• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Blakey said:
I don't think that gives away anything....
This might be a good link to look at though...
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/howtojoin/aptitude_test_e.aspx?bhcp=1

You're right your not giving anything away.  Good starting point, but there is a practice Apptitude test avail on the Public Works web site.  Call your CFRC and get the address.  It's pretty long however (the web address), so bring a pen and paper to the phone.

High school should prepare you for most of the test, it's academic math (as opposed to advanced or AP) The vocab is like a high school language course. The examples provided for you on your application package are a good precursor. Spatial ability is something you either have or you don't have, I don't think it's something you could really practice for. There are examples out there, but I'm not sure if they would help. It' more along the lines of reasoning...if this, then that type thing. Overall it's not that hard, you'll do fine, just go in there with a positive attitude! Good luck  :salute:

The best advice is to get the latest GED study guide from the library.  The Canadian GED's give you tons of practice questions and even a few full practice tests.  Also the book will tell you how to do most problems step by step (especially useful for math questions.) 

I knew my biggest problem for the CFAT would be math so for a few weeks I did a ton of basic math questions (fractions, simple multiplying and dividing, how to add/subtract, multi/divide fractions, percentages, blah blah blah).  Doing that made the math part of the CFAT seem the easiest.

Infantry you only need a few questions right to be considered for the trade so don't sweat it but put some effort in it as well.  You want to improve your chances of getting the 'big call' whenever you can.

One little advice for the math problems - round to the closest easiest number. Every section of your test will be timed, and you don't have a calculator. They ofthen give you problems with numbers like 24.387. Just use the number 25 because you have to do the calculation in your head. If you round all the numbers to a somewhat easy one you will easily be able to get an approximate answer. Usually, the correct answer is the only one that is even close to the number you got.

It's easy to get frazzled and be trying to figure out these complicated caluclations in your head. I'm sure that's part of the test - to see your problem solving ability.

So just remember....keep it simple stupid!

I wouldnt worry about it, since its mostly common sense questions. Remember, its an APTITUDE test, used by the CF to determine which type of learner you are (in most cases)....

Although I know where Shortbus is coming from on this I would caution some folks who aren't good at writing aptitude tests that they shouldn't take the CFAT lightly and allow themselves to be lulled into a false sense of security. If you have trouble with basic math do something about it - my recommendation is find a tutor who can work with you on word problems, fractions, number sequences, decimals, etc. Get the tutor to focus on a test-like situation, and get you to practice doing some math in your head - quickly. Rounding up is a good strategy as noted above. In my very short time assisting in recruiting at a reserve unit, we had a significant number people who didn't make the cut-off score to qualify for infantry 031/23.  They were probably otherwise very capable and might have made great soldiers - but they were denied the opportunity.  Kincanucks, link above is an excellent place to start, cheers, mdh

For the math portion of the test, even though you can't use a calculator, you will be provided with pencil and paper to work out your calculations. 

Don't worry, the test is not hard at all.  The actual questions on the test will be harder than the examples they show you in your application forms though. 

Really, its all relative.   We all have different aptitude abilities.   Some guys say the test is easy, some say it's tough.   I found it tough because I wasn't prepared.   I forgot how to multiply fractions, divide decimals, etc.   However, by far the most difficult part for me was the spatial ability section.   Seeing the timer going and trying to fold those dang boxes was challenging.   There is a book by one of those tutor companies (princeton, or barron, or something) and its called the Mechanical aptitude and spatial ability study guide (something like that). It has a lot of strategies on how to do well on the test.   For example, it can tell you how to approach the question, where to start folding the boxes, some tricks the testers use, etc.  

I know some guys say its an inate ability and while I do agree somewhat I must say there is a lot you can do to improve your score.   It's like IQ.   We are all born with a certain range where our IQ will end up.   Its the environment that we grow up in (school, proper nutrition, stimulating activities) that determines "where" in that range we will end up.   So for the test, even though you may never get 100%, study so that you can get the best score you are capable of.  

Hope all that made sense without getting into a discussion of Weschler, the WAIS-R and IQ testing!

I did not receive a printout of any kind.  I was only given a slip of paper that confirmed I had passed. Do you think that is because I applied to a specific trade/unit?

J.F.
If I were to guess, yes. A bunch of us al went to get tested, already submitting our choices. We tested and then were told that we passed for the trades we selected. I think the list is for those who go in saying: "What can I be in the military?"

-Spooks

Your IQ and $2.50 will get you on a bus.

I have never really put much faith in those tests.

Take this IQ test:  http://www.iqtest.com/

It's the only one I could find that had a timer.

I got: 123

I think if you get at least avarage then you'll do okay on the aptitude test.

Intelligence Interval Cognitive Designation
40 - 55 Mentally disabled (Less than 1% of test takers)
55 - 70 Learning difficulty (2.3% of test takers)
70 - 85 Below average
85 - 115 Average (68% of test takers)
115 - 130 Gifted
130 - 145 Genius (2.3% of test takers)
145 - 160 Extraordinary genius (Less than 1% of test takers)
160+ "Unmeasurable" genius

try this site.

www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/gct2_test_e.htm

This is practice aptitude test suggested by CFRC.

Thanks Rapid fire, you can call me gifted from here on in, I scored 138  ;D I am so Smrt

Wow, i got 112, * start singing "I am so smart, SMRT, I know my ABD's, 1+1 is 3"

i took that test just after grade 10 when i had a c average and i passed

Hey guys,

I'm kinda new in here but I can tell you the CFAT is quite easy to do.. I passed it today with flying colours. I got to dig deep in my memory cause a lot of the math problems (simple operations) were buried very deep under many other things, as I finished high school like 4 years ago.  ;)

Anyways, I get my phys. test tomorrow, my med test on satursday and my interview on friday.. Hope everything will go as good as it went on my CFAT. Good luck to you all in your recruiting process and hope to see you in BMQ soon...  :salute:

cheers

I went in yesterday to do the apptitude test and was off three points what I needed to get Armoured  (all Primary Reserve, are the same score by the way) I tell you what killed me were was the problem solving questions, now I have to wait 3-4 months to take it again or change my application and become a Reg Force Cook (Which I qualified for, but still Debating)

Papke said:
I went in yesterday to do the apptitude test and was off three points what I needed to get Armoured  (all Primary Reserve, are the same score by the way) I tell you what killed me were was the problem solving questions, now I have to wait 3-4 months to take it again or change my application and become a Reg Force Cook (Which I qualified for, but still Debating)

PRes trades have the same scores as the reg force counterparts.  An Infanteer is an Infanteer, a Cook is a Cook, and Crewman  is a Crewman.

Back