• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Tire orders inventory early, charters cargo ships to keep shelves stocked

I recall seeing a former CRCN in a meeting just under a decade ago; in the chat before it began, he commented on the St Laurent class anchors someone had just located in warehouse, and how nice one would look on his front lawn.

I recall seeing a former CRCN in a meeting just under a decade ago; in the chat before it began, he commented on the St Laurent class anchors someone had just located in warehouse, and how nice one would look on his front lawn.

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Meanwhile:

Employees Are Sick of Being Asked to Make Moral Compromises​

Moral injury is experienced as a trauma response to witnessing or participating in workplace behaviors that contradict one’s moral beliefs in high-stakes situations and that have the potential of harming others physically, psychologically, socially, or economically, and it could prompt people to leave a company. It was first studied in veterans who’d witnessed atrocities of war. More recently, this research has been extended to health care, education, social work, and other high-pressure and often under-resourced occupations. The past two years have made it increasingly clear that moral injury can occur in many contexts and populations, including the workplace. As a new world of work unfolds before us and the pact between employee and employer gets rewritten, leaders have to learn and evolve to keep pace. The authors present six things leaders can do to ensure their actions aren’t unintentionally injuring the moral center of those they lead.

I remember when that was found during the 280/tanker disposal scrub; think it ended up going to a museum or park via the normal DHH process. There is actually a lot of St. Laurent class and 280 class items across the country now from that, which is kind of cool. Last time I went for to the range here in Ottawa they have a few random pieces there, which is neat if you know what you are looking at, but probably just a random grey hunk of metal for the army types there.

But yeah, pretty nuts. I can see a spare anchor for a class of ship as an insurance item, but they missed all kinds of things when they disposed of the steamers, so we played a lot of catch up. Fortunately we were on a shoe string budget so everything from the 280s got scrapped (the scrap value offset the disposal costs).

So I'll give you a good example of what we're working with in the EPM. We spent about two months in the summer with every LCMM reviewing every catalogued NSN in the inventory to update the 'min/max' and required supply levels. Those are theoretically in DRMIS, and should trigger automatic buys when you get below certain stock levels, but also let the LCMMs tag things as 'insurance items', which are those long lead parts that almost never break, but when they do you are foxed. We usually have major gear components for that reason, as the lead time will usually be in the 2-3+ years timeframe.

Because of the extended procurement times, we used two years worth of supply as the rule of thumb for setting the min levels to trigger a new order.

In reality, there isn't sufficient SM/procurement to process those autobuys, and we can't afford it, so all of it goes into a pile that is picked at when we can.

Knowing that, LCMMs manually push orders to get filled, but with the limited SM/Proc Os, they also go into a pile that is picked at when they can, with HPRs getting the priority. At busy times even HPRs are getting triaged because there isn't enough people, and not unusual to have a 3-4 month processing time for HPR procurements to be on the street.

So frequently things that are HPRs are HPRs because the routine re-supply under the min/max isn't happening, and we're doing everything manually, with a fraction of the staff, a lot of new people, and not enough of the right kind of beans to buy stuff.

A lot of collective frustration in both the SM/LCMM side about it, as and I see a few HPRs a week that have been on our 'buy list' for a year or more. COVID isn't helping and we had a few suppliers shut down at various points (or had their suppliers shut down at various points) so even when we get contracts out the EDDs can sometimes blow months or years past the contract date. We had one supplier be honest and tell us that when they did start up, their priority was filling the USN orders first, so we don't even have any real buying power in a lot of cases.

So sure, there has to be a balance, but a lot of the assumptions on lead time and process time are right out the window, which pushed our tower of cards right over, and basically broke things. It's bad enough we're looking at an ISSC to basically do the basic item procurement (and warehousing) functions, because that drops the LOE on the procurement side to a single big contract management, instead of thousands of buys.

So it's not that LCMMs aren't aware of the supply chain impacts or the storage requirements; things are just so f&d it's just not even on our radar of things to care about, because we will usually spend more on workarounds then the parts for a full fix are worth. If we have a shelf full of stuff normally we're just relieved to have actual parts somewhere.

Did find some obsolete NSNs against my own TA code from the 50s and 60s though; they were so old that took forever to figure out what they actually were, and had to go to e-bay to find some background. Those will be disposed of at some point, but on the Navy side we did our best to clear out a lot of the obsolete equipment when we disposed of the tankers and 280s, which also came along with a lot of extra stuff as scrap weight with de-militarization instructions to get rid of it. Obviously missed some of it, but we cleared out a few hundred tonnes of excess stuff that had been sitting around for a few decades, so progress.
Yea that sounds about right and it is an interesting perspective, thanks for that. I will say the RCN keeps to their coastal depots mostly so their impact on the national ones is there but minimal. Given that it is the case most of my day to day is with the CA or for limited fleets the RCAF material (and of course truly national stock). The CA could use some of the rigor your discussed in your post, I know they try but they are stretched thing with way too things to support with too few people.

The RCAF is weird as only a few fleets have national stock or partial national stock, but even the ones supported through ISS contracts for parts have issues in getting timely delivery. It is interesting to see but likely plays outs similar to your experience where we represent very little value (and lots of whinging) to some organizations so their horsepower goes to bigger contracts and we get the dregs.

In a funny twist I have been looking for a new remote role as I am moving to support my spouse's career and surprisingly can't support a warehouse remotely. If I wanted to be a procurement guy I would have had a job 10 times over in any one of the 3 EPMS or even flipping over to PSPC, but it really doesn't interest me but if push comes to shove I know the posns are there :)

Ya one perplexing idea in the RCN is that material is believed to belong to individuals and they don't always understand when you can't let them just take things home.

On the redundant parts side we had burlap sacks that kept showing at my ship because the LCMM refused to kill the min/max, because we might sometime have the old glass and metal shredders reinstalled.

Same thing with our old DG parts. We (FRE) recieved CAT DGs during a refit, and the LCMMs didn't kill our min/max so we continued to receive spares for equipment we didn't have.

Space is at a premium on a CPF and it's a constant fight to ensure I keep my spaces as organized and safe as I can while managing everyone else who wants to plug things into them let alone having to carry obsolete stores en masse.

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

Meanwhile:

Employees Are Sick of Being Asked to Make Moral Compromises​

Moral injury is experienced as a trauma response to witnessing or participating in workplace behaviors that contradict one’s moral beliefs in high-stakes situations and that have the potential of harming others physically, psychologically, socially, or economically, and it could prompt people to leave a company. It was first studied in veterans who’d witnessed atrocities of war. More recently, this research has been extended to health care, education, social work, and other high-pressure and often under-resourced occupations. The past two years have made it increasingly clear that moral injury can occur in many contexts and populations, including the workplace. As a new world of work unfolds before us and the pact between employee and employer gets rewritten, leaders have to learn and evolve to keep pace. The authors present six things leaders can do to ensure their actions aren’t unintentionally injuring the moral center of those they lead.

Like my LogO ordering my Cpl to use their AC illegally under the threat of charge for insubordination if the Cpl refused. That was a fun day lol

Or when the NWO fought me all the way to the CO because I wouldn't let him take a C7, Bolt and Mag home to practice his drills.

Yea that sounds about right and it is an interesting perspective, thanks for that. I will say the RCN keeps to their coastal depots mostly so their impact on the national ones is there but minimal. Given that it is the case most of my day to day is with the CA or for limited fleets the RCAF material (and of course truly national stock). The CA could use some of the rigor your discussed in your post, I know they try but they are stretched thing with way too things to support with too few people.

The RCAF is weird as only a few fleets have national stock or partial national stock, but even the ones supported through ISS contracts for parts have issues in getting timely delivery. It is interesting to see but likely plays outs similar to your experience where we represent very little value (and lots of whinging) to some organizations so their horsepower goes to bigger contracts and we get the dregs.

In a funny twist I have been looking for a new remote role as I am moving to support my spouse's career and surprisingly can't support a warehouse remotely. If I wanted to be a procurement guy I would have had a job 10 times over in any one of the 3 EPMS or even flipping over to PSPC, but it really doesn't interest me but if push comes to shove I know the posns are there :)

We still have lots of Naval stores at 25 CFSD but if we had the space at the two BLogs (Esq&HFX) I would like the rest of our material pulled out and redistributed to the coasts.

So I'll give you a good example of what we're working with in the EPM. We spent about two months in the summer with every LCMM reviewing every catalogued NSN in the inventory to update the 'min/max' and required supply levels. Those are theoretically in DRMIS, and should trigger automatic buys when you get below certain stock levels, but also let the LCMMs tag things as 'insurance items', which are those long lead parts that almost never break, but when they do you are foxed. We usually have major gear components for that reason, as the lead time will usually be in the 2-3+ years timeframe.

Because of the extended procurement times, we used two years worth of supply as the rule of thumb for setting the min levels to trigger a new order.

In reality, there isn't sufficient SM/procurement to process those autobuys, and we can't afford it, so all of it goes into a pile that is picked at when we can.

Knowing that, LCMMs manually push orders to get filled, but with the limited SM/Proc Os, they also go into a pile that is picked at when they can, with HPRs getting the priority. At busy times even HPRs are getting triaged because there isn't enough people, and not unusual to have a 3-4 month processing time for HPR procurements to be on the street.

So frequently things that are HPRs are HPRs because the routine re-supply under the min/max isn't happening, and we're doing everything manually, with a fraction of the staff, a lot of new people, and not enough of the right kind of beans to buy stuff.

A lot of collective frustration in both the SM/LCMM side about it, as and I see a few HPRs a week that have been on our 'buy list' for a year or more. COVID isn't helping and we had a few suppliers shut down at various points (or had their suppliers shut down at various points) so even when we get contracts out the EDDs can sometimes blow months or years past the contract date. We had one supplier be honest and tell us that when they did start up, their priority was filling the USN orders first, so we don't even have any real buying power in a lot of cases.

So sure, there has to be a balance, but a lot of the assumptions on lead time and process time are right out the window, which pushed our tower of cards right over, and basically broke things. It's bad enough we're looking at an ISSC to basically do the basic item procurement (and warehousing) functions, because that drops the LOE on the procurement side to a single big contract management, instead of thousands of buys.

So it's not that LCMMs aren't aware of the supply chain impacts or the storage requirements; things are just so f&d it's just not even on our radar of things to care about, because we will usually spend more on workarounds then the parts for a full fix are worth. If we have a shelf full of stuff normally we're just relieved to have actual parts somewhere.

Did find some obsolete NSNs against my own TA code from the 50s and 60s though; they were so old that took forever to figure out what they actually were, and had to go to e-bay to find some background. Those will be disposed of at some point, but on the Navy side we did our best to clear out a lot of the obsolete equipment when we disposed of the tankers and 280s, which also came along with a lot of extra stuff as scrap weight with de-militarization instructions to get rid of it. Obviously missed some of it, but we cleared out a few hundred tonnes of excess stuff that had been sitting around for a few decades, so progress.

I get it were all under pressure to do more with less.

It's frustrating at the tactical level when young Stoker's are constantly being sent to my office to buy material that we can't buy by people who know better.

Throw in LogOs (HODs) and Commands who don't understand why not and it becomes a continually negative environment.

Interestingly, in my role here, my section sees every HPR that goes out the door from BLOG Halifax. Yesterday I inspected a Cat5E patch cable that was HPR'd to Esquimalt. A cable that you can go to Staples and buy for less than the cost of shipping.

It has been a habit of mine in the past 12 months - almost every single HPR that I've had in my hands has had a photo of it added to the MMR in DRMIS for future reference. Interestingly, that's one of the solutions that's put forward in the paper from Cdr Edmonds....who is, interestingly, now the CO here at BLog Halifax.

Interestingly, in my role here, my section sees every HPR that goes out the door from BLOG Halifax. Yesterday I inspected a Cat5E patch cable that was HPR'd to Esquimalt. A cable that you can go to Staples and buy for less than the cost of shipping.

It has been a habit of mine in the past 12 months - almost every single HPR that I've had in my hands has had a photo of it added to the MMR in DRMIS for future reference. Interestingly, that's one of the solutions that's put forward in the paper from Cdr Edmonds....who is, interestingly, now the CO here at BLog Halifax.

Pictures are a huge addition good work!

I haven't been to 25 or 7 before but I would love to visit these sites. I imagine they are both massive footprints of infrastructure.
They are both large. 25 has one huge building and a large number of big outbuildings.

7 is one large building with a few smaller outbuildings. Both have lots of storage space but 25 is much larger than 7 in pure storage space.

Can I ask what has changed in the SAM WRT HPR processes ? I am interested to see how its been redone.
4 MPCs
1645628416500.png

1. Must be approved in writing by CO but approval can be delegated to senior Log or Maint reps
  2. They included a number of actions at at 1st, 2nd and 3rd line. The 1st and 2nd line stuff isn't bad and pretty on point but they included a number of things especially at the 3rd line level that would never happen because the system does it automatically or it just isn't the way the system works
    • Validate if stock is held at depot if yes process it, if no re-direct it -
      • Depot wouldn't even see the demand using normal processes (VL10D) unless the stock was avail and released the system. If it wasn't at that depot the STO should not be directed that way in the first place.
      • If anything the system should be arranged so it automatically points at the right place but it doesn't so this needs to be manually done by the end user not the depot
    • If stock is restricted, request from EPM for release approval unless the HPR Substantiation Document has the “Pre-Approval to release” box Checked -
      • The depot wouldn't see an HPR in the system unless it was released.
      • The depot defo doesn't see the HPR substatitaion doc and even if they put it in the PReq or STO they wouldn't see it as they are processed without ever looking at an individual STO
    • Release any restricted materiel by COB if no instructions have been received by the appropriate TA/SM -
      • The depot wouldn't know what was pegged against them needing release without the customer contacting them them
      • They can release an item but it rare and almost always for after hours type emergencies. This just needs to be written better.
  3. There is a piece on L1 and subordinate formations having to keep registers and monitor usage which is good.
The 4 MPCs are a poorly thought out idea and MPC 0 isn't even coded into the system yet, I mean one can put it in their PREQ but STOs have no 0 option and when a 0 PREQ converts to a STO it becomes a 3. Really all it did was make "0" an HPR and 1 a routine thing to deal with.

The overall policy is not terrible, the actions on at each level is bit of a mess but fixable. The real thing they could do is make better use of the systems automation but we love our time consuming manual processes.

It helps us too...when you look something up in the MMR, check the Attachment List in the top left corner....

View attachment 68919
Neat stuff. Unfortunately considering that MM03 is a beast most users have no idea what they are looking at when it come to the MMR and won't be able to find it! I will check it from now on just to see if it an item blessed by NS's touch.

So many things that need to be fixed! My recent fav was trying to correct how we record cord, fiborus (paracord's cheaper but more common cousin). It's unit of issue is in Meters and comes in rolls of 250 meters. That is great if you are paying attention and order 1250 meters and get 5 rolls. not so great if you order 2 meters or 24 meters.

For the record we did not send out 2 meters but rather had the SM change the quantities to reflect what they likely needed. Also suggested they change the base UOI to roll as no one asks their stores folks for 20 meters.

It is a rather easy fix but with everyone stretched thin across the DSC and no time to review things means we generally only catch these issues when they impact the end user
Stock Reqs.png

HPRs... that's a beast, that whole NAVORD and needs to be rewritten we make Supply too complicated. Its really very simple:

1) Get stores
2) Warehouse Stores
3) Manage Stores
4) Issue Stores, as required
5) Replenish stores

Thats it.
I fully agree with this sentiment, except that all the above takes something that the CAF decided was less valuable around 30 years ago. It takes a very large number of Supply chain personnel, purple trades and civilians, to do the work. But when it was time to make cuts, instead of finding the right balance of tail to tooth, drastic cuts were made mainly to one side.

Organizations have done their best to leverage best business practices and technology to offset the loss of personnel, but as we can all see, it doesn't work all that great in an organization that isn't driven by profits.

DLA down here has been trying to get manufacturers to upload pictures with the NSN items.

Pictures are a huge addition good work!
From a user standpoint they can really help when some items are similar and your entity doesn't have the equivalent of a LCMM, and your CDD crew isn't the same group that was involved in the item acquisition.
You may for instance have 5 different variants of a hypothetical barrel/suppressor combo - and it's not clear from anything if you have version 3 or 5 - and calling the manufacturer doesn't help as the guy the door code down from you may have bought something different recently and they aren't 100% sure of what you have - and you can't bring a phone in to get a pic of the item you want switched over.

They are both large. 25 has one huge building and a large number of big outbuildings.

7 is one large building with a few smaller outbuildings. Both have lots of storage space but 25 is much larger than 7 in pure storage space.

4 MPCs
View attachment 68921

1. Must be approved in writing by CO but approval can be delegated to senior Log or Maint reps
  2. They included a number of actions at at 1st, 2nd and 3rd line. The 1st and 2nd line stuff isn't bad and pretty on point but they included a number of things especially at the 3rd line level that would never happen because the system does it automatically or it just isn't the way the system works
    • Validate if stock is held at depot if yes process it, if no re-direct it -
      • Depot wouldn't even see the demand using normal processes (VL10D) unless the stock was avail and released the system. If it wasn't at that depot the STO should not be directed that way in the first place.
      • If anything the system should be arranged so it automatically points at the right place but it doesn't so this needs to be manually done by the end user not the depot
    • If stock is restricted, request from EPM for release approval unless the HPR Substantiation Document has the “Pre-Approval to release” box Checked -
      • The depot wouldn't see an HPR in the system unless it was released.
      • The depot defo doesn't see the HPR substatitaion doc and even if they put it in the PReq or STO they wouldn't see it as they are processed without ever looking at an individual STO
    • Release any restricted materiel by COB if no instructions have been received by the appropriate TA/SM -
      • The depot wouldn't know what was pegged against them needing release without the customer contacting them them
      • They can release an item but it rare and almost always for after hours type emergencies. This just needs to be written better.
  3. There is a piece on L1 and subordinate formations having to keep registers and monitor usage which is good.
The 4 MPCs are a poorly thought out idea and MPC 0 isn't even coded into the system yet, I mean one can put it in their PREQ but STOs have no 0 option and when a 0 PREQ converts to a STO it becomes a 3. Really all it did was make "0" an HPR and 1 a routine thing to deal with.

The overall policy is not terrible, the actions on at each level is bit of a mess but fixable. The real thing they could do is make better use of the systems automation but we love our time consuming manual processes.

Neat stuff. Unfortunately considering that MM03 is a beast most users have no idea what they are looking at when it come to the MMR and won't be able to find it! I will check it from now on just to see if it an item blessed by NS's touch.

So many things that need to be fixed! My recent fav was trying to correct how we record cord, fiborus (paracord's cheaper but more common cousin). It's unit of issue is in Meters and comes in rolls of 250 meters. That is great if you are paying attention and order 1250 meters and get 5 rolls. not so great if you order 2 meters or 24 meters.

For the record we did not send out 2 meters but rather had the SM change the quantities to reflect what they likely needed. Also suggested they change the base UOI to roll as no one asks their stores folks for 20 meters.

It is a rather easy fix but with everyone stretched thin across the DSC and no time to review things means we generally only catch these issues when they impact the end user
View attachment 68920

Interesting. I wonder if DNavLog had any input. MPCs 0,1 and probably 2 are going to be breached all the time. Unless a ship is parked at home it can take weeks to move parts across oceans and through various customs loops.

These are great if your at 2 Svc and playing silly buggers on the Matawa Plains... Not so great if your off Djibouti conducting Anti-Piracy ops and playing silly buggers with failed nations governments and war lords to move parts.

That's of course assuming there is a part that is serviceable, ready, and available.

Has anything been done to stop engineers from ordering spares via HPR by disguise ? I suppose CO signatures are suppose to counter that.

I get it were all under pressure to do more with less.

It's frustrating at the tactical level when young Stoker's are constantly being sent to my office to buy material that we can't buy by people who know better.

Throw in LogOs (HODs) and Commands who don't understand why not and it becomes a continually negative environment.
And knowing that is happening on the coast is also part of our frustration; business processes, risk assesments etc really don't get things fixed, and usually all of that is a greater LOE than just buying the actual parts and having them available for repairs.

What drives me crazy is when we find all kinds of weird rabbits and stuff installed on the ships that was bought on a credit card that would never be allowed on a commercial ship, let alone a warship. Have enough issues without having to argue with people why ikea furniture doesn't meet any naval fire standards (or shock etc) and why you can't put Rona flooring down in the MCR in place of the high voltage insulation matting. Lots of fun.

@MJP thanks for all the great info, pretty rusty on DRMIS so need to learn some of that. Our LCMMs have started to take the SM intro course to understand all this stuff, and that seems really useful. Appreciate the insight into the log side of things which is normally a black box. It was pretty weird during the min/max survey to see some of the random depots with items in storage but none on the coasts, so part of that exercise was to try and re-balance the distribtution as well. Ideally most Navy stuff should be on the coasts, with some excess supply in the depots, and some of the larger 'insurance item' type pieces tucked away at a depot for that once in a 25 year type demand.

@NavyShooter Pictures are awesome, thanks for that. That's what I was using ebay for actually. Nothing more frustrating to the team right now then spending a while putting together the cataloguing info and then having it all stripped off by DSCO with a unhelpfully vague description the only thing left. We have hundreds of valves so stripping out the dimensions, materials etc really pissed people off.

Interesting. I wonder if DNavLog had any input. MPCs 0,1 and probably 2 are going to be breached all the time. Unless a ship is parked at home it can take weeks to move parts across oceans and through various customs loops.

These are great if your at 2 Svc and playing silly buggers on the Matawa Plains... Not so great if your off Djibouti conducting Anti-Piracy ops and playing silly buggers with failed nations governments and war lords to move parts.

That's of course assuming there is a part that is serviceable, ready, and available.

Has anything been done to stop engineers from ordering spares via HPR by disguise ? I suppose CO signatures are suppose to counter that.
I was out of the Supply stream during the MPC discussions but it seems all the L1s were at the table. They do acknowledge that ships or overseas mission may have longer time lines than domestic orders

1645633432445.png
I won't pretend to be familiar with the RCN's work order process but if it is similar to the CA's and you are referring to using a work order priority code that corresponds to MPC 1, it likely hasn't been curtailed . Nor should it be because it is rightfully automated which is the way you want the system to work. The best way at that stage is have good monitoring, SOPs and enforce supply discipline to get folks to follow the policy.

Back