• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops wrap up operation in Zhari district

Nauticus said:
I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my comments on page 1. It was either miswritten or misread, but either way some people were linking my comment to me somehow not caring about casualties and wounded men. This isn't the case, so I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. It was merely an attempt at civilian humor, and an expression that I want to serve my country overseas. Again, if it was taken any other way than that, I apologize.

Oh no worries. When I first went overseas all I wanted to do was get into Fire Fights. It's the nature of the beast right?  After being in a bunch, seeing your buddies getting killed and almost getting killed yourself the novelty wears off quick. 

Not wanting to brag, but on last days of our tour,  a certain group was still doing very perilous task less than a week before decompression. A "weird" decision if you ask me, that brought serious consequences.Guys were only thinking about going home and only wanted a break. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and anyone saying something else is a fool IMHO. So wanting the pace to slow down a bit when you know that you are reaching the goal line and that you are alone, you don't want to turn around and face an opponent just for fun.

For Nauticus, it's alright..everybody thinks the same before the first time. After many tics, you just want a break.

My 2 cents

CHIMO
Etienne

CSA 105 said:
Not to poke holes in your experience, but war is a bit different than student life.  My experience:

While conversing with some very polite, yet firm and very ideologically driven bearded fellows carrying AKs at a checkpoint in South Lebanon, they mentioned that if a Muslim is travelling or fighting or otherwise doing Allah's bidding, then they have some 'relaxation' of the Ramadan restrictions as long as they best follow as many of the tenets of Ramadan (ie alms to the poor) as they could.

I imagine that what is good for these fellows obviously applies to the Taliban as well, so wouldn't look for much respite.

My experience echos yours CSA. I instructed military bridging to a muslim student during ramadan and there was concern with his ability to undergo the training if he was not eating during the day. After the student had spoken to his family elders he told us that it was fine for him to eat like everyone else as it was necessary for him to do so. I doubt that the Taliban would take a break from fighting simply for ramadan.

The muslim religion is quite flexible for things like that.  If you are sick, pregnant or fighting a war, you are given a dispensation from fasting during Ramadan....

You guys beat me to the punch.  Just as in Roman Catholicism, there are times when fasting is not observed due to "other reasons".

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/424723

Canadians strike back at Taliban, killing 40

PASHMUL, Afghanistan – Just five days after a Taliban bomb killed three soldiers, the Canadian military has smashed an insurgent command centre.

A Canadian Forces commander in Afghanistan is confident a recent three day operation in Zhari district has thrown insurgents off balance.
Lt.-Col. Dave Corbould says the massive, mechanized air and ground assault targeting several villages in the Pashmul area effectively destroyed an insurgent command and control centre.
It’s believed the centre was responsible for producing and planting many of the improvised explosive devices that have made the main road through Kandahar among the most dangerous in the world.

Just last week, combat engineers Sapper Stephan Stock, Cpl. Dustin Wasden and Sgt. Shawn Eades were killed by a roadside bomb on Hwy 1, just four kilometres west of a Canadian base in Zhari district.
The operation dubbed Timis Preem is believed to have resulted in the death of more than 40 insurgents, including several commanders.
Canadian troops also recovered a variety of homemade bomb making supplies and weapons, while one suspected insurgent was detained.

Six Canadians soldiers and two journalists were wounded slightly in a bomb attack early Monday.

Op  Timis Preem, huh?  Any one else notice it?

I'm guessing someone in Ops and Planning thinks they have a sense of humour.  I can understand inserting a sly, pop culture reference for the troops, even though the mission is serious and the danger is great.  Still, points for coming up with the name and submitting it up the chain.

Stay safe, troops.

That was the S3's idea.  It means "Lawn Mower" in Pashtu.  And that's it!  Honest!  I have no idea what you guys see when you read that.

;D

Almost as good as OP BUB LUB LABLAW.

T.I.M. said:
That was the S3's idea.  It means "Lawn Mower" in Pashtu.  And that's it!  Honest!  I have no idea what you guys see when you read that.
S3?  Oh, the Operations Officer.  Aha.  Got it.  Oh, in case you haven't noticed, Canada does not use the continental staff system below brigade level (officially, anyway).  Otherwise, the adjutant would be the S1, OC Admin Coy would be S4, etc and so forth. 

Anyway, keep watching those operation names.  A little birdy once told me that the next BG to go over has some real cards in its plans shop.

Cataract Kid said:
Milnews: Agreed but, there is only so much that can be done with what you have (read size). If you have committed a sizable chunk then, that same chunk has to be given some downtime, I would think.

Seen - not much wiggle room left if EVERYONE's been busy....

I have it from a good source that the name for that Op actually came out of RECCE Platoon.

Well, good on the troops for a bit of end tour asskickery, now if we could just maintain a hiold on that bit of ground that was gained at the cost of so many, or are we doomed to deja vu all over again in the Panjawai?

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
S3?  Oh, the Operations Officer.  Aha.  Got it.  Oh, in case you haven't noticed, Canada does not use the continental staff system below brigade level (officially, anyway).  Otherwise, the adjutant would be the S1, OC Admin Coy would be S4, etc and so forth.

Wait for it - all that lingo, plus "XO" will make its way North....

Already has in theatre.  The ANA are G's, and TFK HQ uses J's, and Battlegroup, OMLT, and our "special friends" all use S2, S3, S4, etc.

T.I.M. said:
Already has in theatre.  The ANA are G's, and TFK HQ uses J's, and Battlegroup, OMLT, and our "special friends" all use S2, S3, S4, etc.
I realise that.  I also realise that the TFK HQ at least used to use a combination of "J" and "G", depending on the function; however, the incoming BG will not be using the "S" system.  Same with incoming OMLT.  Of course, we use "common language" when speaking with certain coalition partners.  But, for now, at least, Canadian doctrine does not use the continental staff system below Bde level (again, officially). 
As for those who say "It's NATO doctrine", well, it's not like we fell out of the coconut tree yesterday and found ourselves in NATO all of a sudden (and without warning, I may add).  Remember, if we followed all NATO doctrine, then our tac hel would be army aviation, and not airforce aviation.  Just one example among many.

I know all about the staff system. I also realise that "G" means "General" not "Ground", and is used in HQ's commanded by Generals (that are not joint, combined, coalition or other).  By the rules of the continental staff system, our CMBGs (commanded by Colonels, of course) should be using "S" not "G".  But I digress.

Anyway, people talking about retention of terrain.  Winning wars is never about terrain.  It's all about defeating the enemy's will to keep fighting.

Anyway, again, I digress...

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
if we followed all NATO doctrine, then our tac hel would be army aviation, and not airforce aviation. 

We are not alone. Brit Chinooks are RAF, Dutch AH-64s are KLu.............

;D

I wonder how long that will last, when the wrong "GX" gets the msg and some poor weenie has created an "international" incident?

CDN Aviator said:
We are not alone. Brit Chinooks are RAF, Dutch AH-64s are KLu.............
Exactly.  In fact, the NATO document on the continental staff system notes that not all member states use it.
George Wallace said:
;D

I wonder how long that will last, when the wrong "GX" gets the msg and some poor weenie has created an "international" incident?

Gimme a week or two!  >:D

Back