• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian sailor died in a port visit to the Bahamas...

SharkSlayer7.62

Inactive
Reaction score
This was a shocker as I read the sunday morning paper on-line...

Investigators probing sailor's death delayed in New York

By BRIAN HAYES Court Reporter

Travel delays Saturday impeded military investigators in their attempts to gather more information about the death of a Canadian sailor in the Bahamas.

Leading Seaman Travis Pye died early Friday after being pulled from Nassau Harbour while his ship, HMCS St. John's was visiting the Bahamian capital.

Capt. John Kirschner, commanding officer of Canadian Forces National Investigation Service for the Atlantic region, said investigators were delayed at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and were not expected to reach Nassau until after 6 p.m. Saturday.

He said investigators were expected to meet with the frigate’s commanding officer before another meeting with Royal Bahamian Police this morning.

An autopsy was expected to be held Monday, Capt. Kirschner said.

The 22-year-old sailor from St. Anthony, N.L., was on a jetty when he apparently fell into the harbour, a popular spot catering to cruise ship passengers and visiting naval personnel.

It’s believed he was pulled from the water by crew members from a visiting cruise ship. "It’s our understanding that he hailed for assistance and was subsequently rescued," Capt. Kirschner said in a news release Friday. "However (he) later succumbed to his injuries."

He said he didn’t know whether there was anything to suggest the death was other than accidental. Leading Seaman Pye, who was single, was a marine engineering mechanic aboard the Canadian patrol frigate.

http://www.herald.ca/NovaScotia/538828.html

I have had the privelledge to know and sail with him. He was a man who worked hard and played harder. He always had a smile and being the Newf that he was, he put many smiles on other's faces. He was always up for a good time, a contributor to ship's morale. Congrats on getting your killicks, its too bad I missed that one.

My condolences to his family and friends. You will be missed.

With our glasses raised, to Travis Pye... Forever on watch...

~BouLite

Thoughts and prayers to LS Pye's family and friends.  :cdn: :salute:

To Leading Seaman Pye's Family and Friends:
My deepest sympathies, may your memories bring you comfort at this time of need.

PoPo  :salute:

I briefly met LS Pye.  He was a graduate of the Marine Institute, and he was preparing to graduate as I came to this school.

I've been honoured to be selected as a member of his funeral party this weekend.  RIP LS Pye  :salute:

RIP LS Pye.  My condolences to your family.  Also to your room mate who is one of our young Stokers on my ship.  He is taking this hard.  :salute: :cdn:

Here's the follow up in the local paper...

http://www.herald.ca/Metro/539624.html

Sailor’s death accidental

By CHRIS LAMBIE Staff Reporter

ADVERTISEMENT

Bahamian police have ruled last week’s death of a Canadian sailor in Nassau was accidental.

Leading Seaman Travis Pye died early Friday after being pulled from Nassau Harbour while his Halifax-based ship, HMCS St. John’s, was visiting the Bahamian capital. The sailor was on shore leave when he fell from a jetty that caters to cruise ship passengers and visiting naval personnel.

There were no witnesses to what happened, and the incident is being called an accidental drowning, said Capt. John Kirschner, commanding officer of the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service for the Atlantic region.

Two crew members at the bow of the cruise ship Norwegian Dawn, which was berthed beside the Canadian frigate, spoke briefly to Leading Seaman Pye before he wound up in the water.

"He actually wanted to board the cruise liner but he was denied access because obviously he wasn’t a guest on the cruiser," Capt. Kirschner said.

Shortly after that, the cruise ship’s crew members saw the sailor swimming in the water and calling out for help, he said.

"Unfortunately, there were no witnesses to how he fell in the water," Capt. Kirschner said.

The cruise ship crew members pulled the sailor from the water but he could not be revived.

"It can’t be determined whether he was going for a swim or whether he tripped and fell in," Capt. Kirschner said. "But certainly there’s no indication whatsoever of any foul play."

An autopsy found Leading Seaman Pye drowned. Samples were taken for toxicology tests, but officials haven’t received the results yet.

The 22-year-old was from the tiny southeastern Labrador community of St. Lewis.

Leading Seaman Pye, who was single, was a marine engineering mechanic aboard the frigate. His body is expected to be flown back to Canada today.

( clambie@herald.ca)

RIP Travis

So it turns out that I knew his brother, in one of my online classes last year. RIP saylor  :salute:

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. (CP) - The body of a Canadian sailor who died while his ship was visiting the Bahamas returned to Newfoundland on Saturday.

A casket carrying the body of Leading Seaman Travis Pye, who was born and raised in St. Lewis, N.L., was carried by his fellow sailors from a plane to a waiting hearse during a ceremony at St. John's International Airport.

Pye, 22, died Nov. 3 after falling into Nassau harbour while his Halifax-based ship, HMCS St. John's, was in the Bahamian capital.

Bahamian police have since ruled the death was an accident.

At Saturday's ceremony, Pye's parents, sister and two brothers each placed a single flower on the coffin.

Also at the service were the commander of Canadian Forces Station St. John's and the head of the navy school where Pye attended.

A funeral was planned Monday in Mount Pleasant.

Pye, who was single, was a marine engineering mechanic aboard the frigate.

Navy sailor laid to rest

By Tara Mullowney
The Telegram

Pye%20funeral%20.jpg

Crewmembers of the HMCS St. John's carry the flag-draped coffin of Leading Seaman Travis Broderick Pye following his funeral in St. John's this morning. Pye, from St. Lewis, Labrador, was laid to rest with full military honours.

A Navy sailor from St. Lewis, Labrador was laid to rest with full military honours in St. John’s this morning

Leading Seaman Travis Broderick Pye died in Nassau, Bahamas Nov. 3, where his ship, the HMCS St. John’s, was visiting. He was on shore leave from a major international exercise and was standing on a jetty when he tumbled into the ocean.

He was rescued by passengers on a visiting cruise ship but later died.

Military personnel — including 15 members of the HMCS St. John’s and veterans of the HMS Newfoundland — Lt.-Gov. Ed Roberts and Cartwright-L’Anse au Clair MHA Yvonne Jones joined Pye’s family at St.Mary the Virgin Anglican church to pay their respects.

“Travis loved his job, especially when it took him to faraway places,” Pye’s older sister, Vanessa Poole, told members of the media. “The customs and languages of other countries fascinated him, and appealed to his sense of adventure.”

Back