finally, we need a cadre of leaders in units to receive and integrate the new people.  Think of LOB people a half century ago.

The first step is to work on retaining the good people we already have.  Why are so many good people leaving?

big bad john said:
"We've thrown, if you will, a transformational grenade in the middle of our recruiting process,'' Hillier said
Has this same "transformational grenade" been tossed into the trg system or is it already good-to-go? (I'd hate to think all these new recruits will sit in PAT platoons awaiting 3's courses at the various schools)

I am currently in the process of (re)joining the Reserves after a long lay off. The process of rejoining has revealed some of the obvious problems with the current system. I started applying in July. I am being tested in September. (And that is considered quick.)  I chose the quick route of asking not to be credited for any previous training since calling up the old records can take up to 6 months. (My recruiter told me he has one person who has been waiting for a year for their records)

Some of the silly things that have happened are: I must show proof of completion of high school; despite the fact that I have submitted my proof of graduation from a Canadian University.  I must also redo the aptitude test (even though I passed it once, and again those records should be on file). I don’t mind redoing all my course work. It has been many years since I wore a uniform and I want to refresh my skills, but there is no valid reason that I can think of to justify some of the requirements being asked of me.
-All of the recruiters I have spoken with are frustrated with the process and have been great to work with. They have been a real credit to their jobs.-

I work for the Alberta Government, so I know how bureaucracies work. There is a real need for a proper paper path. However, there must be some common sense applied to these things. I should have been able to (re)enrol in the reserves by: 1. Passing the medical and physical requirements of the Military. 2. Provide proof of my current level of education. 3. Pass any criminal checks and personal interviews required by DND.

There is no reason all of this could not be completed within 30 days. So when Gen. Hillier says that things can be done quicker I think there is a strong case to be made.

I think the biggest challenge in all of this is getting good quality instructors to teach the wave of new recruits. The Non Commissioned Members are the backbone of the Canadian Military; I hope there are enough good ones left to properly train the Armed Forces. I hope the Afghanistan Vets can be involved in the process of revitalizing of the Canadian Army.

Cardstonkid said:
I hope the Afghanistan Vets can be involved in the process of revitalizing of the Canadian Army.

You can't take all the experience out of the units. If they do that you have no knowledge base to bring new recruits up to par with how units operate.

It'll be a bit to do but if it's put into effect properly and not in a knee jerk reaction, it should be do-able.

It's going to be a bit of time before the big green machine gets up to speed and the program is running smoothly methinks.

Kincanucks can elaborate more than I can. He is the SME when it comes to recruiting on this site.

Regards

Edward Campbell said:
The first step is to work on retaining the good people we already have.  Why are so many good people leaving?

Could it be this new "Plug 'N Play" system and then added on to it the Fleet Management System .............. When some idiotone re-invented the wheel in the Army, he, or they, broke everything that worked and left a shortage of personnel with an even greater shortage of equipment. 

"If the boys don't have the toys to play with, they will go elsewhere."

George Wallace said:
When some idiotone re-invented the wheel in the Army, he, or they, broke everything that worked and left a shortage of personnel with an even greater shortage of equipment.

Well, do you mean Mr. Trudeau and Liberal descendants with his/their Big Scissor? The cuts screwed more than it appeared to be...

MdB said:
Well, do you mean Mr. Trudeau and Liberal descendants with his/their Big Scissor? The cuts screwed more than it appeared to be...
The cutting hasn't stopped with the Cretin and Martin regimes either......the Army in Transition, was mostly the 'Death by a thousand cuts'.

Back