• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Exchange Officers Question

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Ok we all know of the Canadian Officers that served in Iraq with the US and I believe the UK. My question is were there any Canadians on exchange with UK Forces in Northern Ireland or in the Falklands? I don't recall hearing of any but I am old and my memory is not the best. Thanks.

The Adj at RMC when I worked there many moons ago did an exchange tour with 2RGJ and went to NI; I had read in Sentinel (I know I'm dating myself) of a Vandoo that did a Falklands tour with the Royal Welch Fusiliers, but that was after the Argentine squatters were evicted.

MM

Based on what I have read and a conversation with the Canadian officer who was on exchange with 3 Para at the time, the British government ruled out taking exchange officers to the Falklands in the force that re-took the Falklands.

I was seconded to the Royal Engineers in the late 80's in Germany.  When my squadron rotated into NI, I had to be moved to another squadron within the regiment (got to do a lot of the training though, which was pretty neat).  When I asked CLDS London about this, they stated that this was the policy.  I know another Canadian Engineer who went down to the Falklands with the RE, but it was after the invasion was over.

Picaninny Skoff said:
I was seconded to the Royal Engineers in the late 80's in Germany.  When my squadron rotated into NI, I had to be moved to another squadron within the regiment (got to do a lot of the training though, which was pretty neat).  When I asked CLDS London about this, they stated that this was the policy.  I know another Canadian Engineer who went down to the Falklands with the RE, but it was after the invasion was over.

IIRC this was always the policy: because of political sensibilities in Canada, the Exchange Officers did not rotate into the Province with their host UK unit.

The Adj at RMC when I worked there many moons ago did an exchange tour with 2RGJ and went to NI

Was this officer's name Burton, by any chance? If so, he did his NI tour when he was actually in the British Army, before he came back to Canada and joined the PPCLI.

Cheers

When I was in the UK I did a traveling road show of the different squadrons, but I couldn't attend 321 even though "peace" had officially broken out.

Didn't last long.

pbi said:
Was this officer's name Burton, by any chance? If so, he did his NI tour when he was actually in the British Army, before he came back to Canada and joined the PPCLI.

Cheers

It was indeed, so I stand corrected.  I guess that answers the question then - NO.

MM

I don't have a copy anymore but the British book, Green Eyed Boys, about 3 Para in the Falklands mentioned that problems were created when both the Cdn and US exchange officers were both denied permission to deploy with the Bn.  As both officers held key appointments it caused some issues when other officers had to be brought in at the last minute to take over those duties.  At least one of those newly appointed British officers failed to make a good impression on his subordinates with the expression "a total wanker whom I loathed and despised" standing out in that chapter. ;D

Our Canadian Exchange Officer accompanied us to most of the Pre-NI training, running ranges etc, but was barred from attending the intelligence briefings (he wasn't too miffed!). He did not deploy with us, but stayed behind to do some juicy course as a consolation prize. We did not take the piss - too much - of course!

I have met a few people who claimed to 'know someone' who deployed to NI as a CF soldier with British units, but I've never been able to see it proven.  Good thing too; they would have had their boots nicked in a heartbeat  ;D

Back