• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Somebody elsewhere shared an amusing snippet from Warship Volume IX, Issue 35 from the article The Canadian Patrol Frigate, by Thomas G Lynch and I thought it relevant here.

With the announcement on 18 August 1983 of a $3.85 (1983) billion contract to St. John Shipbuilding and Drydock Company Limited, the 15 year search for a St. Laurent replacement seemed to be over. NATO countries, especially the US, had been skeptical of ever seeing it come off the drawing boards and indeed criticism of the costs had been made both in Canada and abroad. Setting all arguments aside, the first batch of six are now on order, with the first steel to be cut in October and the first section arriving on the ways in July 1985, the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Canadian Navy. Just how did the Canadian Navy get itself into a situation where elderly frigates were expected to soldier on into the 30th year of service? A brief history of postwar construction helps to understand the current situation.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Right you are, Robert Cyr also sends out a lot of crap like Hansen.
I know when I have questions about building a ship, I talk to someone responsible for the radars, weapon systems and wardroom popcorn, not a nav arch or a marine engineer. Good thing us poor EOs have them as backup when we don't understand something about welding, structures, pipe work, metal fabrication, power trains, stability, and damage control.

I know when I have questions about building a ship, I talk to someone responsible for the radars, weapon systems and wardroom popcorn, not a nav arch or a marine engineer. Good thing us poor EOs have them as backup when we don't understand something about welding, structures, pipe work, metal fabrication, power trains, stability, and damage control.

I'm sure you and I could have a few tears together...

A pet peeve of mine on the landward side of thing is the National Master Specification - Top billing goes to the architects who get to put their coversheet on the project. My own particular specialty is Division 42, buried at the back of the book. But Division 42 "Process Heating, Cooling and Drying Equipment" is all about the equipment that actually converts raw material into profits. All the other Divisions serve and support that goal.

But when a new project comes up do they talk to Div 42 engineers first? Like heck they do. The first call is to an architect.

I keep telling people that all the answers are in the back of the book

A pet peeve of mine on the landward side of thing is the National Master Specification - Top billing goes to the architects who get to put their coversheet on the project. My own particular specialty is Division 42, buried at the back of the book. But Division 42 "Process Heating, Cooling and Drying Equipment" is all about the equipment that actually converts raw material into profits. All the other Divisions serve and support that goal.

But when a new project comes up do they talk to Div 42 engineers first? Like heck they do. The first call is to an architect.

I keep telling people that all the answers are in the back of the book

If it makes you feel better, I've been the author of a reference and they still talk to someone else first.

But in general, there seem to be a number of talking heads that provide SME opinions without knowing more then some of the vocabulary. Maybe they were really just pre-social media influencers, so were actually trailblazers at talking out of their whole ass.

I once suggested to someone it would be easier to do handstands (re talking out of their ass), so maybe that's why they talk to someone else first.

If it makes you feel better, I've been the author of a reference and they still talk to someone else first.

But in general, there seem to be a number of talking heads that provide SME opinions without knowing more then some of the vocabulary. Maybe they were really just pre-social media influencers, so were actually trailblazers at talking out of their whole ass.

I once suggested to someone it would be easier to do handstands (re talking out of their ass), so maybe that's why they talk to someone else first.

I started as a scientist. I was forced into sales. I was a better SME than a salesman.

Me and Alexander Keith. :LOL:

Hey I resemble that remark! And for the record if you EO's and Nav Archs did your job and properly dealt with the magazines I wouldn't have to learn all that stuff about welding, structures, pipe work metal fabrication, power and damage control!

(for the record I love working in mutidisciplinary engineering teams, some of the most productive and enjoyable years of my work life)

Back