• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

Perhaps set it up the repair shop in the Province where the majority of the tanks are kept? I know such things will never fly with the politicians.....

It most likely won't fly with the OEM either...
Or just buy tanks from a company that already has an armoured vehicle production facility in Canada where maintenance can be done? No OEM conflicts.

Or just buy tanks from a company that already has an armoured vehicle production facility in Canada where maintenance can be done? No OEM conflicts.
That would be the Abrams, and for whatever reason the CAF doesn't seem to want to do that.

It most likely won't fly with the OEM either...
Publicly invite the Germans and the Koreans to discuss Canada's tank needs. You may see the Germans starting to bend. If they don't support us, then there are countries that will.

Publicly invite the Germans and the Koreans to discuss Canada's tank needs. You may see the Germans starting to bend. If they don't support us, then there are countries that will.
Canada is a small market, Germany is backordered for years, and 99.99% of the Leo2's are in Europe, I don't think they would care.
Korea is another Ocean away - with an inferior tank, there is a reason the Polish went to the Abrams for their Regs.

IMHO if Canada wants to remain in the Leo2 market - that is fine, then just go buy 200 A7's, when they are coming off the line take 80 home ad predeploy 120 of them to Latvia.

Canada is a small market, Germany is backordered for years, and 99.99% of the Leo2's are in Europe, I don't think they would care.
Korea is another Ocean away - with an inferior tank, there is a reason the Polish went to the Abrams for their Regs.

IMHO if Canada wants to remain in the Leo2 market - that is fine, then just go buy 200 A7's, when they are coming off the line take 80 home ad predeploy 120 of them to Latvia.
We still need to maintain them and spare parts. The more we can do at home the better for us in the long run and the easier it is to sell to the public.

They actually didn’t go for Abrams for the regs. The K2 / Abram split is purely geographic.

That being said I’m in favour of more tanks, the small pros and cons of the nature of those I’m largely ambivalent towards. While I prefer the Abrams for logistics, I’ll paraphrase theChieftan’s YouTube video about Polands k2 purchase “it’s a modern battle tank it’ll do the job just about as well as any other.”

K2 apparently did very well in Norwegian trials and some disappointment that it was not chosen. But the K2 is quite a bit lighter with one less road wheel so one would think that it would be less well protected?

That would be the Abrams, and for whatever reason the CAF doesn't seem to want to do that.
It's not green enough and we can't afford the fleet of tanker trucks to keep one moving.

I'm holding out for the Abrams X

:giggle:

I'd argue then the Abrams SepV4 is a better option.
GDLS already has a significant compound in Canada, and Ohio is pretty close to the border anyway.
I would not be sad to get the Abrams, but as FJAG points out, we also don't have the fuel logistical support to run them in the field. I do think the German design offers more advantage in regards to the ARV/AEV and bridging variants. A big advantage of the K2 is that Germany has less of a say in how they get used and they are going to dominate the export market. The Koreans would work with any setup we wished, which has a political benefit. I would foresee an Abrams buy as being opposed by many, just because it's American, regardless of how beneficial the deal is for us.

I would not be sad to get the Abrams, but as FJAG points out, we also don't have the fuel logistical support to run them in the field. I do think the German design offers more advantage in regards to the ARV/AEV and bridging variants. A big advantage of the K2 is that Germany has less of a say in how they get used and they are going to dominate the export market. The Koreans would work with any setup we wished, which has a political benefit. I would foresee an Abrams buy as being opposed by many, just because it's American, regardless of how beneficial the deal is for us.
And yet, Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Poland and Iraq have found the ways and means to operate the Abrams.

Contract the local fuel supplier to provide fuel trucks during exercise. Even lease the trucks when required.
Frac pumps were burning 1200 plus liters a hour per pump x16 pumps was alot of fuel. We always had a infield body job running 24hrs a day fueling pumps, one fuel truck emptied another was ready to go.
Use them to top up your tactical trucks at the admin area or what ever. More then workable solutions.
Didn't contractors of various groups deliver fuel to Afghanistan

Contract the local fuel supplier to provide fuel trucks during exercise. Even lease the trucks when required.
Frac pumps were burning 1200 plus liters a hour per pump x16 pumps was alot of fuel. We always had a infield body job running 24hrs a day fueling pumps, one fuel truck emptied another was ready to go.
Use them to top up your tactical trucks at the admin area or what ever. More then workable solutions.
Didn't contractors of various groups deliver fuel to Afghanistan
There refueling companies who specialize in off road refueling of heavy construction equipment. They pull into construction sites, refuel and leave. So this method could be adopted for use I am sure. ( They charge enough to show up all hours of the day and night, so there is money to be made and to be spent)

Yes but they take their military seriously (A bit of a joke at our expense for KSA and Iraq)
You can run diesel in the Abrams. Just still burns it like a pig.
The V4 at least has the APU, so unless you are moving the vehicle you don’t need to run the turbine.

Back