• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops wrap up operation in Zhari district

X-mo-1979

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian troops wrap up operation in Zhari district
Updated Sat. Aug. 23 2008 3:22 PM ET

The Canadian Press

ZHARI DISTRICT, Afghanistan -- The Canadian Forces have completed a massive offensive aimed at securing the main highway that runs through Kandahar province.

It's the same highway where three Canadian combat engineers were killed Wednesday after their vehicle rolled over an improvised explosive device.

The large mechanized operation sought to disrupt insurgent activity in an area of Zhari district where Canadian soldiers have not been present en masse since Operation Medusa in 2006.

The Canadian military does not release figures of casualties inflicted on its opponents, but unconfirmed reports suggest more than 40 insurgents were killed, including several commanders, in a series of skirmishes.

One person was detained during the operation that ended today.

Canadian soldiers also discovered a variety of bomb-making materials and weapons.

The last major offensive for this rotation of Canadian soldiers, the operation is meant to improve security for the next batch of soldiers coming into Afghanistan.

With the onset of Ramadan next month, the troops are hoping that the pace of fighting will slow down.

I read this on CTV a few minutes ago.The last line hits me kind of strange.
Who are these troops that hope the pace of fighting will slow down?Or are the media putting words in peoples mouths again.

I say lets pick it up a bit.

X-mo-1979 said:
With the onset of Ramadan next month, the troops are hoping that the pace of fighting will slow down.
Who are these troops that hope the pace of fighting will slow down?Or are the media putting words in peoples mouths again.

Very good point.  I read the same article, and this went over my head.  I wonder what Sun Tzu would say about us hitting them when they are at their hardest?  Just throwing that out there...

As I recall the coalition ground offensive in Gulf War 1 kicked off during Ramadan. I had a spirited discussion with J2 before the offensive started, as he at least claimed publicly that a truce would be observed during the period, while I said the Americans had said they were going to go on a certain date if Sadam didn't comply with the Security Council resolution, and they would go. (I still suspect he knew what was going to happen, but couldn't disclose it.)

Hey, why not on Ramadan?  I'm Catholic, and we have a lot in common with Moslems. Days of fasting, days of feasting, weird rituals, etc.  Still, the attack on Vimy Ridge started on Easter Monday...

Glad a few seen it my way as well. ;)Sometimes I tend to over react.

There are a couple ways it could be interpeted...neither I like.

1. Troops telling media that they hope the fighting slows down.(WTF)
2.Media writing B/S
3.Media trying to spin the CF in a differnt fashion (I.E do not like to fight)

From what I seen from my battle group,were not there to take it easy on the enemy.We have a fixed ammount of time in that theatre to lay waste to the taliban who are destroying that country for the Afgan people.

<end rant>

I hope you guys don't go out and finish this thing before I get deployed;)

Nauticus said:
I hope you guys don't go out and finish this thing before I get deployed;)
Be careful of what you wish for....

Who gives a crap if someone hopes the fighting is over for a bit? Are you here right now? Do you know what the guys have gone through in the last 6 months? Maybe they deserve a break, wouldn't you say?

Yes, I do agree with hitting the enemy whenever and wherever it is most opportune for us, that said, soldiers need a break, period.

It is time for one (a break), IMHO now is the time.

Cataract Kid is right on one count - one can't push EVERYONE forever.  I think it would be safe to say the fight can still be brought to the bad guys while still having some bayonets taking a break, no?

Anything more constructive to add geo?

Milnews: Agreed but, there is only so much that can be done with what you have (read size). If you have committed a sizable chunk then, that same chunk has to be given some downtime, I would think.

Wouldn’t a slow down just make it easier to conduct the rotation of the Battle Groups?

I agree with Cataract kid on this one.... most, if not all of those who have walked the beat in Kandahar(or any other deployment for that matter) know that at the end of your tour, you don't necessarily have a lot of gas left in the tank. Minus your HLTA you have been givin' 'er non stop for a long, long time. Couple that with the fact that everyone hopes to be going home in a couple weeks... you can't help but take lighter steps and hope you and your friends are all there to share a congratulatory cold one at KAF very very soon. When you start a tour all you want is to be in the sh*t for 6 months and really lay the slippers to the bad guys, but come end of tour, you are worn out and your priorities shift a bit, and you look foward to a very well deserved break. Doesn't mean you aren't ready to do it again if and when the call should come, of course. It just means you are starting to see the light in the distance, at the end of a very long dark tunnel.

Anyways good on you guys for doing an amazing job over the course of your deployment! Being on the ground, it usually feels like a God awful disorganized mess the whole time you are in country(at least mine did), but by all indications you are doing it right out there :)

geo said:
Whoa.... it's valium time!

No he's right though. If you're not there fighting than you shouldn't be hoping the fighting continues.  Just because it's our jobs to fight doesn't mean we want to 24/7.    

Rudy you're 100% correct.  When I Was over there in August 06 we were about to go home.  We hadn't been in a firefight for a month and we were basically on vacation in Spin Boldack.  Than with 2 weeks left my platoon got sent out to Panjawai on August 3. Sadley 4 were killed 10 were wounded that day, so close to going home.  Most of us didn't want to go, we'd still go an get the job done though. It's not like we didn't want to fight. All of us had been in tics before. It was just almost time to get on that freedom bird.

Edited to reply to Rudy.

X-mo-1979 said:

I think I read this a little differently. I took it to mean that they are hoping the Taliban's attacks on our troops are fewer and farther between.

I agree with the "pick it up" part, though. I recall that when I was teaching in the past during Ramadan, my Muslim students were all pretty useless due to their fasting during the day and staying up late at night to eat, so you have to assume that the Taliban would be similarly useless. ;)

I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my comments on page 1. It was either miswritten or misread, but either way some people were linking my comment to me somehow not caring about casualties and wounded men. This isn't the case, so I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. It was merely an attempt at civilian humor, and an expression that I want to serve my country overseas. Again, if it was taken any other way than that, I apologize.

BigRudy said:
Anyways good on you guys for doing an amazing job over the course of your deployment! Being on the ground, it usually feels like a God awful disorganized mess the whole time you are in country(at least mine did), but by all indications you are doing it right out there :)

Work up training has us well prepared for a disorganised mess  ;D
Hell I don't even get predeployment leave...score me!

Nauticus said:
I'm going to go ahead and apologize for my comments on page 1. It was either miswritten or misread, but either way some people were linking my comment to me somehow not caring about casualties and wounded men. This isn't the case, so I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. It was merely an attempt at civilian humor, and an expression that I want to serve my country overseas. Again, if it was taken any other way than that, I apologize.

Well said, I am sure there are many posters glad to see your clarification on your post.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Been here so far for most of all the TICS and will tell you most of us in my platoon want a break and would not care if we sat in KAF for the rest of tour. And dont worry for the guys that dont want us to finish the fight...not going to happen anytime soon.

Back