• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Tire orders inventory early, charters cargo ships to keep shelves stocked

And knowing that is happening on the coast is also part of our frustration; business processes, risk assesments etc really don't get things fixed, and usually all of that is a greater LOE than just buying the actual parts and having them available for repairs.

What drives me crazy is when we find all kinds of weird rabbits and stuff installed on the ships that was bought on a credit card that would never be allowed on a commercial ship, let alone a warship. Have enough issues without having to argue with people why ikea furniture doesn't meet any naval fire standards (or shock etc) and why you can't put Rona flooring down in the MCR in place of the high voltage insulation matting. Lots of fun.

Oh brother we are chewing the same dirt now. Mattress toppers anyone ? What a debacle. Ikea flooring for the MCR thats a new one hahahaha.

This all comes from people (LogOs) not being able to say no to "commands good ideas".

I was approached to buy enough sand to cover the flight deck, volleyball nets to install on the flight deck; and pools to also put on the flight deck for our RAMP on FRE. The fact this got to me to be shot down was astounding, I may have been used as the bad cop but I will never know. Can you imagine the deep color of red the flight deck would have been if we covered it in beach sand ?

Our Snr Storesmen know these rules and try to enforce them. The issue, from my experience, firmly lays at the feet of Log Os being unwilling to say no to good ideas and then beating the PO1s and CPO2s into submission or just doing it themselves. And then there is a lack of accountability or repercussion after the fact too.

Excellent points mon ami.

I won't pretend to be familiar with the RCN's work order process but if it is similar to the CA's and you are referring to using a work order priority code that corresponds to MPC 1, it likely hasn't been curtailed . Nor should it be because it is rightfully automated which is the way you want the system to work. The best way at that stage is have good monitoring, SOPs and enforce supply discipline to get folks to follow the policy.

What we experienced was basically falsified HPRs and the hoarding parts.

Example:

HMCS____ is going on deployment. So a W/O and HPR is raised for a system that a spare is not entitled for but that HMCS _____ wants and is then stored in a space and is consumed in the W/O when its issued so no visibility exists anymore and the part cant be pulled back. Where they did get caught was the accountable return that that creates. Which can/has been be fudged as well.

Also when DRIMS first came out many were under the incorrect assumption that they used one W/O for requisitions and another for a return which has lead to a false duplication of stock in the CFSS.

Oh brother we are chewing the same dirt now. Mattress toppers anyone ? What a debacle. Ikea flooring for the MCR thats a new one hahahaha.

This all comes from people (LogOs) not being able to say no to "commands good ideas".

I was approached to buy enough sand to cover the flight deck, volleyball nets to install on the flight deck; and pools to also put on the flight deck for our RAMP on FRE. The fact this got to me to be shot down was astounding, I may have been used as the bad cop but I will never know. Can you imagine the deep color of red the flight deck would have been if we covered it in beach sand ?

Our Snr Storesmen know these rules and try to enforce them. The issue, from my experience, firmly lays at the feet of Log Os being unwilling to say no to good ideas and then beating the PO1s and CPO2s into submission or just doing it themselves. And then there is a lack of accountability or repercussion after the fact too.

Wow, that is something else. Really getting a bit tired of Quality of Life overruling common sense, rules and regulations and basic safety. If anyone ever got investigated under the FAA for stuff like this they'd be completely foxed, and is why basic travel and hospitality requires so much oversight and approval. That's a really excellent way to lose any spending authorization and cripple your operational effectiveness.

The worst part about mattress toppers, furniture etc is that there is stuff available that meets the mil-spec or IMO standards but it's too much of a hassle to buy, so cheap shit gets LPOd instead, and then the fun starts when it gets picked up on any of the routine surveys we do for oversight (because of this exact reason). Sigh...

What we experienced was basically falsified HPRs and the hoarding parts.

Example:

HMCS____ is going on deployment. So a W/O and HPR is raised for a system that a spare is not entitled for but that HMCS _____ wants and is then stored in a space and is consumed in the W/O when its issued so no visibility exists anymore and the part cant be pulled back. Where they did get caught was the accountable return that that creates. Which can/has been be fudged as well.

Also when DRIMS first came out many were under the incorrect assumption that they used one W/O for requisitions and another for a return which has lead to a false duplication of stock in the CFSS.
I see what you are saying, all sorts of ways to play the system which really means you need to get back to good monitoring and SOPs. One of the things the CA techs would do is open a work order and order all parts through that regardless if it was for that particular vehicle or work order. It really skews the work history of that vehicle and doesn't give a true picture of the needs of the fleet. This was mostly on exercises but saw in in garrison settings as well and we just had the Bde Maint staff watch work orders from unit to curtail it.

Wow, that is something else. Really getting a bit tired of Quality of Life overruling common sense, rules and regulations and basic safety. If anyone ever got investigated under the FAA for stuff like this they'd be completely foxed, and is why basic travel and hospitality requires so much oversight and approval. That's a really excellent way to lose any spending authorization and cripple your operational effectiveness.

The worst part about mattress toppers, furniture etc is that there is stuff available that meets the mil-spec or IMO standards but it's too much of a hassle to buy, so cheap shit gets LPOd instead, and then the fun starts when it gets picked up on any of the routine surveys we do for oversight (because of this exact reason). Sigh...

We need to have a beer together lol Might turn into a few dozen though lol

Leaving aside the misuse of public funds, where was the EO in all of this?

That much sand on a flight deck is, firstly, a huge stability issue. In the second place, there is virtually no way to keep it from falling into the trackway that the trap uses…you know, the whole reason there is even a flight deck.

That much sand on a flight deck is, firstly, a huge stability issue. In the second place, there is virtually no way to keep it from falling into the trackway that the trap uses…you know, the whole reason there is even a flight deck.

I'm not sure. I know I successfully shut down the sand for the reasons you say and the doc shut down the communal pools with pics of nasty diseases that come with pools like this.

I think the plan was to removed the sand before then end of our RAMP in Souda Bay. Still as you and I have both said that flight deck would have been a deeeeeeeep shade of red after that lol.

I, like you, was perplexed it made it to the PO1 Storesman and the Doc before someone said no.

Last edited:

Maybe planning the RAMP and unaware of the plan? 🤷‍♂️ Doing an actual RAMP requires a lot of planning and coordination, but seems like the kind of thing to go over in HODs and CHODs

The FD and hangar is a key staging route for things you need like parts for said RAMP (R-something Auxiliary Maintenance period), and as you mentioned, the Flight deck. The AirO also would have lost their minds at that plan, as they usually have helo maintenance that occasionally needs to be done out of the barn.

Good initiative, creative plan, but hard no?

Weird too, because Souda Bay is a gorgeous location with crystal clear water right at the jetty and nice warm water; I would love to go for a swim there and I'm sure the Greeks wouldn't mind if you asked, even with COVID restrictions in place. We did a few hull inspections etc and was no problem.

Weird too, because Souda Bay is a gorgeous location with crystal clear water right at the jetty and nice warm water; I would love to go for a swim there and I'm sure the Greeks wouldn't mind if you asked, even with COVID restrictions in place. We did a few hull inspections etc and was no problem.

This was just as COVID hit and shortly before we lost Stalker. So we were not allowed ashore nor are you allowed to swim at the jetties.

Eventually they did allow us a cordoned off area on the jetty to get some PT but it was very strictly controlled.

Imagine, planning and coordinating stores to be available when needed instead of just in time.

The CAF could learn a thing or two...

Canadian Tire Corp. Ltd. is ordering spring and summer products early and chartering its own cargo ships to import goods as it doubles down on an inventory strategy that's buoyed the retailer through the pandemic.

The company's approach has helped it work around bottlenecks at ports and avoid surging spot market shipping rates, keeping store shelves stocked amid shortages elsewhere.

With their inventory it should be called China Tire. I doubt they even make an effort to find Canadian or north American merchandise. Let's keep financing that empire same as Europe did by buying Russian oil and gas. Wait till China starts cutting us off from all that junk we buy.

With their inventory it should be called China Tire. I doubt they even make an effort to find Canadian or north American merchandise. Let's keep financing that empire same as Europe did by buying Russian oil and gas. Wait till China starts cutting us off from all that junk we buy.
Good thing Princess Auto doesn’t get its stuff from China…
1649905788818.gif

Over ten years ago I was in Shanghai working on a logistics project with a Chinese company. Funny thing is the only Canadian company they knew of was Canadian Tire. Said they must be a huge company rhey use more shipping containers then many American companies. Plus here at home you can see the CT owned containers on rail lines.

Not sure I agree that a Log O has the authority to say no to “commands good ideas,” unless the order is manifestly unlawful. If a CO wants to fill a flight deck with sand, unless there is a clear order for which the CO doesn’t have the authority to waive saying it is prohibited to do so, the Log O and the ship crew has to obey that order. As advisors to the CO, the staff should lay out the risks and benefits associated with doing so and offering their expert opinion but I would argue that ultimately not obeying the order would be in contravention of QR&O 19.015.

Not sure I agree that a Log O has the authority to say no to “commands good ideas,” unless the order is manifestly unlawful. If a CO wants to fill a flight deck with sand, unless there is a clear order for which the CO doesn’t have the authority to waive saying it is prohibited to do so, the Log O and the ship crew has to obey that order. As advisors to the CO, the staff should lay out the risks and benefits associated with doing so and offering their expert opinion but I would argue that ultimately not obeying the order would be in contravention of QR&O 19.015.
Max, you are correct, but it would be a dopey thing to actually do to a flight deck on a ship, on a whole bunch levels. Including (but not limited to) air certification implications, which means airworthiness gets dragged, ship stability implications and even ship structural safety implications. Sand weighs more than people think it does…

Max, you are correct, but it would be a dopey thing to actually do to a flight deck on a ship, on a whole bunch levels. Including (but not limited to) air certification implications, which means airworthiness gets dragged, ship stability implications and even ship structural safety implications. Sand weighs more than people think it does…
I 100% agree that it is probably a bad idea but that’s not for the LogO or Supply Tech to say no. A bad idea isn’t necessarily an unlawful order, never mind a manifestly unlawful order…

I 100% agree that it is probably a bad idea but that’s not for the LogO or Supply Tech to say no. A bad idea isn’t necessarily an unlawful order, never mind a manifestly unlawful order…

Absolutely it is. There are rules and regulations around contracting and ones rank or position does not trump TBS and the rules we have to follow.

I'd a CO wants to override the R&R surrounding contracting they are welcome conduct and carry out the contracting process themselves.

Back