• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's tanks

If this group had control over purchasing of equipment for the CAF, the budget would increase would be huge and every base in Canada would be in need of serious upgrades and new ranges.

The shopping list includes

New trucks, ( some already coming on line and and upgrades in numbers) LSVW dumped, Milcot dumped
Tanks, M1 family, or Leo Family no one has made a sound argument on which model, just the need for more
LAV Family upgrades and rebuilds ( get rid of the aged out m113 units)
TAPV ( most likely dumped )
SPG only thing everyone agrees on is the caliber has to be 155mm wheeled or tracked to be decided later
towed guns, no one agrees, 105, 155 just something
AD anything is better than nothing

I personally would like to see an updated LEO, already have them in stock and everyone is familiar with how they work so updating the training plan would be easy.

Biggest issue would be training grounds and ranges as they would be very crowded
and either pmq's or single's residences (no joke) current facilities are limited and falling apart and a private's budget won't buy anything around any base.

Reactions: ueo
Trying to wrap my head around the path to a (nearly- ignoring main gun difference) standardized fleet

2A4M - upgrade to the 17A2 day/night commander's periscope
2A6M - turret digitization
2A4
  • turret to electric drive,
  • upgrade to 17A2,
  • turret digitization,
  • mine protection,
  • applique armour (turret and side)

How do those rank in terms of necessity, difficulty, and cost?
What is the minimum upgrade to keep the A4's as viable training tanks at a lower dollar figure than those intended for potential deployment?

Trying to wrap my head around the path to a (nearly- ignoring main gun difference) standardized fleet

2A4M - upgrade to the 17A2 day/night commander's periscope
2A6M - turret digitization
2A4
  • turret to electric drive,
  • upgrade to 17A2,
  • turret digitization,
  • mine protection,
  • applique armour (turret and side)

How do those rank in terms of necessity, difficulty, and cost?
What is the minimum upgrade to keep the A4's as viable training tanks at a lower dollar figure than those intended for potential deployment?
The way to do it is the same as the other upgrades of the last decade. LAV, CH-148 etc. Its call Ship of Theseus process.

First pick the option package you want for the tanks. Leo 2A7 CAN etc.

Award "upgrade" contract to OEM with the IP license so limiting bidders. Issue ACAN

That OEM builds approx 80 tanks kits. A "kit" being the whole tank.

Bring Canadian tanks to OEM's Canadian facility to start "upgrade" process....Remove Number Plate. Put Number plate aside. Disassemble unit to some level put all parts aside.
Unpackage OEM upgrade part kit. Assemble all of those parts into "upgraded" tank. Take the set aside number plate and one part from the disassembled pile and then bolt on the upgraded tank. Done.

Only problem here is that the LEO 2 has two fathers. Rheinmetall and Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH. Rheinmetall is the natural OEM for this as they have a footprint in Canada. Let two of them fight it out before hand with a wink wink.

The way to do it is the same as the other upgrades of the last decade. LAV, CH-148 etc. Its call Ship of Theseus process.

First pick the option package you want for the tanks. Leo 2A7 CAN etc.

Award "upgrade" contract to OEM with the IP license so limiting bidders. Issue ACAN

That OEM builds approx 80 tanks kits. A "kit" being the whole tank.

Bring Canadian tanks to OEM's Canadian facility to start "upgrade" process....Remove Number Plate. Put Number plate aside. Disassemble unit to some level put all parts aside.
Unpackage OEM upgrade part kit. Assemble all of those parts into "upgraded" tank. Take the set aside number plate and one part from the disassembled pile and then bolt on the upgraded tank. Done.

Only problem here is that the LEO 2 has two fathers. Rheinmetall and Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH. Rheinmetall is the natural OEM for this as they have a footprint in Canada. Let two of them fight it out before hand with a wink wink.
As long as the hulls are still good and not fatigued and cracked. You need a good base to start any rebuild with.

As long as the hulls are still good and not fatigued and cracked. You need a good base to start any rebuild with.

Particularly so in a country with our weather/climate extremities. Steel can be negatively affected becoming brittle in cold weather.

They seem to have repairing, fixing and overhauling "modern spaced armor" at ANNISTON ARMY DEPOT down pat.
i doubt you would see leopard 2 go south of the border for overhaul, could we send them back to germany to get done? sure but no way would they set up a facility in canada to do it for our tiny fleet. If we ordered say another 200+ leopards then they might consider such a facility but not with such a small fleet that we already have. I am fully in favour of 3 full regiments of leopards, plus a 4th regiment dispersed to training bases for the PRes ( certain units only) but that would require budget we do not have, leadership we do not have, and man power we do not have, and wont have any time soon.

i doubt you would see leopard 2 go south of the border for overhaul, could we send them back to germany to get done? sure but no way would they set up a facility in canada to do it for our tiny fleet. If we ordered say another 200+ leopards then they might consider such a facility but not with such a small fleet that we already have. I am fully in favour of 3 full regiments of leopards, plus a 4th regiment dispersed to training bases for the PRes ( certain units only) but that would require budget we do not have, leadership we do not have, and man power we do not have, and wont have any time soon.
I never said we would send our tanks south of the border. Just mentioning there is the capability to weld tank hulls up.
I think he means fixing and welding modern spaced Armour is just not grab a stick and lay a bead. Lol
My comment was in response to this.

Back