• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBSA arming

"I can see Blackhorse 7's idea being feasible, using Coyotes with a surv package, but not one crewman would have any weapons. ..."

- Then it would not happen.  The crews would be armed, or not go.

Tom

Hello, I just signed up here, so give me a little time to get into the groove of things. I believe that our border guards do need to be armed, but only after some serious attention is drawn towards training. Some of the current employees would probably pass a firearms safety, and proficiency course. Some, I believe, would not. I am not suggesting a major overhaul of this system, but a review of how things have (and have not) been done. I mean, if conservation officers, who appear to be as, if not better, equipped and trained as the RCMP, then I do believe a lit time invested in our border situation would pay off in the end.

fredranger said:
I mean, if conservation officers, who appear to be as, if not better, equipped and trained as the RCMP...
Better equipped, maybe...(they have a better pistol, but thats about it...)

Better trained, I would have to disagree with.  RCMP training, and indeed ongoing training is recognized as some of the best Law Enforcement training in the world.  But our place is not in border security enforcement.  Investigation of border offences (ie:  smuggling, cross-border drug trade) is where our duties lay.

Well, having been apart of the Edmonton Police Service, I have personally seen a B.C. Cons Off pull some nice physical moves on a would be poacher, and not the ones you would see on the WWE wrestling. As it goes for investigation of border offences, yes, that is just part of what their mandate requires of them. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency/menu-e.html  clearly shows that what has been written, and what is being done, don't match up. When you abandon your post because you fear for your personal safety, and are unable to perform your  national security duties, then something has broken down.

Oh, don't worry... I agree 100% with that.  I have long said that our border guards should be armed.  And along with that, properly trained.  Just look at some of the things that get seized at the border.... (shudder...)

It is very embarrassing to "run away" from a real or perceived threat, but it is a necessary action. The government has to be forced into acting before Officer's die unnecessarily. Officer's want to intercept the bad guys, but as a new father I will not risk my life for something that is preventable. CBSA cannot rely on the RCMP for security or assistance, they are overwhelmed...to much work and to little money & personal. The members have the will and the ability, but it appears to be like the CBSA. They do not have support from their  hierarchy and their Minister.

I would be more concerned with working with a guy who stayed in his booth as an incoming American real life "cops and robbers" vehicle shoot out was rolling towards him.  I think it goes without saying that if you are in a fire fight with the police, you may have "something to declare".  If you are not armed, get the hell out of there.  There is a nice little photo machine that will catch the plate as the car zips through. 
It is not cowardice, it is common sense.

One of the main points that has been raised here has been whether or not Customs officials would be willing/able to carry firearms and what to do with the ones who are not willing to carry, or don't qualify?

why can we not stick those officers in an airport, i believe a customs officer himself said that he worked in an airport and felt safe.

could that not be a feesable solution instead of firing or letting go those who couldn't qualify?

Adam

First off, I don't see anyone getting fired or let go if they won't pack heat. 
Second, I don't think it is quite fair to lob someone into Pearson who lives here in Windsor, who has their whole life and family here. 
I believe there are plenty of clerical jobs available.  Fire 'em at a desk.  Simple enough.

I'd imagine the management would want some pretty serious power to assign armed officers whereever they're needed to assure coverage.  Certainly you wouldn't want a border crossing in the boonies without any armed officers and another one with all of the officers with sidearms. 

I believe that the idea is to have everyone armed, with possible allowances for current members to refuse if they feel the need to.  I can't imagine that number would exceed 5% of their current front line officers.

CanWest Global News
February 2, 2006
07:00 Mtn time

One of British Columbia's smallest boarder crossing was shut down last night. The crossing at Rousville was manned by a probationary female customs personal. When reports came in about a armed suspect fleeing towards this tiny crossing being pursued by US authorities. The suspect is believed to have relatives in the Rousville area. She notified her superior by telephone, who then called the two regular male customs service personal in. The regular personal upon arriving at the crossing station deemed it unsafe and closed the crossing at 06:45 hrs this morning.

Yet again folks.

Is this a Customs thing or a gender thing?  I think the gender thing has been done sufficiently. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Is this a Customs thing or a gender thing?  I think the gender thing has been done sufficiently. 

Just a customs thing. Was typing as the newscast was airing and trying to get as much information into the post without my morning coffee first.

Ahh, understandable and appropriate priorities.  Coffee first, always ;D

I would be interested to know what "closing" the border constitutes?  If they are putting out an orange pylon, then that is kind of lame.  If they are putting a couple of cube vans in the out and in lanes and hanging back with local police on site to grab the bad guy, then that sounds like a good plan. 
The bosses at CBSA need to come up with better border crasher solutions, guns notwithstanding(shooting at cars is generally not going to fly).  They need dragons teeth or pop up barricades for the border points because it is kind of impossible to stop something coming through as it is right now. 

No doubt with a over-qualified firebrand like this guy, with his obvious law enforcement credentials, they are being aggressively led into a new golden age of border safety:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency/president/menu-e.html

(once again the need for a sarcasm-dedicated emoticon is noted)

SeaKingTacco said:
A weatherman is in charge of cbsa?

Thats right, after all, all the qualified guys are working for the Quebec Liquor Board.

If nothing else we can feel sorry for the poor souls working in that Agency.

Cheers.

From the Budget;

Border security will see a significant cash injection, with $101 million to begin arming border officers and eliminating so-called work-alone posts, and another $202 million to implement a border strategy.  ;D &  :fifty:

Just a little response to those who do not want to be armed;
Perhaps they will have those officers who are unarmed partnered with an officer who is armed. 2 birds, 1 stone, no lone post and atleast someone is armed.

There has been a risk assessment completed and it has been indicated that that is how the Agency will progress in arming the ports. It has been identified that the high risk ports will  be armed first (ie Windsor).  The risk assessment is what they used for officer Powers in 2000. Unfortunate for the "air side", they were at the bottom of the list, Land Borders were first.

Back