• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

After @Underway ‘s ….detailed response, I can only imagine their initial reaction to that question was this:

Birdman Hand Rub GIF by The Black Announce Table
I actually wrote way more but deleted it, ESM/EW is hard without "Warthundering" myself.

There isn't really anywhere else to put the mounts besides the broadside locations, the removal of the ExLS doesn't really open any usable space up as the NSM box launchers will still need to be mounted over the mission bay roof. Missile attack from the bow or stern is going to have to be dealt with by ESSM and the main gun, if RAM can't be maneuvered to deal with the threats.
Spitballing here. What about between the main gun and the mk41, although exhaust from RAM could temporarily interfere with simultaneous launches from mk41. Astern, atop the hanger, although this may require relocating the helicopter radar. This would allow overlap for rounds coming abeam.

10 plus 3 gets you 13.

Plus HMCS CANADA and HMCS CONFEDERATION.

I
Spitballing here. What about between the main gun and the mk41, although exhaust from RAM could temporarily interfere with simultaneous launches from mk41. Astern, atop the hanger, although this may require relocating the helicopter radar. This would allow overlap for rounds coming abeam.
I would think that would be concentrating an awful lot of weight in that one area, especially with a full load in the VLS.

Unfortunately its not like lego. The under deck infrastructure is important. The beam will work completely fine.

Do we even know what RAM system this is. Sea RAM or GMLS MK 49. Huge difference in just about every installation and integration configuration.

If it is Sea Ram, at 2 launchers the ship will end up with just 22 RIM 116 total before reload but there is Phalanx autonomy and little systems integration work.

If MK 49 system , at 2 launchers the ship would have 42 missiles in an installation 7 tons and requires a lot of expensive integration work.

Do we even know what RAM system this is. Sea RAM or GMLS MK 49. Huge difference in just about every installation and integration configuration.

If it is Sea Ram, at 2 launchers the ship will end up with just 22 RIM 116 total before reload but there is Phalanx autonomy and little systems integration work.

If MK 49 system , at 2 launchers the ship would have 42 missiles in an installation 7 tons and requires a lot of expensive integration work.
Aegis already has done integration with RAM so not as expensive as one might think. But no, we don't actually know. Watch and shoot at this point I think.

Scuttlebutt I’ve heard specified Mk.49 but pinch of salt at this point of course.

Scuttlebutt I’ve heard specified Mk.49 but pinch of salt at this point of course.
Been reading up all I can on the RAM block 2 missile. Substantial improvements to the guidance and propulsion over the block 1s. There is apparently also a block 2B, which Germany has just purchased. It seems the range of the Block 2 is around ~15 Km, versus ~10 for the block 1s.

And it looks like the USN is going to retrofit these to the Burke's (in the guise of the SeaRAM or Mk 49, depending on the version of Burke):

Last edited:
There is an entry in Wikipedia now for the "River" class. Shows 2 x Mk 49 RAM launchers for CIADS - no Sea Ceptor. I realize Wikipedia is notoriously unreliable, but still, interesting to see nevertheless.

What do they know that we don't...

Though they still have the Xband illuminator which has been removed so yah... need a new image uploaded as well.

The cool thing about Sea Ram is it could … cough .. could … be fitted to the JSS and in theory even the AOPs. The Mk 49, not so much.
But can you imagine every ship in the RCN having it or at least being able to use the same missiles.

Here's a top down. Not great magnification but there is a hatch it looks like beside the VLS or something port side quarter of the main gun. Its not as simple as passing 57mm or 76mm up and down ladders. 127mm are friggin heavy.

View attachment 86303

Also looking at the foc'sle its pretty clean, so the cable work for anchors will likely be done below decks. Which begs the question what are the bin type things forward of the gun for?
Deck chairs?

The cool thing about Sea Ram is it could … cough .. could … be fitted to the JSS and in theory even the AOPs. The Mk 49, not so much.
But can you imagine every ship in the RCN having it or at least being able to use the same missiles.
I was wondering about that. With regards to the mk49, would it be able to take direction from the Sea Giraffe on the JSS?

Back